Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started down the road installing these sequential turn signal lights in the mirrors and am having a problem finding the proper wires to tap into for the DRL and puddle light portions of the light. The sequential turn signal works fine. I'm having a difficult time finding where to tie into the door panel harness for DRL and puddle lights. I tried tapping into the wires that were shown in one of the YouTube videos but no DRL and no puddle lights.

Has anyone else installed these? I may just throw in the towel trying to get the DRL and puddle lights to work and be satisfied with the sequential turn signals only.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the video I used to determine which wires to tap for DRL and puddle lights. That's why I hate it when people just use wire colors to identify which one to splice to. I've seen too many instances where the wire colors listed in the service manual don't match what's in the car. I much prefer pin numbers as they don't vary like wiring harness colors do.

I can tap into the courtesy light at the bottom of the door instead to feed the puddle light but I don't know where to pick up the DRL power. There's a 24 pin-connector for the mirror. When I look up that connector, it lists wire colors for each pin but it doesn't identify what any of the pins do.

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
That sounds like a pretty $h!tty service manual.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Ya the factory manual can leave a bit to be desired.

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
So do they just use whatever wire they get a deal on and don't worry about the wiring diagrams?

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no idea why harness wire colors vary. It could change by the year for all I know. I'm referencing the 2016 service manual.

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
Is the wiring diagram in the service manual or is it a separate document that is sold individually? Most of my past cars have had the wiring diagram available as a separate purchase.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are lots of wiring diagrams in the service manual but no specific pinouts for the door harness connectors that I can find. I'll keep digging around. I'm going to go ahead and put the second light in and leave the DRL and puddle light wiring inside the mirror housing until I can figure out where to tap in. At least I'll have the sequential turn signals operational for now.

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
I'm tired of Googling. What is the source for official (exorbitantly priced) service literature? Either electronic or printed. It is not Helm Inc.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm trying to remember who gave me my copy of the 2016 service manual but my memory fails me. I'll look around.

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
I'm trying to remember who gave me my copy of the 2016 service manual but my memory fails me. I'll look around.
I did find some downloads for 2014, 2015 and 2016. Not official Infiniti sites or official sellers for Infiniti. I do have the 2016. Thanks though.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I installed the other light so I at least have sequential turn signals on both mirrors now. Hopefully I'll figure out the rest of the wiring eventually. Even my wife likes them and she doesn't give a rip about anything I do to the car.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Someone refresh my memory. I don't recall any DRL function in the stock mirror lights, just the turn signals. Is my Alzheimer's getting the best of me?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Someone refresh my memory. I don't recall any DRL function in the stock mirror lights, just the turn signals. Is my Alzheimer's getting the best of me?
No function for DRL that I can tell.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's what I though. That's why I can't figure out where to access the DRL power in the door. I don't see anything in the wiring diagrams for the door that would indicate any switchable DRL power exists in the harness.

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
Would there be switched power to the window lift controls?

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Would there be switched power to the window lift controls?
No doubt. What puzzles me is there is a power wire and ground wire for the turn signal and a power wire and ground wire for the puddle lights but only one power wire for the DRL light and no ground wire. This is standard in all the variations of this light kit being sold. The lack of any useful instructions is pissing me off.

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
Maybe one of the grounds is shared inside the lighting module?

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm guessing it's shared with the puddle light's ground since those are the only 3 wires you snake through the mirror housing into the door.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts