Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the Motor Trend review said "impacts seem a bit too severe", I took it upon myself to conduct my own little test. I picked out a notably rough road near the Infiniti dealership (Q50Aggie - Patterson road if you want to try it out yourself) and test drove 3 different Q50 configurations over it. These included:

• Hybrid Sport
  • 3.7 Premium Non-sport with standard 17" wheels
  • 3.7 Premium Non-sport with 19" wheels
I would describe the ride feel with the Hybrid Sport as stiff, but not harsh. You could definitely feel all of those miscellaneous bumps, but it was about what I expected from a sport suspension.

Going to the Premium Non-sport with standard wheels definitely muted the feel of the bumps. They didn't go away, but they felt quite a bit softer.

Finally, the Premium Non-sport with 19" wheels very closely resembled the ride of the Hybrid Sport in terms of clearly feeling all the bumps. It seems that the larger wheels were a bigger factor than the suspension when it comes to this particular aspect of the Q50 ride.

This was an area that I was interested in since I am still trying to decide between the sport and non-sport suspensions. I thought it might be of interest to you guys.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
After the Motor Trend review said "impacts seem a bit too severe", I took it upon myself to conduct my own little test. I picked out a notably rough road near the Infiniti dealership (Q50Aggie - Patterson road if you want to try it out yourself) and test drove 3 different Q50 configurations over it. These included:

• Hybrid Sport
  • 3.7 Premium Non-sport with standard 17" wheels
  • 3.7 Premium Non-sport with 19" wheels
I would describe the ride feel with the Hybrid Sport as stiff, but not harsh. You could definitely feel all of those miscellaneous bumps, but it was about what I expected from a sport suspension.

Going to the Premium Non-sport with standard wheels definitely muted the feel of the bumps. They didn't go away, but they felt quite a bit softer.

Finally, the Premium Non-sport with 19" wheels very closely resembled the ride of the Hybrid Sport in terms of clearly feeling all the bumps. It seems that the larger wheels were a bigger factor than the suspension when it comes to this particular aspect of the Q50 ride.

This was an area that I was interested in since I am still trying to decide between the sport and non-sport suspensions. I thought it might be of interest to you guys.
Thanks, all my test drives have included a drive down Patterson for that very reason :)
I would agree with you that it is stiff, but not in a bad way. I test drove the white premium with 19" wheels, as well as my Hybrid Sport, and the ride felt pretty similar to me. I did not drive any with the 17" wheels. Did you happen to get any pictures of the Hybrid Sport you drove? I never got time to snap any good pictures of my Hybrid Sport out in the open (only got pictures under the parking garage). I assume you drove the other Hybrid Sport :) You should buy it, and we'll have twin cars :)

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Hmmm,

Well good for taking the initiative on this! I'm still irritated that you're able to actually drive the car(s) before me! :p

And does no one take photos during their test drives anymore? I think they really help in connecting the feedback with observations....and we can never have enough pics! :D

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Hmmm,

Well good for taking the initiative on this! I'm still irritated that you're able to actually drive the car(s) before me! :p

And does no one take photos during their test drives anymore? I think they really help in connecting the feedback with observations....and we can never have enough pics! :D
I took pictures. You may have to contort yourself to see them, but at least I took them. And some of them turned out quite nice too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
thank you for your post, that helps and confirms my test, I tried a hybrid sports and the premium with 17", the 17" without the sport suspension felt more confortable but I would not qualify as comfortale as a Lexus I 250 or even the BMW 328i, I gues that is the price to pay fo sportiness and having the new gadgets.
Something that I have not seen posted by anyone here, is the "lag" I felt in the brakes on the Hybryd sports, it took forever before the brakes would start actually kicking in after I started pressing the brakes, does anyone here knows if this is normall on hybrid cars?

So, in summay, for my taste, I'll stick with the 17", I live in Houston and some roads here are really not conducent to low profile tyres. THese are expensive to replace, and back surgery is also painful from what I heard:p

·
Registered
60 Posts
The "leg" is typical for hybrid cars. Pressing the brake pedal lightly actually charges the hybrid battery. I'm driving a Prius and got used to it
in few days.
thank you for the information, this lagging effect it is probably matter of getting used as you said, it just took my by surprise, I had to press the pedal almost half way down before I could start feeling the car reacting to the break, kind of annoying when you are used to get instant feedback on the non hybrids
Esteban

·
Registered
348 Posts
As said before, it is a matter of getting used to it. It is not as bad on the Prius
(compared to the M35H I tried). You would not notice it after few days.
Now, the run flats are a safety issue:D

·
Registered
395 Posts
Just placed my order for a Q50 non-sport with 19 inch tires. I really didn't want the 19s, but the dealer said that there were no CA emission control 17 inch Q's in the pipe line in my option package selections.

The dealer said that 19 inchers were on most premium/deluxe/tech configurations.

So I test drove a Q50 sport today to compared it to my 2003 G35 and a Q with 17 inch wheels I had test driven a month ago prior.

• Q50 sport: tire pressure started at 33-34 and finished with 34-35psi
  • Q50 Hybrid with 17 inch tires: tire pressure started at 38-40 and finished with 39-41psi
  • 2003 G35: Hancook tire pressure typically 36 front, 35 rear.

I was surprised how smooth the 19 inchers were. Sure, I could feel more of the bumps, and the car did feel tighter. But the ride was still remarkably smooth. The 17 inchers seemed to absorb more than the 19s. After driving both, I would be able to tell the difference if I were blind folded.

The most interesting thing is that the 19 inch wheels seemed to ride smoother than my G with 17 inch wheels. When my G hits a bump, the whole car seems to react and shutter a little (have new kyb OE replacement cartridges in the front). Not so with the Q with 19 inch wheels. The Q seems to absorb the bumps and they melt away quickly.

The 17 inch wheels are smoother. but not that much more. Part of the reason may be the tire air pressure in my test cars.

In the end, I was a lot less concern about 19 inch wheel ride comfort and decided they were okay.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.