Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Today I was driving and my charging system warning light came on. Sure enough, checked the engine bay and my serpentine belt decided to off itself

I love about an hour away from my nearest Infiniti dealer but to my knowledge I'm sure local shops can handle this.

Question is this. Need to get my car to a shop but I don't want to start it with a busted belt. Can I cut the belt out or just remove it and limp to an auto shop? Not planning on running without an alternator but I need to get this thing to get fixed.

Any help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Hey everyone,

Today I was driving and my charging system warning light came on. Sure enough, checked the engine bay and my serpentine belt decided to off itself

I love about an hour away from my nearest Infiniti dealer but to my knowledge I'm sure local shops can handle this.

Question is this. Need to get my car to a shop but I don't want to start it with a busted belt. Can I cut the belt out or just remove it and limp to an auto shop? Not planning on running without an alternator but I need to get this thing to get fixed.

Any help appreciated.
Is this what happened while you were ripping up and down the streets with your "open headers"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is this what happened while you were ripping up and down the streets with your "open headers"
Hahahaha haven't gotten around to that one yet. No, this happened while I was pulling out of a taco bell.

·
Registered
2021 Q50 RedSport, MBRP Cat-Back
293 Posts
If you still have B2B or your vehicle was bought Certified then you have free 24 hour RSA, open your owners manual and the card that sits in the front pocket is their number.

·
Registered
145 Posts
So according to this, these are the date ranges:

My car is literally three weeks after the build date (Sep 30, 2016 build date according to Carfax with VIN ending in 833043).

From what I have read here, doesn't necessarily mean my car is in the clear but I guess "less" prone to these failures?

I'm curious how Infiniti came up with these exact dates? Were new parts used after these builds?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
The belt issue has been "hit-or-miss" for Qs even manufactured outside the affected range of the TSB. My advice would be to inspect the drivebelt at every oil change interval, which for my Q is every 5k miles. If it shows any signs of fraying of the fiber reinforcement, cracking in the grooves, or develops an audible noise at idle/under load, replace it.

I'll also mention the belt tensioner has been replaced rather early on a few Qs. If the indicator moves around alot while the engine is running (indicating a weak internal spring), or the indicator is outside the range (to the right of the hash marks), the tensioner itself may warrant replacement if a new belt doesn't correct the indication/condition.

Here's my tensioner showing the belt tension in the middle of the range :cool: :

My Q is a MY2017 manufactured after the TSB VIN range, however, I proactively replaced the OEM belt myself with the Gates equivalent around 23k (iirc) as a precaution.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The belt issue has been "hit-or-miss" for Qs even manufactured outside the affected range of the TSB. My advice would be to inspect the drivebelt at every oil change interval, which for my Q is every 5k miles. If it shows any signs of fraying of the fiber reinforcement, cracking in the grooves, or develops an audible noise at idle/under load, replace it.

I'll also mention the belt tensioner has been replaced rather early on a few Qs. If the indicator moves around alot while the engine is running (indicating a weak internal spring), or the indicator is outside the range (to the right of the hash marks), the tensioner itself may warrant replacement if a new belt doesn't correct the indication/condition.

Here's my tensioner showing the belt tension in the middle of the range :cool: :
View attachment 98371

My Q is a MY2017 manufactured after the TSB VIN range, however, I proactively replaced the OEM belt myself with the Gates equivalent around 23k (iirc) as a precaution.
Here is mine. Not quite centered but not past the right mark. Thing is my water pump was replaced around a month ago and I presume they put in a new belt but not sure now.

I'll have dealer look at it again when I get my oil changed in a few months.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Thing is my water pump was replaced around a month ago and I presume they put in a new belt but not sure now.
I am suspect about you having a new belt. I'll let others chime in, but your indicator appears to show normal belt stretch, rather than a new belt. Iirc, when I first installed my Gates belt, the indicator was just to the left of the "| |" band, before it settled-in to within the "| |" band after 500 miles or so.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah my invoice makes no mention of new belt. Pretty irresponsible on dealer but I guess it's my fault also for not questioning it.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Yeah my invoice makes no mention of new belt. Pretty irresponsible on dealer but I guess it's my fault also for not questioning it.
Unfortunately, a water pump replacement does not automatically guarantee a concurrent serpentine belt replacement, as Infiniti would not reimburse the dealer for the warranty cost unless the tech found the belt damaged in some way.

Aside from the warranty criteria, it would be prudent to replace the serpentine belt as a precaution - the water pump could have leaked coolant onto the belt, which could impact belt performance or its life.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah, I should have paid for the new belt when the water pump was replaced.

Reactions: IridiumRS400
1 - 13 of 13 Posts