Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I went to my local Infiniti dealer today for a service appointment and first off, as I was riding my car up the ramp towards the customer parking lot, I noticed an Obsidian Black Q50 Sport sitting in the front of the building. :eek: I instantly got a little excited--naturally!

So, after I dropped off my key with the service guy and sat in the waiting room with my lunch, I knew it was a matter of time before the Sales Manager walked by and spotted me (Him and I have...history.. :p ).

He immediately told me about the Q50's being in and he invited me to take a look at the one that was outside. So after I finished my lunch, I found him and I took my official first good look at the car. As mentioned, it was an Obsidian Black Premium Sport RWD with Nav and Spare Tire Packages. It had Stone interior with aluminum trim (I also confirmed that I'm not that big of a fan of the aluminum).

Exterior:
Not much I can say here. It was black! Pretty much as I expected. I'm not sure if it was because it was raining and very gloomy out, but the Black didn't stand out that much to me. With a darker paint littered with raindrops, it was harder to see all of the curves and angles of the car and it's quite a shame. I still like how the 19" wheels look on the car as well as the contrast with the darker grille. I also turned on the lights and the hazards to take a look at the new running lights. :) Another thing I really like is the new trunk release/scoop! It makes opening and accessing the trunk 100% easier! That was something I didn't really anticipate.

Interior:
The first thing I noticed was how aesthetically premium everything felt. From the doors, to the seats, to the center console, Infiniti has maintained its premium presence very well in the cabin. Right away, as I opened the doors, I really liked how the additional Bose speakers are integrated into the doors. They look very artful and not an afterthought. This is also my first time seeing the multi-color striped pattern seats of the Sport seats. I think they add a lot of additional style and flavor to the car, which helps to substantiate the race-like motivations of the car!

Another thing that I really loved about the interior is the new steering wheel. The wheel seems a bit more smaller in diameter and stocky (which I like) and the material feels really good to the touch as well as the buttons. The controls on the wheel feel a lot more solid and user-friendly in their position than the current G. I figured out how to use them immediately.

Infotainment:
The first thing I wanted to test was the new little navigation knob and controls at the center. Wow, what an improvement! It's very slick and ergonomically placed. Again, very easy to understand and use. I do agree that the navigation top screen resolution seems to be a little "wonky", but it wasn't a huge deal I suppose. I think I'd have to spend more time with it.

As for the Intouch interaction, I thought it was also very easy to use and much easier to use compared to anything I've seen in a Chrysler, Lexus, BMW, or Cadillac. The touch screen components and menus for the most part were quick to navigate--just as quick as they are in the current G at least. My only complaint is that there still seemed to be a lot of lag in the response to the touch screen when it came to the smaller pressing points/buttons. I'll be sure to post some more proper photos and videos when I come back to actually test drive one.

Once I realized that the car I was sitting in didn't have all of the gadgets in it that I really wanted to check out, I decided to shift my focus into looking at some of the other cars they had out on the lot.

On the way, I dazzled the sales manager with my knowledge of the names of all of the different paint colors (as well as convincing him that the Q50 will still be offered in Malbec Black--he didn't seem sure).

All of the rest of the cars still had their Intouch Software update stickers put on the inside and weren't available for testing. I believe there were two Premiums, two Sports, and two Hybrids (one Premium and one Sport). This was my first look at my #2, #3, and #4 favorite colors on the Q50 (Chestnut Bronze, Venetian Ruby, and Graphite Shadow respectively).

The color I was most surprised by was the Chestnut Bronze! It has a lot more pop and shine to it in person compared to how it looks in photos. The Venetian Ruby and Graphite Shadow also did not disappoint! The Hagane Blue still looked very sharp as well as the Moonlight White.

I'm really hoping I can take a closer look at the Graphite interior when it's not covered in factory plastics. I also gazed through one of the windows at the wood trim and it looks gorgeous, IMO! I guess I'm sold on that. :) Also, what I noticed is just what a leap and step up the styling of the Q50 is compared to the G37. I stood in between my G37 and the Q50 and it was then that I really noticed how dated the styling looked overall.

