Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,142 Posts
I may do this after my turbos are installed.

If I keep the height as high as the new coilovers can go, could I get away without the SPL parts?

I guess with the labor the SPL parts are the way to go since it's really no difference in labor to do it at the same time.

Looking forward to your review post install.

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
I may do this after my turbos are installed.

If I keep the height as high as the new coilovers can go, could I get away without the SPL parts?

I guess with the labor the SPL parts are the way to go since it's really no difference in labor to do it at the same time.

Looking forward to your review post install.
You can get away with a very mild drop.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,142 Posts
I don't consider our Monroe system all that lacking. These are the obvious replacement route. If the review is very positive I may consider an earlier replacement.

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
I don't consider our Monroe system all that lacking. These are the obvious replacement route. If the review is very positive I may consider an earlier replacement.
I encourage you to consider a little bit harder.

The RSR coilovers are just one step more than the factory sport setting. They are not harsh.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,142 Posts
Agreed, they seem to be exactly what I was looking for way back when. I'll talk to IridiumRS400 after he has some drive time on them to get the fine details, and answer a few questions for me. Looks like they would round out my build perfectly.

Reactions: styles

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
UPDATE: Car was driven this morning to the other shop for the sound deadening installation. The install will cover the trunk, rear sidewalls next to the back seat, and the front doors. These are areas considered to have the most "tinny" metal, and benefit from the sound deadening addition the most. Car should be done by this evening, and will be brought back to the race shop in the morning for re-assembly of the interior. I expect to get the car back on Friday.

Bear with me on this next explanation @jodedor, as I am new at this suspension set-up game... :unsure: In addition to one inch drop, the front wheels were set to '0' toe, with camber set at '-2.5'. The rear wheels were set with some toe-in (for stability and to help under braking), and the camber was set at '-1.5'. On the dampening settings, right now the fronts are set to "12" out of "36" clicks, and the rears are set to "8" out of "36" clicks. These settings define the "Standard" Drive Mode setting. With the "Sport" Drive Mode setting selected, the internal fluid is charged, in a similar manner to the stock Monroe dampers, which consequently firms up both the compression & rebound dampening.

Phew...!

Oh, and go figure, the C/Os for my Q60 AWD on the RS-R website now show "out-of-stock". Either they only had enough parts to assemble the rear (replacement) C/Os for my car, or they purged stock to check for the bushing issue...

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,142 Posts
Good to hear as I felt the bushing issue was not just your pair. Hopefully the new inventory will be 100%.

👍🏻👍🏻

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
UPDATE: Car was driven this morning to the other shop for the sound deadening installation. The install will cover the trunk, rear sidewalls next to the back seat, and the front doors. These are areas considered to have the most "tinny" metal, and benefit from the sound deadening addition the most. Car should be done by this evening, and will be brought back to the race shop in the morning for re-assembly of the interior. I expect to get the car back on Friday.

Bear with me on this next explanation @jodedor, as I am new at this suspension set-up game... :unsure: In addition to one inch drop, the front wheels were set to '0' toe, with camber set at '-2'. The rear wheels were set with some toe-in (for stability and to help under braking), and the camber was set at '-1.5'. On the dampening settings, right now the fronts are set to "12" out of "36" clicks, and the rears are set to "8" out of "36" clicks. These settings define the "Standard" Drive Mode setting. With the "Sport" Drive Mode setting selected, the internal fluid is charged, in a similar manner to the stock Monroe dampers, which consequently firms up both the compression & rebound dampening.

Phew...!

Oh, and go figure, the C/Os for my Q60 AWD on the RS-R website now show "out-of-stock". Either they only had enough parts to assemble the rear (replacement) C/Os for my car, or they purged stock to check for the bushing issue...
I am in a sedan, so the suspension settings mmmmmmmmay be different. Also, remember that I am on 275 all around.

You have added a rear anti-sway bar and you are running 255 tires IIRC.

Let's start with dampener setting. Mine are at full hard up front and rears are at about 8 clicks from full hard. could there be a difference in valving?

Without an anti-sway bar, my camber is -1.6 all around with zero toe. I haven't found any issues with stability on surface streets. My car feels neutral through turns. If I stiffened up the rear anti-sway bar, I would have more negative camber in the rear.

You are just gonna have to drive it to know.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
245/40R19.

Let's start with dampener setting. Mine are at full hard up front and rears are at about 8 clicks from full hard. could there be a difference in valving?
The tech support at RS-R said changing from "Standard" to "Sport" modes will affect the dampening settings ~halfway of full-scale, or "18" clicks, thus it will be at "30"/"36" (relative) clicks up front, and "26"/"36" (relative) clicks up in the back when in "Sport" mode. Recall, the fluid changes will affect compression & rebound dampening. Does the standard RS-R C/Os have adjustable compression dampening, too?

The Q60 AWD spring rates are 10kg/mm (560 lbs/in) front and 5kg/mm (280lbs/in) rear. I recall you were running a higher spring rate on the back C/Os?

Without an anti-sway bar, my camber is -1.6 all around with zero toe. I haven't found any issues with stability on surface streets. My car feels neutral through turns. If I stiffened up the rear anti-sway bar, I would have more negative camber in the rear.
My Stillen RSB is set right now on the less-stiffer setting.

Yup, and I am looking forward to it.

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
My spring rates are the same as yours.

I considered getting a custom set of springs and valving but decided to put the mod money on the G.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,142 Posts
Biting the bullet on the RS-R DDS compatible coilovers.

@IridiumRS400 you said:

"dampening settings, right now the fronts are set to "12" out of "36" clicks, and the rears are set to "8" out of "36" clicks."

Front ..is that 12 up from full down/in or 12 clicks down from full up/out...same? for the rear.

I was not clear on how to replicate your settings when mine are installed.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Biting the bullet on the RS-R DDS compatible coilovers.

@IridiumRS400 you said:

"dampening settings, right now the fronts are set to "12" out of "36" clicks, and the rears are set to "8" out of "36" clicks."

Front ..is that 12 up from full down/in or 12 clicks down from full up/out...same? for the rear.

I was not clear on how to replicate your settings when mine are installed.
Settings are "X" clicks from Full Soft.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,142 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
3,851 Posts
I am in a sedan, so the suspension settings mmmmmmmmay be different. Also, remember that I am on 275 all around.

275s in the front? You maniac! (y)

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,142 Posts
I just got off the phone with RS-R technical support and was informed that the rear damping adjusters are accessible from the fender well, not the top, like the front coilovers and other brand rear coilovers that need an extended cable to adjust the rear dampening. A huge 👍🏻👍🏻

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
I just got off the phone with RS-R technical support and was informed that the rear damping adjusters are accessible from the fender well, not the top, like the front coilovers and other brand rear coilovers that need an extended cable to adjust the rear dampening. A huge 👍🏻👍🏻
I believe I mentioned that before...apologies if I didn't.

That is why the active coilovers don't need extenders for the rear. However, the adjustment is not at the bottom...it is very close to the top of the strut but accessible from underneath the car.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
UPDATE: Sorry for the delay - when I got my Q back, my initial test drive was cut short because the left front dust shield was too close to the Stoptech 380mm rotor at the bottom, and it made an intermittent scraping noise. Note: I never needed to cut the dust shields for clearance from the rotors, I just bent them back. It's likely the dust shield got bent when the front RS-R C/O was installed.

I finally got some time to get the car on the lift, as I need to rotate the tires anyway. I removed the front wheel, tightened two lugs to clamp down the rotor, then inserted some plastic wedges at a couple of places between the rotor and the dust shield. I then bent the bottom of the dust shield to achieve some clearance. Note: If you don't use some sort of wedge(s), it's impossible to permanently bend the dust shield at the point where you want more clearance, if that makes sense...

Ok, enough about the dust shield. How does this car handle? Like it's on rails. The front end is really responsive to input, even with the stock Dumflats!!! At the limit, you hear the tires squealing, (@37 psi cold tire pressure). Highway off-ramp sweepers I can now carry at 15 mph faster than before the upgrade.

The ride height is now a modest one inch lower. The car tracks straight with no tram-lining. The C/Os work well in "Standard" mode (compliant for the Mrs.), and are quite firmer in "Sport" & "Sport+" mode.

Overall, I'm happy with the suspension upgrades - RS-R did a good job on setting the spring rates. I now need to get some wheels and tires.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Took some pics at dusk tonight of my Q60 with the 1" drop.

Since this week is the week of July 4th, I included the Stars 'n Stripes in my 1st pic :)

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
3,851 Posts
^ Gorgeous!

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,142 Posts
When are you going to trash those dumbflops! 🤮 😂🤣😂

My Coilovers are in my livingroom. Gathering up my parts so I have everything here, then will bring my car in. Waiting on my Driveshaft and front LSD. LSD ships tomorrow, driveshaft is being made as I type.

Once I have ETA's on them I'll schedule the shop time.

Your car looks SWEET! The blacked out grill n chrome delete really makes it.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts