Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it snowed hard this weekend in Canada. The heavy / sticky variety...

While driving home, I constantly heard warning messages (and displayed on the top LCD) of frontal impact. (it's marked red, etc.)

Soon after, the radar stopped working.

I'm fairly sure it's the heavy snow that's impacting the sensors, but it's annoying as heck. Wonder if a software update would address this so the car doesn't keep spooked with some snow. You would think this is not a new phenomenon... this snow thing. It's in Canada, US and Europe.

·
Registered
42 Posts

While driving home, I constantly heard warning messages (and displayed on the top LCD) of frontal impact. (it's marked red, etc.)

I'm fairly sure it's the heavy snow that's impacting the sensors, but it's annoying as heck. Wonder if a software update would address this so the car doesn't keep spooked with some snow. You would think this is not a new phenomenon... this snow thing. It's in Canada, US and Europe.
I've had a similar problem with a hard rain. Was difficult for me to get out of the parking spot, car kept applying the brakes. A little scary to think that your car might slam on the brakes in a hard rain while you're doing 60mph. Maybe its time to take out a good life insurance policy on myself.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've had a similar problem with a hard rain. Was difficult for me to get out of the parking spot, car kept applying the brakes. A little scary to think that your car might slam on the brakes in a hard rain while you're doing 60mph. Maybe its time to take out a good life insurance policy on myself.
that is quite scary, if it was me i'd contact Infiniti and let them know I want to trade in for one not equipped with electric steering. next time it happens it might not end well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that is quite scary, if it was me i'd contact Infiniti and let them know I want to trade in for one not equipped with electric steering. next time it happens it might not end well.
Sucks that hard rain does the same thing. Wet snow is one thing, since it's sticking to the front grill, but rain too?

Yes, yes, I know there are "warnings" in the owner's manual the radar sensors may not work in those conditions. It defeats the point of having these functions then, doesn't it?

Under ideal driving condition (sunny, dry, etc.), we would least likely to need assistance. It's during the snowing/wet weather that the assistance is warranted.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts

Are you sure this wasn't due to the car skidding on snow while braking and another car is in front of you? I get the front impact warning message when I hard stop behind another car even when the road is dry, I thinks just because the car is sense your speed and calculating that you wont be able to stop in time.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
This is a first to me. I'm not doubting you or anything but I've driven in really hard downpours and the rain never affected my sensors while driving and applying the brakes when it wasn't necessary. When you were coming out of the parking spot, were you reversing out? Maybe there was an object that it was detecting causing it to apply the brakes? Just curious. I've never had this problem either where the car would apply the brakes coming out of a parking spot unless there was an object it detected. Even in the rain.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is a first to me. I'm not doubting you or anything but I've driven in really hard downpours and the rain never affected my sensors while driving and applying the brakes when it wasn't necessary. When you were coming out of the parking spot, were you reversing out? Maybe there was an object that it was detecting causing it to apply the brakes? Just curious. I've never had this problem either where the car would apply the brakes coming out of a parking spot unless there was an object it detected. Even in the rain.
Nope just hard Houston rain. Nothing was behind me, car was stopping me in my parking space. Serious as a heart attack.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Nope just hard Houston rain. Nothing was behind me, car was stopping me in my parking space. Serious as a heart attack.
I am in Houston and have had the same issue twice because of the heavy rain. The front collision warning gave error message that the sensor was blocked and monitoring was not available. Had my dealer look at it and they said it was normal - happens during heavy rain and snow, just like it warns in the owner's manual.

I just turn off the active intervention and switched to just monitoring. Was your system set for intervention (little car with green symbols) or just monitoring (little car with gray symbols)?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you put the car in "Snow Mode"? It's there to stop acting on sensors that would be blocked or mis-read in bad weather.
Interesting. I am of aware of snow mode, and will try that to see if the sensors are less problematic during heavy snow.

Still doesn't solve the heavy rain. I guess do what Gandhi suggested and turn off the sensors.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Did you put the car in "Snow Mode"? It's there to stop acting on sensors that would be blocked or mis-read in bad weather.
I'm not so sure of this. But I should check the manual before I call BS.

Snow mode primarily changes throttle response. Put the car in snow mode and you get dramatically less throttle. It is intended to keep you from spinning the tires in the snow. I know it doesn't change the AWD performance and this would be the first time I've heard that it does anything to sensors.

As for the OP's problem. Remember that backup sensors also have BCI going on. BCI is intentionally more sensitive to motion because it is designed to keep you from backing over a person walking behind your car, or into a wall. My first reaction on reading this thread is that it somehow was sensing motion back there and that's what was stopping you from backing up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Snow mode reduces throttle sensitivity to help the driver control power output to avoid spinning the wheels when accelerating in snowy conditions. It has nothing to do with said sensors.
If you read the manual, in most of the sections where the active safety functions are described, in their warning sections. Look there and most will say they are disabled if the car is in snow mode.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.