Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
662 Posts
The speed part is mediocre unless you put $10k into the Q. Remember, I've had Vette's and in my life so out of the box I was running 12.5s. My Q wouldn't break 14 stock. Performance sedans nowadays need to show a sub 13 sec 1/4 to have anything going for it. We all know the Q is outdated and needs a serious revision/facelift to compete. For reference, a 4 banger A5 will do a 1/4 quicker than a 3.0t Q; not a good look for Infiniti.
$10K? Try a $600 JB4. Like I said...stock boost - agree its mediocre, but no one who cares about the speed stays with stock boost levels.. 600 bucks and its fast. RS models also fast from factory with potential for faster.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
$10K? Try a $600 JB4. Like I said...stock boost - agree its mediocre, but no one who cares about the speed stays with stock boost levels.. 600 bucks and its fast. RS models also fast from factory with potential for faster.
A Q with a JB4 is mediocre. I ran a 12.8 @ 108 (AWD). That is middle of the road for a performance sedan nowadays. A fast sedan is low 12s and under, imo. If we are talking mods then even more so mediocre. There are better platforms to mod a car but the 3.0t is a good alternative. I'm not arguing with you; I had the car so we're on the same side lol

The point is that the Q is mediocre compared to other sports sedans.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
A Q with a JB4 is mediocre. I ran a 12.8 @ 108 (AWD). That is middle of the road for a performance sedan nowadays. A fast sedan is low 12s and under, imo. If we are talking mods then even more so mediocre. There are better platforms to mod a car but the 3.0t is a good alternative. I'm not arguing with you; I had the car so we're on the same side lol

The point is that the Q is mediocre compared to other sports sedans.
Mediocre for its class, sure. But not at its price point. Can’t touch an equivalent year AMG or M series for the same money. And just about everything for the same price isn’t as fast.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Mediocre for its class, sure. But not at its price point. Can’t touch an equivalent year AMG or M series for the same money. And just about everything for the same price isn’t as fast.
I guess I'm using facts rather than opinion here.

0-60 times
Q50 SS: 5.5 sec
A5 Sportback: 5.3 sec
A4: 5.1 sec
340i: 4.4 sec
Stinger GT: 4.4 sec
G70: 4.5 sec
Fusion Sport: 5.1 sec

Sure, the Q may have better support for go-fast parts but, out of the box, it trails the competition. AMGs and M series cars are in a different class and over $20k more expensive. Hard to compare the two.

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
1,177 Posts
Okay, but why not use the numbers of the RS, which would much better compare pricewise to Audi, Bimmer & Co? The RS accelerates in 4.5 seconds officially, C&D test car also ran that exact time in 2016. Another fact...

Reactions: ErikVQ

·
Registered
2016 Q50 Redsport 400 RWD
202 Posts
The speed part is mediocre unless you put $10k into the Q. Remember, I've had Vette's and in my life so out of the box I was running 12.5s. My Q wouldn't break 14 stock. Performance sedans nowadays need to show a sub 13 sec 1/4 to have anything going for it. We all know the Q is outdated and needs a serious revision/facelift to compete. For reference, a 4 banger A5 will do a 1/4 quicker than a 3.0t Q; not a good look for Infiniti.

I'd agree to some extent that the Accord is middle of the road minus the hybrid version which is why I went with it. It's a game for me. I can squeeze out as many MPGs as I can while driving. There's techniques, driving styles, etc. that go into it. Is it more fun than my Stinger? Absolutely not. Is it more fun and feature-friendly than my Q? Absolutely!
I've put about $4,300 into my car and I can run low 12s on the street with no prep, spinning part of 1st. As for the 0-60 times only the RWD Pure model will take 5.3s all sport models are sub 5s or 5 flat. $10k into this platform and you will be running mid-high 10s easily, there are about 10 or so stock turbo cars in the 10s

I'm curious if you were running low boost or maybe something with the car wasn't 100%? Bone Stock Q50 RS AWD runs 12.8-9

I'd say we agree to disagree that the Q isn't a great value, especially used, I am all in on this car currently w/mods for $31,000. To be compared to a used F80 M3 runs maybe .1-.3 faster in the 1/4 and will cost about $12k more

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
662 Posts
Okay, but why not use the numbers of the RS, which would much better compare pricewise to Audi, Bimmer & Co? The RS accelerates in 4.5 seconds officially, C&D test car also ran that exact time in 2016. Another fact...
Because that does not support the narrative. Non RS Q is unique in that you can add a $600 JB4 and be as fast or faster than everything on the list. Stock 3.0t numbers are irrelevant because it is ridiculously detuned / ridiculously easy to gain triple digit + HP and TQ.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
None of the cars I listed are $60k like the RS. Comparing a car that is $20k more is irrelevant.

I've put about $4,300 into my car and I can run low 12s on the street with no prep, spinning part of 1st. As for the 0-60 times only the RWD Pure model will take 5.3s all sport models are sub 5s or 5 flat. $10k into this platform and you will be running mid-high 10s easily, there are about 10 or so stock turbo cars in the 10s

I'm curious if you were running low boost or maybe something with the car wasn't 100%? Bone Stock Q50 RS AWD runs 12.8-9

I'd say we agree to disagree that the Q isn't a great value, especially used, I am all in on this car currently w/mods for $31,000. To be compared to a used F80 M3 runs maybe .1-.3 faster in the 1/4 and will cost about $12k more
I was thinking the same on my car but I think it has to do with the the fact mine was AWD - a bit heavier and the rotational mass to move the extra two wheels likely resulted in my 5.5 0-60. I had a SS for reference, not the RS. I was running Map6 with the max boost at +7 so roughly 16 lbs. The wheels on the Sport are pretty heavy as well so that is also another contributing factor to my time. I was able to get down to 4.7 with the JB4. Much better and I was happy with the results.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
"None of the cars I listed are $60k like the RS. Comparing a car that is $20k more is irrelevant."

