Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well the dreaded finally happened to me yesterday, on my way home taking the exit and all of a sudden my battery light went on, I knew immediately what happened, pulled over as i'm pulling to shoulder temp gauge shoots up all the way, engine light comes on, Luckily I shut the car off and opened the hood and saw no coolant puke, but the belt was off, hopefully I got lucky and they can just put a new belt on it and it'll be fine and I didn't damage the engine, like my buddies q60 needed a new engine, took a month, really not in the position to be without the car for a month. I was told that only 16/17 were affected by this issue, guess thats not the case. I'll keep you guys updated, any insight on this issue would be appreciated.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sorry to hear man, hope it works out, but if the car us under warranty why would you be without a car? The dealer will give you a "loaner" for the whole time.

·
Registered
203 Posts
This is why i'm checking mine at almost every gas fill just to be safe. Soon as I see that guy moving I'm taking it in. Hopefully I never do.

What is the exact cause of the movement? Is it just not aligned right? or a bad pulley?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Yes, this is something I've grown paranoid about as well. I would really like to have a better idea of what to look for when I'm checking the belt area.

Up to this point, I've been looking for signs of the belt being offset on the pulleys or frayed edges showing wear. Is that what we should be looking for?

·
Registered
185 Posts
What exactly would I be looking for on the belts?

There is a Youtuber by the name "auto fanatic" that had this happen to him 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
83 Posts

There is a Youtuber by the name "auto fanatic" that had this happen to him 2 weeks ago.
Hope this helps. I check mine every week along with engine oil and other fluids. Just make sure you're looking at the right pulley and not the tensioner pulley. I thought that Infiniti had corrected this issue on the '18's but obviously that's not the case.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hope this helps. I check mine every week along with engine oil and other fluids. Just make sure you're looking at the right pulley and not the tensioner pulley. I thought that Infiniti had corrected this issue on the '18's but obviously that's not the case.
That's a huge help. Thanks!

·
Registered
180 Posts
That's a pretty precise measurement for where it is, as if people are splitting millimeters down there... The best I could do was find an old bike chain tool that was roughly 3-4 mm thick, and set it down on the edge of the pulley, which seems to cover the gap just right. Anyone else seem to be on the bare minimum? My model is one in the affected range, but technically seems to be just barely ok at what I'd guess is right at 3.5mm from this guideline.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts

Just a few days ago I was watching that video but now I cannot find it. Did he delete it?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just a few days ago I was watching that video but now I cannot find it. Did he delete it?
Looks like he deleted both. The original video where the car was up on a tow truck, and the second follow up video where he was looking into lemon law.

·
Registered
649 Posts
he must have removed it because it's gone from my history too. he pulled down his follow up from just the other day too. that one was just a bunch of rambling and paperwork on the engine, talking about his prowess in court on lemon laws, etc.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
203 Posts
he must have removed it because it's gone from my history too. he pulled down his follow up from just the other day too. that one was just a bunch of rambling and paperwork on the engine, talking about his prowess in court on lemon laws, etc.
He may have done it as either he figured it may get back to the dealer, or the dealer said "we'll replace it all/cancel the lease if you take it down".

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
When he was rambling he went into detail about all of the cars that he has had success with doing this with I couldn't help but think that either this guy is looking for trouble or he just has some amazingly bad luck. I think he was getting mad at the trolls in the comments. He seems like the sensitive type.

1 - 20 of 200 Posts