Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I was in no hurry to get back home this morning from my trip to Cherokee, I wanted to maximize the MPG. As I've said before, since there are more downhill parts than uphill ones, it is easy to induce the car into EV mode quite often. Also, many of the downhills are steep enough to allow the car to actually charge the hybrid battery while still in EV mode (with foot off the "go" pedal). When I pulled into my garage, the gauge read 45.8 - it actually was at 46.5 when I got on I-75 about 15 miles from home. Figuring on a 5% overage in the gauge, that still comes out to about 43.5 mpg for the trip home. It read about 38.5 on the trip there. It's great having a car that gets great gas mileage, but also has a lot of power and torque when it's needed. :D It's a shame that Infiniti decided to drop the hybrid from the line-up. :(

·
Registered
582 Posts
Sometimes I’m shocked at how fuel efficient my Hybrid is. I agree it’s almost unthinkable that Infiniti dropped the Hybrid for 2019 with rising fuel prices especially premium grade.

However I’m looking forward to the new technology and EV vehicles coming from Infiniti in a few short years.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't know if its something wrong with my car, the wider and taller Michelin's I put on it or what, but I cant get above 26 MPG. I drive 32 miles to work, 90% of it is highway, 70 mph. slight hills but nothing big. Car has 74K on it and when I had the Bridgestone runflats on it last summer when I first got the car, I was able to get 28.6 consistently with the occasional 32 mpg if i really worked the EV mode. Seems like the car hardly kicks into EV unless I am downhill and as soon as I press the accelerator pedal, the engine kicks on. Could my batteries be bad? I'm starting to regret putting these tires on if its what is causing the issue.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know if its something wrong with my car, the wider and taller Michelin's I put on it or what, but I cant get above 26 MPG. I drive 32 miles to work, 90% of it is highway, 70 mph. slight hills but nothing big. Car has 74K on it and when I had the Bridgestone runflats on it last summer when I first got the car, I was able to get 28.6 consistently with the occasional 32 mpg if i really worked the EV mode. Seems like the car hardly kicks into EV unless I am downhill and as soon as I press the accelerator pedal, the engine kicks on. Could my batteries be bad? I'm starting to regret putting these tires on if its what is causing the issue.

I am sure that it is not the tires. If you consistently drive 70 mph on the highway, you will very rarely have the car go into EV mode unless you are going downhill. If you have the cruise control on, it just won't go into EV mode at 70 mph. A lot of the trip back from Cherokee to Chattanooga is on two lane, winding roads, so I had to keep the speed down there. As I said, I was able to induce the car into EV mode a lot, and even on a straightaway, with the hybrid battery full, I was able to go around four miles - or more - in EV mode, even going 60 mph. Luckily, traffic was light, and I didn't slow anyone down behind me when I decided to keep the speed in the 50-55 mph range on a straightaway. If you want to experiment a little, try driving that course during a time when there is little traffic, and keep the speed at no higher than 60 mph. I would bet that the mileage will be close to 30, if not more, if you induce it into EV mode as much as possible.

To be accurate here, when I have done all the driving around my house, with trips of a mile or two or three, the mpg does suffer, because the car has to be warmed up to be in EV mode. One hundred percent local driving will give me mileage in the mid 20's.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What drives me crazy is that before i changed the tires and put a Stillen rear sway bar, I was able to be 28.6 consistently up to 30+mpg at those same highway speeds. Now that I made those two changes, I'm lucky if I can get to 26.5 and stay there for long. Not doing anything different. Does anyone know of any diagnostics the dealer can do to check the battery capacity or even the torque in the electric motor? I feel like the engine kicks on as soon as I need a bit of power to increase speed.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
New tires. The bar has nothing to do with it.
I'm quite happy with mine. Took a 6 hr road trip from NH to Norwalk CT. Rt 91S to Ct 15 Wilber Cross hyw. Set CC to 73 mph on the way down. I hit 27.6 indicated MPG there, but on the way back, tons of traffic. Then north of Hartford CT I came up on a BMW i8. Beautiful car!!

We played for a while when safe. 2 minutes on my gps averaged 107 mph. Then up hill from MA to my house in NH. Tank calculated at 24.8 MPG, with 2 trips to the P.O., a 300' hill climb each trip. No complaints.

The BMW i8 gets over 110 MPG and is 600 lbs less. It was quicker, but not faster. Looks like a supercar.

Just wait to see what's available in 5 years!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Your tires affect everything from handling, braking and acceleration, to yes – even gas mileage. In fact, many tire manufacturers are now featuring a fuel efficiency rating for their tire models. Tires affect vehicle fuel efficiency primarily through rolling resistance

https://www.dunntire.com/blog/How-do-tires-affect-gas-mileage

The short answer: yes. Tires can make a big difference in the number of miles a driver gets to a tank of gas. And it's not all about tire maintenance; even the kind of tire on the car can affect the fuel economy.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2010/09/can-tires-improve-fuel-economy/index.htm (From the toilet paper pro’s)

Your car’s tires can play an important role in helping you get the best gas mileage and save money at the pump. Checking tire pressure regularly is one step toward optimum fuel economy, but your choice of tires can also help.

Automakers often specify low-rolling-resistance tires as original equipment to enhance vehicle performance in government fuel-economy tests. But replacement tires are not limited by any vehicle manufacturer's requirements, and attributes such as all-season grip and tread life are big selling points. In the past, consumers often had to weigh a trade-off between low rolling resistance and other performance capabilities, such as wet braking. But in recent years, tire manufacturers have been achieving a better balance of rolling resistance and all-weather grip.

Consumer Reports recently tested a few all-season tire models with low rolling resistance and found that those tires can improve fuel economy by an additional one or two mpg. The reward for replacing a less-optimum tire can be a payback covering most of the cost of the new tires over their lifetime in fuel savings. Moreover, you generally don't have to pay more to get a tire with better rolling resistance.

Here are some additional tips for getting the most fuel economy from your tires:

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
And the tips ARE? LOL

·
Registered
369 Posts
Selzini is right, here in Australia the speed limit on the freeway is 90km/h to 110km/h (56mph to 68mph). We have a heavy policing policy with alot of mobile and fix speed camera. Go over 5% of the marked speed and you'll get a ticket and $$$. Most of the time its 90km/h or 56mph limit.

The hybrid works best at lower speeds or city traffic. I get constantly 32MPG or 7.4litres per 100km monitored via fuelly app not the onboard trip meter. I notice that the hybrid uses about 0.3litres per 100km more in winter.

Tyres, I run sticky Falkens FK510 and there is no detectable increase in fuel use. I do however have the tyres pumped up to 35-36PSI all round which possibly decrease the rolling resistance.

You can try disconnecting the 12V battery and let the ECU re-learn your driving style.

·
Registered
582 Posts

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
My best MPG is at around 50-60 MPH in 7th. BUT it's a dog! 1500ish RPM makes minimal power. At 2200 it starts to wake the F up! At 2550 hold on!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Selzini is right, here in Australia the speed limit on the freeway is 90km/h to 110km/h (56mph to 68mph). We have a heavy policing policy with alot of mobile and fix speed camera. Go over 5% of the marked speed and you'll get a ticket and $$$. Most of the time its 90km/h or 56mph limit.

The hybrid works best at lower speeds or city traffic. I get constantly 32MPG or 7.4litres per 100km monitored via fuelly app not the onboard trip meter. I notice that the hybrid uses about 0.3litres per 100km more in winter.

Tyres, I run sticky Falkens FK510 and there is no detectable increase in fuel use. I do however have the tyres pumped up to 35-36PSI all round which possibly decrease the rolling resistance.

You can try disconnecting the 12V battery and let the ECU re-learn your driving style.
What's your metro mileage? I'm driving a 3.0T in Melbourne.
I had one trip from Melbourne to Canberra, I achieved 7.4L/100KM on the dash, and 7.7L/100KM based on my own calculation, which was not far away from a hybrid. But normally I can only achieve 11L/100KM driving in Mel' SE suburb. I do believe hybrid has a much better mileage in metro environments.
I run PS4 all corner. I also considered FK510 when I purchased the new tyres. But at that time Michelin had a marketing campaign, buy 4 get $100 cashback. Four PS4 cost the same as 4 FK510, so I went to PS4. What do you feel about FK510? I might upgrade to 255/40/19 all corners next time, and willing to switch to FK510 that time.

·
Registered
369 Posts
What's your metro mileage? I'm driving a 3.0T in Melbourne.
I had one trip from Melbourne to Canberra, I achieved 7.4L/100KM on the dash, and 7.7L/100KM based on my own calculation, which was not far away from a hybrid. But normally I can only achieve 11L/100KM driving in Mel' SE suburb. I do believe hybrid has a much better mileage in metro environments.
I run PS4 all corner. I also considered FK510 when I purchased the new tyres. But at that time Michelin had a marketing campaign, buy 4 get $100 cashback. Four PS4 cost the same as 4 FK510, so I went to PS4. What do you feel about FK510? I might upgrade to 255/40/19 all corners next time, and willing to switch to FK510 that time.
I did a trip from Sydney to Melbourne round trip of 2800km in Easter so it was double demerit points, so I had to stick to the speed limit most of the way. I did gave it a massive squirt driving the Great Alpine Rd where you have clear vision and no cops. On that Sydney / Melbourne trip I was getting 5.5 litres/100km calculated via the fuelly app.

I had about 1/4 tank of fuel left from Sydney to Melbourne. I didn't need to fill up along the way.

My metro commute is 40km round trip in Sydney traffic (max 50km/h if that) and I get 7.4litres/100km and about 7.7litres/100km when its really cold in the mornings.

The FK510 were on special at $180.00 each so I jump on them. Love the Falkens very quiet for a ultra high performance tyre. Fantastic wet grip performance. You can be hammering around the corners in the wet without the car pushing wide like the Dunlops. Dry performance is fantastic in the twisties, will keep up with S1000RR and Yamaha R1 motorcycles in the corners no problems.

For normal road driving with a squirt on the weekends these tyres are great, there will be better tyres out on the market but you will only notice the differences if you are doing high Gs track days.

Here is my fuel log
Q50 Hybrid (Infiniti Q50) | Fuelly

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the detailed replying. I just had a round trip from Melbourne to Sydney last month. I drove to Sydney via the coastline, and back via Hume hwy. So combined the 2000kms hwy and 200kms bumper to the bumper road in Sydney, I only achieved 8.5l/100KMS.
$180 for the FK510 is really a good deal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just want to make sure that I don't need the hybrid system looked at. Might as well take advantage of the CPO warranty I bought while I can. It used to be that when I would be doing 60-70mph on a slight decline, I could get the car into EV coast a bit, and then gently accelerate without the engine kicking on. Now I cant.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I just want to make sure that I don't need the hybrid system looked at. Might as well take advantage of the CPO warranty I bought while I can. It used to be that when I would be doing 60-70mph on a slight decline, I could get the car into EV coast a bit, and then gently accelerate without the engine kicking on. Now I cant.
Have it looked at. You have nothing to lose but time.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It used to be that when I would be doing 60-70mph on a slight decline, I could get the car into EV coast a bit, and then gently accelerate without the engine kicking on. Now I cant.
Even in ECO?

EV mode generally works from 90 mph down if hybrid battery is loaded – I sometimes use it even when driving on German Autobahn...

btw: I average 27 mpg (50% Autobahn) and get up to 45 on slower country roads!

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Honestly if you have the CPO warranty you should bring it in for an inspection, I think an ECU reset would do the trick but never hurts to have it looked over before your warranty ends.
Good clean bill of health before it's too late to get anything covered.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts