Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a very disappointing safety design flaw with the Q50S Child safety seat system.

The first and most significant Problem:
*The upper “Latch” hook on the rear package tray of the Q50S is too close to the seat.
-The hook when exposed is located approximately 4.5 inches from the front of the seat cushion.
-When fully retracted, a top latch assembly on a child seat is at least 6-8” (hook, 2x doubled cross stitched belt, release mechanism).

I will have to use the seatbelt option in tandem with the latch system. Which is ridiculous and not nearly as effective. Its as if they didn’t actually dry fit child seats.

My household uses two brands of Child Seats for my 3 year old. Britax and Evenflo. Both are top rated safety seats which use the “Latch” system, but also have the ability to use a seatbelt option. These seats have been used in over 40 different vehicles and have NEVER experienced this issue. I went next door to my neighbor and we tried his Eddie Bauer and McLaren brands with the exact same result. WTF?!

Future Solution
The best re-design solution IMO is for Infinity to put the hooks on the back of the rear seats. Instead of the hidden latch hook covers on top of the package tray, they should be hidden slots behind the head rest leading into the trunk to a hook 1/2 down the seat back like 90% of the other auto makers. It would be harder so see behind the headrest (so more visually pleasing) and a multitude more functional.

This is just a dumb oversight for such a fantastic car.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I have found a very disappointing safety design flaw with the Q50S Child safety seat system.

The first and most significant Problem:
*The upper “Latch” hook on the rear package tray of the Q50S is too close to the seat.
-The hook when exposed is located approximately 4.5 inches from the front of the seat cushion.
-When fully retracted, a top latch assembly on a child seat is at least 6-8” (hook, 2x doubled cross stitched belt, release mechanism).

I will have to use the seatbelt option in tandem with the latch system. Which is ridiculous and not nearly as effective. Its as if they didn’t actually dry fit child seats.

My household uses two brands of Child Seats for my 3 year old. Britax and Evenflo. Both are top rated safety seats which use the “Latch” system, but also have the ability to use a seatbelt option. These seats have been used in over 40 different vehicles and have NEVER experienced this issue. I went next door to my neighbor and we tried his Eddie Bauer and McLaren brands with the exact same result. WTF?!

Future Solution
The best re-design solution IMO is for Infinity to put the hooks on the back of the rear seats. Instead of the hidden latch hook covers on top of the package tray, they should be hidden slots behind the head rest leading into the trunk to a hook 1/2 down the seat back like 90% of the other auto makers. It would be harder so see behind the headrest (so more visually pleasing) and a multitude more functional.

This is just a dumb oversight for such a fantastic car.
This is the kind of thing that companies need to hear. Many times, consumers are better able to envision the best way for something to work. Maybe you could forward this to the "powers that be," and see if they give you a response. Luckily, I no longer have to worry about such things.:)

Machmike, I'd just like you to know that, even though I may disagree with you about things, I like reading what you write; except for the misspelling of Infiniti;), your posts are very well-written. It's sometimes very refreshing that I don't have to figure out what you are saying.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This is the kind of thing that companies need to hear. Many times, consumers are better able to envision the best way for something to work. Maybe you could forward this to the "powers that be," and see if they give you a response. Luckily, I no longer have to worry about such things.:)

Machmike, I'd just like you to know that, even though I may disagree with you about things, I like reading what you write; except for the misspelling of Infiniti;), your posts are very well-written. It's sometimes very refreshing that I don't have to figure out what you are saying.:laugh:
Argh, I used a text editor to type. It was super early in the AM. You busted me on an auto corrected word. LOL (where is a fawn picture when i need one). Thanks for the compliment. I write over 300 SOPs yearly (Standard Operating Procedures). This may contribute to some of the clarity. I like the fact that people don't agree on everything. Life would be totally boring that way. ;). You are extremely witty, clearly you read everything before responding. I still can't believe you had me convinced I spelled fawn incorrectly.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which leads me to my next question:

Do we have any forward facing child seat users who are successfully using the upper latch system? If so, what brand and model?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Argh, I used a text editor to type. It was super early in the AM. You busted me on an auto corrected word. LOL (where is a fawn picture when i need one). Thanks for the compliment. I write over 300 SOPs yearly (Standard Operating Procedures). This may contribute to some of the clarity. I like the fact that people don't agree on everything. Life would be totally boring that way. ;). You are extremely witty, clearly you read everything before responding. I still can't believe you had me convinced I spelled fawn incorrectly.
fawn? Congratulations, you've completely confused me.>:D

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are doing it again...I am still questioning my use of 'fawn'. You must have gone to some sick social engineering class in your youth. Stop the cruelty.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOGkDtc6QAw

I am going to try a different seat from this list to see if I get better results. I have the Evenflo Titan and the Britax Marathon 70. I'll keep everyone interested updated on my search.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just wait till you have to install boosters and the rear belts are impossible to buckle.
I had to get a third party belt extender to be able to use my boosters.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the chance of your child dying increases exponentially, especially internal decapitation. use all 3 latches or use the seatbelt method.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Which leads me to my next question:

Do we have any forward facing child seat users who are successfully using the upper latch system? If so, what brand and model?
I have no problem with my sons forward facing seat. I have a Britax Boulevard and I use the 2 bottom anchors as well as the top one behind the seat head rest no problem. I got this car after we switched him facing forwards so I haven't experienced the rear facing issue.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Look at my other post from a few days ago. The new Britax click tight systems are fantastic with the Q50. forward or rear facing. I prefer the marathon britax click tight seat.

Cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.