Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe run flats aren't the problem, maybe it's just these Bridgestones are crappy! Interesting article

Many BMW owners are opting to replace their factory run-flat tires with conventional non-run-flat tires. One can literally find hundreds of posts across popular BMW forums filled with disapproval of the Original Equipment run-flat tires. Many customers have complained that the tire is either too stiff, gets too many bubbles or wears out too quickly.

While it seems that some drivers are happy with their switch to non-run-flat tires, not everyone is in the majority. Be sure to study the trade-offs, as well as some of the alternatives you may not have considered.

Since many have tested only one or two models of run-flat tires and assume all run-flats have the same problems, it's important to remember not all run-flat tires are created equal. Did you know there are newer generations of run-flat tires available today that eclipse the older technology? One shining example is the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP which is praised in forums as an improvement over older run-flat models in regards to ride comfort, wet and dry grip, as well as treadwear. Another example is the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT, which is an outstanding all-season run-flat tire.

Run-flat tires do not wear out faster. Comparing the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 against the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP (run-flat model), both tires have the same rubber compound, same dry and wet grip and same treadwear. The PS2 ZP is an outstanding run-flat tire. Take a look at this review of the tire from a 2007 BMW 335i owner:
"Took the car out for a long drive, mostly back roads and some interstate to take advantage of our 80 degree day. This tire will take all of your preconceived notions regarding the harshness and ride of RFT and throw them out the window. I still cannot get over how smooth the ride is. This car now rides smoother than it did with non-run-flat all-seasons that just came off. Also, this is one very quiet tire.
As far as the handling, sticks like glue! The steering response and on-center feel is exceptional. While I think the Bridgestones had a slightly (very slightly) quicker turn-in, the PS2 ZP does not have the 'nervousness' that was associated with the Bridgestone that required those constant steering inputs. Bottom line, for those of you like me who did not prefer the original Bridgestones, but still want RFT capability for whatever reason, your prayers have been answered by Michelin." -- Tire Rack Consumer Review, 2007 BMW 335i

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, the Dunlop 19's have even worse reviews than the Bridgestone 17's. Avg rating of a 2 versus Micheline Pilot Sport ratings of 9. 19" Pilot Sport A/S 3 costs $237 at Discount Tire and I'm guessing they will give me $100 for the Dunlops. Looking like a better and better option.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Great article and I can confirm the RFT OE on BMW were garbage. Next door neighbor had them on his 2011 550 M sport and had the bubbling sidewall issue eventually on all 4 tires. Of Course you couldn't purchase them but thru BMW and they racked him over the coals.

Like many on this forum, when the initial news of RFT on the Q50 made news here I was disappointed. After reading the article this gives me hope.

Yes I can personally comment on how GOOD the Michelin Pilot super sports are since I am running them on all 4 corners now... amazing, handling, performing tire........ever :D

·
Registered
260 Posts
I agree the Michelin Pilot Sport ZPs look good, but they're impossible to find in a 245/40R19 size.
BTW when you mention $237 for the A/S 3 it's probably for the V-rated, I prefer the Y-rated (XL) at $269, especially if I go for the hybrid. I suppose they'll be closer to the run-flats that the car is tuned for at the factory.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree the Michelin Pilot Sport ZPs look good, but they're impossible to find in a 245/40R19 size.
BTW when you mention $237 for the A/S 3 it's probably for the V-rated, I prefer the Y-rated (XL) at $269, especially if I go for the hybrid. I suppose they'll be closer to the run-flats that the car is tuned for at the factory.
Either way, it will be a good deal if they'll give me at least 100 for the Dunlops and if I don't do this now, it sounds like I'll just have to do it in a year anyway and then I get nothing.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone know yet whether Infiniti will specifically require lease returns to come back with run flats?

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the lease contract requires you to return the car with everything exactly the way you bought it......has to be same tire and same exact brand
I've never returned a lease with the same brand and no one has ever said anything

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just checked my new lease paperwork and the exact language says "comparable type and size"
I suppose they could say comparable type has to be a run flat, but it's not specific enough if you really argued and I don't think they will notice or care if you return it with high quality non run flats

·
Registered
30 Posts
what kind of a guarantee is the manufacturer going to give me against vibration

Great article and I can confirm the RFT OE on BMW were garbage. Next door neighbor had them on his 2011 550 M sport and had the bubbling sidewall issue eventually on all 4 tires. Of Course you couldn't purchase them but thru BMW and they racked him over the coals.

Like many on this forum, when the initial news of RFT on the Q50 made news here I was disappointed. After reading the article this gives me hope.

Yes I can personally comment on how GOOD the Michelin Pilot super sports are since I am running them on all 4 corners now... amazing, handling, performing tire........ever :D

But changing the tires is an experiment, they have not been tested on the Q50 under a variety of siutations. I'm spending $50k and I want a finished product that has been tested to work well as delivered.

Pat Goss had a segment that, if I'm understanding it, says you can buy a tire with the right specs but it will not work well at all on your car:
Tires & Ride Quality | MotorWeek

So, on this particular car, anything above 50 miles per hour, the steering wheel shook like crazy; there was no way to fix it. The only fix was to buy another tire. So, if your car has low profile tires, before you buy replacements, you have to ask the question, what kind of a guarantee is the manufacturer going to give me against harshness in drive or vibration in ride. You want to make sure that the tires that you buy are guaranteed to ride smoothly.
I guess with the steer-by-wire the steering wheel is not goning to shake like crazy.... but will that register as a problem and close the clutch?

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Based on what?
Based on I work at a dealership where people return leases all the time.

It is written that lease customers have to return car with tires of the same specs. I.e. sport pkg m's had to come back with w,y,z speed rated 20's.

BMW and others with rft require it, so I see no reason it would be different for Infiniti. It is possible you'd get a lazy inspector that doesn't notice, but do you want to bet on that? I wouldn't.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: ikagan
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.