So, I know this isn't everything that I wanted to show, but I figured I'll go a little bit farther in messing with the car once I'm actually able to take one out and really have my way with it. ;) All in all, I'm really pumped to actually get one of these out on the road in a few weeks or so, but hopefully when they've got one ready for me fully loaded so that I can decide whether or not I still want to opt out of the Technology Package (all of the cool gadgets and features are growing on me!). What I can verify for myself at this moment is that I'm totally sold on the Chestnut Bronze as a color as my new #1 (Malbec Black again might just be too much of a pain).

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Thanks for the write up man! Much appreciated! With this preview, I am looking forward to your full write up when u finally test drive the Q50! :D

Reactions: SimpsonTide985

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Same here. And I see a graphite shadow in the pictures!

Reactions: SimpsonTide985

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Nice! By chance, the one that you go to use the In Touch system, were you able to find out if the software had been updated already if the sticker had been removed?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nice! I got to touch one yesterday but wasn't allowed to open it. It was in silver, which did a nice job of mitigating what, to me, is too much chrome on the car (I sense a PlastiDip session in my future) while the metalflake paint really set off all of the contours in the sheet metal. I'd be going silver or the white three stage. Weird how anything but the 19's turn an otherwise sexy machine into a rental car.

Can't wait for some seat time!

·
Registered
396 Posts
THanks! -- Your photos in the rain actually made me rethink/doubt about my preorder of Malbec Black. MB is beautiful, but more often than not the weather in WA is cloudy with rain here and there. .. From your description the black really doesn't stand out... well, I KNEW that, but just thought MB is SO cool and unique and "sophisticated". :p Besides I'm only leasing. So it would be fun to have a MB for at least 3 yrs.. :)

.. Maybe I should pay more attention to my 2nd favorite/choice: Chestnut Bronze. ... ?

.. But I will HATE to wait another several months to get the car with my configuration, while my preordered MB will be available VERY soon...

OK, stop thinking. I will wait till my deal has BOTH and go take a look in person.. Hope it is a rainy day... (although now it's the most beautiful/sunny season in WA!) :D

·
Registered
336 Posts
THanks! -- Your photos in the rain actually made me rethink/doubt about my preorder of Malbec Black. MB is beautiful, but more often than not the weather in WA is cloudy with rain here and there. .. From your description the black really doesn't stand out... well, I KNEW that, but just thought MB is SO cool and unique and "sophisticated". :p Besides I'm only leasing. So it would be fun to have a MB for at least 3 yrs.. :)

.. Maybe I should pay more attention to my 2nd favorite/choice: Chestnut Bronze. ... ?

.. But I will HATE to wait another several months to get the car with my configuration, while my preordered MB will be available VERY soon...

OK, stop thinking. I will wait till my deal has BOTH and go take a look in person.. Hope it is a rainy day... (although now it's the most beautiful/sunny season in WA!) :D
So I was walking in downtown Seattle today in rush hour traffic looking at the cars passing by and their colors. I would say at least 50% were black or grey. BUT, the Malbec black is pretty nice though. Had an old Accord with the same color, and loved it.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I'm kinda surprised our impressions matched up so closely. That Venetian Ruby is so hot, I will love seeing them driving around. Too bad you didn't get to drive one but I think you'll enjoy it thoroughly and get to experience what a handful of us have written about.

Personally, I think Obsidian is a bad fit for this car, for the same reason you mentioned: it's a flat color, and it flattens the car. With this many curves and lines, you really need metallics to make it pop. They thought about what color they used for the debut, it wasn't a coin toss that they picked Hagane Blue (and what better color to use for the double wave design language?).

Sorry Obsidian fans, you can throw rotten tomatoes, that's just how I see it.

<edit: I agree with the comment about the 17's. I ordered mine with 17's but after seeing it with 19's over and over and driving one with 19's, the suspension is tuned so well the 19's don't matter from a comfort perspective. I may have 19's ordered for mine after all.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Great write up - thanks for taking the time to post. Very interested in hearing your review when you drive one!

I noticed there was no mention of the sound system. Was that off limits due to the in-touch embargo? I pictured you sitting there with a bag full of CDs, your iPod and an SD card filled with all of your test songs :)

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
I'm kinda surprised our impressions matched up so closely. That Venetian Ruby is so hot, I will love seeing them driving around. Too bad you didn't get to drive one but I think you'll enjoy it thoroughly and get to experience what a handful of us have written about.

Personally, I think Obsidian is a bad fit for this car, for the same reason you mentioned: it's a flat color, and it flattens the car. With this many curves and lines, you really need metallics to make it pop. They thought about what color they used for the debut, it wasn't a coin toss that they picked Hagane Blue (and what better color to use for the double wave design language?).

<edit: I agree with the comment about the 17's. I ordered mine with 17's but after seeing it with 19's over and over and driving one with 19's, the suspension is tuned so well the 19's don't matter from a comfort perspective. I may have 19's ordered for mine after all.
I totally agree about the 19's, but make sure you get the car from the factory with the 19's. If you order them after the fact they cost 3K instead of the 1K.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Same here. And I see a graphite shadow in the pictures!
They had every color at the dealer except for Liquid Platinum and Malbec Black

You can't go wrong with any color...its a q50!!
Hey, don't get me wrong. I hope I don't sound like I'm hating on the Obsidian Black. It's just how black cars are inherently. After being a little dirty and wet, the car just didn't necessarily wow me---and that's just a matter of it being a Black car that wasn't perfectly clean I think. :p

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
They had every color at the dealer except for Liquid Platinum and Malbec Black
Malbec has always been a little rare, but I'm surprised at how few silvers I have seen at dealerships. I know Grey is really popular but Silver has always been a staple. It's almost like they realized that this car really doesn't look as good in the Silver.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Malbec has always been a little rare, but I'm surprised at how few silvers I have seen at dealerships. I know Grey is really popular but Silver has always been a staple. It's almost like they realized that this car really doesn't look as good in the Silver.
Yeah, the rarity/unique factor is what's been boosting Malbec Black on my radar and as it's the current color on my G37, it always gets a reaction (when the purple is actually visible... :eek: ).

As much as I love it, again, it might be time to change it up a bit or at least get a slightly lighter color next time around..

·
Registered
60 Posts

Hi Ben...could you please expand on your comment about the riding comfort on the 17" vs the 19" ?, this is one key qualifier that I am wondering about since I still have not been able to drive any Q50 yet. Did you try the Q50 on a bumpy street with the 19"er?, from what I can see with my son's car that has low profile tires, there is a huge difference in riding quality (I don't remember the type or size, but my back remeembers the bruises !!)I'll appreciate your feedback on this, because I am very tempted to add the 19" to my selction of rwd+hybrid, thanks
Esteban

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice! By chance, the one that you go to use the In Touch system, were you able to find out if the software had been updated already if the sticker had been removed?
Oh, it seemed to have been fully functional---no sticker. I forgot to ask exactly how much into any software updates it had been, but apparently it was still ok for me to use. :eek:

We really should put together a list of Test Drive Questions that we all can ask our local dealers so that we can compare/contrast their responses!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I had my first seat time yesterday, was not allowed to drive but played with the screens and the stereo.

The dealership had 2 cars, a base model (non premium) with the sunroof being the only option. MSRP was 38K. The other one was a loaded sport with every possible package, MSRP 52K.

Some observations:
1. Overal interiour quality, feel and design is much better than the my G37.

2. The leatherette material used in the base model felt very close to the leather in the Sport model. It felt somewhat softer.

3. The intuch system is much better than in the cadilac ATS and the Lexus IS
but it is slow.

4. Back seat leg room is better than G37, ATS, IS. About the same as the 328I.

5. The spear tire option in the sport model cuts about 2" from the trunk depth. This is due to the use of a single G37 coupe style muffler that sits
where the spear tire cavity used to be in the G37 sedan.

6. 19" wheels look better but the sport front bumper looks to aggressive to me.

7. The base model had a Q50a badge in the back, what is the "a" for?

8. Sport seats felt tailored for me, I'm 5'8" 160 lbs. The seats in the Lexus IS felt better.

I really liked the car, with proper aftermarket wheels (say 18-19"/8.5) it will
look stunning.

I asked for a lease quote on the base model with zero due at signing, 10k 39mo, was told ~550+ tax. This is about $180 more than what I'm paying for my G37 with almost identical MSRP.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.