Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I didn't break any pawls going slow after heating the caps. It does sound like you're breaking something when the pawls come loose as you move a trim tool between the cap and the mirror. If you have replacement caps coming, I'd say go ahead and put the lights in. If you break a pawl, there are a total of 5 pawls on the cap so the cap will still snap back in place and you are replacing them anyway. Are you going to keep the OEM caps or sell them?
I never thought of selling them. Who would want them?

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I have no idea who would buy them. Perhaps someone who had a mirror whacked by something or someone?

·
Registered
90 Posts
So I spent all day yesterday installing the sequential turn signals. Yes I broke two clips/pawls in total removing them. I watched the video posted in this thread thinking it would work since I had a 2018 just like theirs, well it did not. I do not like how in the video the wire colors changed when they added that harness, it was confusing since I did not have those colors on my harness. I had to decipher their colors and translate them to mine. The two short wires inside the mirror are easy and work. The Blue wire to purple in the door depicted in the video works. The Black and white puddle wires did not work going to brown and gray in the door. I tried going to the courtesy lights on the bottom of the door and may have shorted the courtesy lights, neither courtesy light works now. The courtesy light voltages read 6V on both L/R door. I did test the puddle light wires straight to a 12V battery and they work fine. The rear door roof lights are working fine. This is not a hard install if i could just figure out the puddle light issue. I really like the lights and was happy with this upgrade even though I have no puddle lights.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Have you checked continuities between the BCM and courtesy lights? Maybe you broke one of the wires to the courtesy lights when puncturing it with a Posi-Tap? Hopefully you haven't messed up the BCM.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
BCM like an ECU? I did not use posi taps only crimps. Why only 6volts? Is that normal voltage to the courtesy lights.
BCM (Body Control Module). It controls a whole host of things including all your interior lights, Intelligent Key, and unlock door sensors. Both courtesy lights share a common ground back to the BCM if I'm reading the wiring diagram correctly. I don't believe 6 VDC is normal. It should be 12 VDC. I'd trace the courtesy light wiring back to the connector on the other end and check continuity from there back to the connector for the courtesy lights to see if you have a severed wire. I think you may have damaged a ground wire with your crimps.

There's no fuse between the courtesy lights and BCM.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
There's no fuse between the courtesy lights and BCM.
That is surprising.

I agree, courtesy lights would be 12 volts, as the OEM is a crappy old incandescent bulb same as an '87 Yugo would use.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
The BCM has three fused 12 VDC inputs. There are two fuses in the fuse block (driver footwell) going to the BCM. One is fuse #17 (5A) that goes to the remote keyless entry system and the other fuse #20 (10A) goes to the room lights. There is also a fuse "M" (40A) in the fuse, fusible link and relay box but if that was blown, there would be all sorts of problems and warning lights. I gathered the other interior lights work so I suspect a grounding problem in the courtesy light circuit if the voltage is 6 VDC.

·
Registered
90 Posts
UPDATE

The courtesy lights now work and I did nothing. Do you think having the doors open for 4 hours did something? I did start the car a few times and turned the ignition on and off during this four hours. The car sat overnight fully assembled and when I started it this morning they worked. Now I guess i could use the courtesy lights for power like you guys did. I wonder if anyone was successful with the puddle lights like the video showed. Remember in the video they did not hook up the puddle lights to the brown and gray wire to work independently , they only mentioned it. This mod is worth it.
Thanks for the help Avedis and pillboy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Keep in mind you must have everything connected to the door to work. You could get frustrated and wonder why this mod is not working, or you are a quick thinker and go duh like me. This is just fyi and has nothing to do with the brown and grey wire :)

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
UPDATE

The courtesy lights now work and I did nothing. Do you think having the doors open for 4 hours did something? I did start the car a few times and turned the ignition on and off during this four hours. The car sat overnight fully assembled and when I started it this morning they worked. Now I guess i could use the courtesy lights for power like you guys did. I wonder if anyone was successful with the puddle lights like the video showed. Remember in the video they did not hook up the puddle lights to the brown and gray wire to work independently , they only mentioned it. This mod is worth it.
Thanks for the help Avedis and pillboy.
If the doors are open long enough I think the car will turn off the interior lights to preserve the battery. Same with the trunk.

·
Registered
702 Posts
If the doors are open long enough I think the car will turn off the interior lights to preserve the battery. Same with the trunk.
Yep

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Keep in mind you must have everything connected to the door to work. You could get frustrated and wonder why this mod is not working, or you are a quick thinker and go duh like me. This is just fyi and has nothing to do with the brown and grey wire :)
Yes, the main harness connector going to the door needs to be connected in order for the lights to work.

I believe if you leave a door switch open for a certain period of time, the BCM turns off the interior lights to save the battery. I'm not sure what clears that. Is it just closing the door to satisfy the door switch or does the ignition have to be cycled also?

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
For the trunk light, just closing the trunk and reopening it will allow the light to work again.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
For the trunk light, just closing the trunk and reopening it will allow the light to work again.
Come to think about it, I recall trying the lights after I finished installing them with a door still open. They didn't work until I closed the door.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Info I found on facebook :

Heads up: the brown wire for the puddle may have to be run through the door handle wires only, as shown by
Scot Earle
in his original write-up. You have to pull off the big black metal panel on the door to access it. Otherwise if you want to be ricer like me, just put everything on the purple
😃

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wish I could’ve chimed on this earlier but my courtesy lights had went out too thought something was wrong. Checked with my meter and I was getting 12v to the wires, but as everyone else mentioned I guess the car does shut then off after a while as I had the door open and was switching the ignition to the On position multiple times. I’ll double check but I believe my puddle functioned fine as mentioned in the previous install posts. Mine does the meteor shower affect when you open the door 🤔

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Info I found on facebook :

Heads up: the brown wire for the puddle may have to be run through the door handle wires only, as shown by
Scot Earle
in his original write-up. You have to pull off the big black metal panel on the door to access it. Otherwise if you want to be ricer like me, just put everything on the purple
😃
That doesn't make any sense. It's a lot easier to connect the puddle light wires to the courtesy light harness.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Wish I could’ve chimed on this earlier but my courtesy lights had went out too thought something was wrong. Checked with my meter and I was getting 12v to the wires, but as everyone else mentioned I guess the car does shut then off after a while as I had the door open and was switching the ignition to the On position multiple times. I’ll double check but I believe my puddle functioned fine as mentioned in the previous install posts. Mine does the meteor shower affect when you open the door 🤔
Yes previous install posts meaning courtesy light hookup. The video with brown wire did not work for me.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts