Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Not sure how many of you here are from the G or Z forums, but I defiantly am. To keep things short I live in Calgary Canada, and has been into cars every since i was little. Currently drives a 2007 G35S sedan with a fair bit of modifications done to it, and daily a 2004 Toyota 4 Runner limited. Here is some picture of my G.

Here is a list of the big modifications i have done to it so far.
  • GTM Stage 2 Supercharger Kit
  • GTM engine oil cooler
  • GTM transmission oil cooler
  • Transgo valve body upgrade
  • Mortordyne ART test pipes
  • Stillen catback exhaust
  • Blitz R-vit DS monitoring system
  • KW Variant 3 coilovers
  • SPC front and rear camber kit
  • Hotchkis sway bar
  • Advan RZ-DF wheels
  • AP racing big brake kit

Currently, my G is listed for sale since i have been looking into getting something new. Under consideration is the new Q50S with the 3.7. My biggest reason for looking into the Q50 is because of all the parts i have on my G. Most likely i will be able to get the wheels and brakes to fit on the new car and with how much i like modding, i will without a doubt be trying to transplant as much parts from my current car as possible. Also with how well i know the 3.7VHR engine, i will be looking into the possibility of maybe transplanting the supercharger or getting a turbo kit worked out as soon as either uprev or ecuteck adapt their tuning software to work with the new Q50's ecu.
However there are also a few things that's swinging me against the Q50 one of them being the lack of a manual transmission. The other is that to me personally, the Q50 isn't as appealing both exterior and interior wise compare to the new lexus is350. However i haven't got any hands on time or driven the Q50 so maybe i will prefer it over the IS which i recently tried. The other consideration for me is to get a 2014 370z nismo, however i'm not sure if the nismo will be coming to canada or not. To add more, the Q60 should be out next year as a 2015 model, so maybe that's more worth looking at and will maybe have a manual, which would be nice for sure.

Sorry for going too much into my car choice discussions, maybe someone here will give me certain input which will let me see some light and lean towards one or the other :)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Man can I buy that jaw dropping nature behind your car?? Lol. That's some incredible photography. Btw, my vote is Q50 over IS350 any day.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Infiniti Chick

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Welcome to the boards! Impressive lists of mods ... That is one of the reasons I'm leaning so heavily to the Q50 is the after market support should basically be in full effect at launch...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Man can I buy that jaw dropping nature behind your car?? Lol. That's some incredible photography. Btw, my vote is Q50 over IS350 any day.
Haha, feel free to move here, the photos were taken at Banff which is an hour and 15 drive from Calgary at speed limit ;)

Thanks for the input, however what's your reasoning? I'm by no means a fan of lexus, infact i really hated the last generation IS, but this new one does seem much better

Welcome to the boards! Impressive lists of mods ... That is one of the reasons I'm leaning so heavily to the Q50 is the after market support should basically be in full effect at launch...
Thanks, and i couldn't agree more, the possibility of after market support with the Q50 is defiantly a huge plus, and the VQ37VHR has more than proved itself by reliably making more than 500whp and over 400wtq on around 10psi with many of the existing turbo kits

Also to add, my other choice is the Audi S4, but in comparison, that's almost $10,000 more, so not sure if that's worth paying for. The F10 335i is a disappointment for me tho, it's too fat and feels too soft with over boosted electric steering and poor quality cheap plastic interior. however the N55 engine does deliver a lot of torque in low rpm which makes for a high power engine kind of respond. C350 is a no deal for me since i would just buy a used C63 AMG instead.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Most of the people on this board are obviously favoring the Q50 over the IS, but the IS is still highly regarded by some. The main reasons for the Q50 preference, in no particular order, are:

- Styling. Quite a few really dislike the way the IS front end looks.
- Power. The hybrid in particular is expected to be a beast.
- Room. The Q50 has significantly more room in the back seat, which is important to some.
- Tech. Though unproven, the Q50 is introducing a lot with their new InTouch system. The majority really dislike the mouselike control on the IS.

The IS performs very well out on the road, which is a strong selling point. The Q50 is relatively unproven, though we have had a few people report very favorably from personal test drives. We are all waiting anxiously for the opportunity to test it out ourselves as well as seeing reviews from reputable sources.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Most of the people on this board are obviously favoring the Q50 over the IS, but the IS is still highly regarded by some. The main reasons for the Q50 preference, in no particular order, are:

- Room. The Q50 has significantly more room in the back seat, which is important to some.
- Tech. Though unproven, the Q50 is introducing a lot with their new InTouch system. The majority really dislike the mouselike control on the IS.

The IS performs very well out on the road, which is a strong selling point. The Q50 is relatively unproven, though we have had a few people report very favorably from personal test drives. We are all waiting anxiously for the opportunity to test it out ourselves as well as seeing reviews from reputable sources.

Welcome to the forum!
All good points, I think most of forum members have or had Infinitis and I bet that all Q50 pre-orders were from x-Infinti owner.. My simple reason is I have had great experience with Infiniti.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Welcome to the forum bro! Loving this pic:

Awesome lighting and really highlights your G well!

I really hope you go the Q50 route so I can rely on your part transplant as a guide to what mods I can do asap! Hahaha! But then again I am going for the hybrid so I hope all is the same! I am already thinking of installing some slotted rotors and am going to be keeping the stock sports brakes to go with it but will be powdercoating it! Wanna see how the camber kits and coilovers go for u! Thinking of going more of a performance build as well this time around so wheel fitment would be something I would look forward to hearing from you as well!

Anyways, enough of my rambling! Welcome to the forum and hope u find the info you need here! :D

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Haha, feel free to move here, the photos were taken at Banff which is an hour and 15 drive from Calgary at speed limit ;)

Thanks for the input, however what's your reasoning? I'm by no means a fan of lexus, infact i really hated the last generation IS, but this new one does seem much better
Well, I briefly considered the IS but my reasons are very simple. I heavily value engine performance and power, and the IS falls short. Secondly, I actually prefer to drive a car that is a bit unpopular with the masses; it keeps resale values honest and I won't be driving the same car everyone else in my community has. Thirdly, I have to admit that I am somewhat biased from my impressive experience with Infiniti since becoming an owner around this time last year. The quality and dependability of my G37x has been quite the satisfaction. The Q50's innovative technology and reliability (and the dual screens) just excite me in a way that the IS can't.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the welcome and input.
For sure the majority will take the Q50 over the IS since after all it's a Q50 forum. I'm also a Infiniti driver and very much support the brand.
My consideration for the IS mainly came from it exceeding my expectation interms of how much i liked it after spending sometime at the dealership.
However, i have not had the chance to try a IS350 yet since my local only had the IS250 as a test driver, so i did not factor engine performance into the experience, but the steering did feel much better than the new 335.
- Styling is subjective to person, so there is only personal preference in this field, for me tho, i liked the styling of the F sport IS, which i understand not everyone does. The Q50 is fine, but i have not fully gown into it, maybe it's because i seem to prefer the way my G looks more than the Q50 and that the Q50 has too much chrome parts to it
- Power, Q50 will win this for sure, while i'm not a fan and will not buy the hybrid, the VQ37 is a much better engine than the toyota V6 and has much better tuning potential
- Room, this is not something i have any idea about since i have not sat in the Q50, but in the IS, the front feels good, and the rear is snug, my knees does touch the back of the front seat with it in my driving position, but it is not very terrible, and overall is fairly comfortable. The roof line of the door does cut into head space when getting in and out of the car tho, i do need to dip my head to clear the roof line
- Tech, no idea about how well the InTouch will be, but GM or Ford touch system certainly isn't pleasant, hopefully infiniti gives a better execution on the buttons and controls. My concern is how useful will all of this be. The feature that infiniti is pushing for is social media connection. While i'm connected to my social media, i do not have the need to check it in my car, if i'm waiting for someone i will just check it on my phone. Also i really hope that this tech does not have any tracking capability from infiniti attached to it since i don't like to follow the speed limit :D. With that said, the lexus's nav mouse/pointer/trackpad thing is seriously annoying as well, on the non nav models, lexus have a rotatory nob which can be pushed side ways much like Idrive, which is much better than that garbage mouse pointer.

One thing i will add to the list is the interior quality and fit and finish. In this area, the lexus is excellent, everything feel solid and good to the touch. Also i like the styling of the IS's interior with a more cocooned feel while sitting in the driver seat with great ergonomics. Since i still have no experience with the Q50, i will report back with more detail about this, but from the pictures, i'm not a fan of having two large screens on the center console, and the over all interior doesn't look as driver focused as the IS, or maybe a little bland is a more accurate way to describe it.

The dealership said that the Q50 should be coming in before the end of the month, i will go check it out as soon as it get here :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All good points, I think most of forum members have or had Infinitis and I bet that all Q50 pre-orders were from x-Infinti owner.. My simple reason is I have had great experience with Infiniti.

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the welcome, and yes i agree with you, my G has given me a great experience so it is why I'm thinking about the Q50 as well.

Welcome to the forum bro! Loving this pic:

Awesome lighting and really highlights your G well!

I really hipe you go the Q50 route so I can rely on your part transplate as a guide to what mods I can do asap! Hahaha! But then again I am going for the hybrid so I hope all is the same! I am already thinking of installing some slotted rotors and am going to be keeping the stock sports brakes to go with it but will be powdercoating it! Wanna see how the camber kits and coilovers go for u! Thinking of going more of a performance build as well this time around so wheel fitment would be something I would look forward to hearing from you as well!

Anyways, enough of my rambling! Welcome to the forum and hope u find the info you need here! :D
Thanks for the compliments, the possibility of transferring parts on to the new car will defiantly be a plus, if all the suspension parts ends up being the same, there will be a huge list of available parts from coilovers, to springs, to camber kits, to sway bars.

The standard sport brakes are more than capable for average street driving, but if you want to improve, i say a set of SS brake lines is a must. Use the stock rotors for now, and save your money for a 2 piece setup once the OEM starts warping.

Well, I briefly considered the IS but my reasons are very simple. I heavily value engine performance and power, and the IS falls short. Secondly, I actually prefer to drive a car that is a bit unpopular with the masses; it keeps resale values honest and I won't be driving the same car everyone else in my community has. Thirdly, I have to admit that I am somewhat biased from my impressive experience with Infiniti since becoming an owner around this time last year. The quality and dependability of my G37x has been quite the satisfaction. The Q50's innovative technology and reliability (and the dual screens) just excite me in a way that the IS can't.
For sure agree on the performance and power, altho i doubt the Q50 will be unpopular, i think it will be a good seller.

Altho i got to say, i think i'm the only one who doesn't seem to care much for the duel screen, why is it so impressive to all of you? It's weird since i'm a tech person and work in IT, but i really don't see why it is suppose to be very impressive :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Very, very nice car you have there. Tastefully modded but a little too low for my spine. I think you'll be impressed with the Q50 interior. I've sat in it twice, once in the back. I'm 6' 7" and the person in the driver's seat was probably close to 6' and I wasn't cramped. Headroom is a little tight in the back at my height but anyone that's regular sized will fit without complaints.

Still, the overall interior quality will wow you. Everything is soft and tight, and stitched up nicely. I think they could have spent a little more time on the steering wheel and gone with IPL stitching (like the M3's stitch their wheels) but it's a nitpick. The new seats feel wonderful and the driver's side is very driver focused. Even the drive mode toggle switch is canted towards the driver. The nav/info wheel feels good; it has some heft and is knurled, reminded me of some high quality 70's stereo gear.

Be sure and try one before you get the IS. Less than a month from now you can get in and see what all the fuss is about. You already know how solid these cars can be mechanically and since the engine and tranny are a carryover, how awesome would it be to recycle your mods? The first 500hp Q50. Wow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the compliments, and yes it is pretty low and i have it set up fairly stiff right now. I'm amazed at the space with you being 6 7, that's crazy.

but by no means i am getting the IS for sure, i will need to sell my G to make a space in the garage for the next car, and i will not be putting any money down on anything before i do my research and get hands on experience with all the options :)

Also if i do end up getting a Q50, i would love to be the first to test out compatibility and give everyone reference for modding :)

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Thanks for the compliments, and yes it is pretty low and i have it set up fairly stiff right now. I'm amazed at the space with you being 6 7, that's crazy.

but by no means i am getting the IS for sure, i will need to sell my G to make a space in the garage for the next car, and i will not be putting any money down on anything before i do my research and get hands on experience with all the options :)

Also if i do end up getting a Q50, i would love to be the first to test out compatibility and give everyone reference for modding :)
Awesome!!! Looking forward to that! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.