Sorry, but LOL!

The RS costs 56k in US. A comparably powerful and equipped Audi, BMW etc. will imho not be cheaper, at least not here in Europe.

EDIT with fact check: "Your" Audi A5 Sportback with 349 hp, 369 TQ and 4.5s for 0-60mph costs 54,900 USD in base version. it is significantly worse equipped, with comparable equipment it costs easily more than 60k USD – very easily...

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Registered
2017 Infiniti Q50 RS400 AWD
248 Posts

0-60 times

Sure, the Q may have better support for go-fast parts but, out of the box, it trails the competition. AMGs and M series cars are in a different class and over $20k more expensive. Hard to compare the two.
Why wouldn’t you compare with a Red Sport? It costs less than $60k USD. They’re $60k ish here in Canadian dollars…

Reactions: DeeCee

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

0-60 times

Ok, so AMG or M series isnt the right segment, but the vehicles you listed all prove my point that while it may be a comparatively mediocre performer, it’s cheaper than the competition. At least the used market is. I can’t speak to new car pricing, since I don’t shop new cars. Pretty much everything on your list is consistently $10k + more than the Q on the used market, and if you put that $10K + into mods instead of the initial purchase, you end up out performing them all. That’s all I was trying to say, and it’s certainly not an opinion based point of view. My opinion based point of view would be ‘it’s a freaking Nissan Skyline, bruh! Nuff said!’ Lol

Reactions: DeeCee

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Why wouldn’t you compare with a Red Sport? It costs less than $60k USD. They’re $60k ish here in Canadian dollars…
TO compares base versions from Audi, BMW and MB with smaller engines and lesser equipment pricewise to the nearly fully equipped top version Q50 RS with 400hp.

·
Registered
2016 Q50 Redsport 400 RWD
202 Posts
I was thinking the same on my car but I think it has to do with the the fact mine was AWD - a bit heavier and the rotational mass to move the extra two wheels likely resulted in my 5.5 0-60. I had a SS for reference, not the RS. I was running Map6 with the max boost at +7 so roughly 16 lbs. The wheels on the Sport are pretty heavy as well so that is also another contributing factor to my time. I was able to get down to 4.7 with the JB4. Much better and I was happy with the results.
Actually never-mind your numbers add up, for some reason I thought SS came with 10psi factory. Makes sense then you were basically a hair above redsport boost levels with different gearing, wheels etc.

Anyway man glad you are satisfied with the Accord purchase, can't hate those cars. Drove one around for the past two months while my hooptie was getting sorted out

Reactions: SkylineDreamz

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
"None of the cars I listed are $60k like the RS. Comparing a car that is $20k more is irrelevant."

Sorry, but LOL!

The RS costs 56k in US. A comparably powerful and equipped Audi, BMW etc. will imho not be cheaper, at least not here in Europe.

EDIT with fact check: "Your" Audi A5 Sportback with 349 hp, 369 TQ and 4.5s for 0-60mph costs 54,900 USD in base version. it is significantly worse equipped, with comparable equipment it costs easily more than 60k USD – very easily...
My man, Fact Check: Why did you list the S5 Sportback power (349hp and 369 TQ)? There is a difference between an S5 and an A5, which I listed the A5. The A5 has 252 hp/273 TQ. The 5.3 figure I listed was for the 252/273 A5. Less power than the Q but quicker. Strange. But, one of the reasons it's quicker is the ZF 8 speed it has.
Why would I? All of the cars I listed are between $35k-$45k. A new non-RS starts at $42k. A new RS starts at $55k.
Ok, so AMG or M series isnt the right segment, but the vehicles you listed all prove my point that while it may be a comparatively mediocre performer, it’s cheaper than the competition. At least the used market is. I can’t speak to new car pricing, since I don’t shop new cars. Pretty much everything on your list is consistently $10k + more than the Q on the used market, and if you put that $10K + into mods instead of the initial purchase, you end up out performing them all. That’s all I was trying to say, and it’s certainly not an opinion based point of view. My opinion based point of view would be ‘it’s a freaking Nissan Skyline, bruh! Nuff said!’ Lol
I'm not referencing the used market, only new, which makes my point valid, bruh LOL

I'll have a skyline in my lifetime and come back here to show you all pictures. That's a childhood dream car. Good ol' Gran Turismo games were dope.
Actually never-mind your numbers add up, for some reason I thought SS came with 10psi factory. Makes sense then you were basically a hair above redsport boost levels with different gearing, wheels etc.

Anyway man glad you are satisfied with the Accord purchase, can't hate those cars. Drove one around for the past two months while my hooptie was getting sorted out
I checked the boost levels when i ran map0 and it never went over 9.6 lbs. It would hold pretty steady at 9.2ish. I had the boost safey at 18 lbs just in case. I was above Red Sport boost levels but not as quick, I'm guessing due to additional heat-dissipation mods and lighter wheels. Who knows.

Reactions: SkylineDreamz

·
Registered
770 Posts
Ah, magazine bench racing. Did all those listed figures come from the same place, same driver, same time, same conditions? In glancing at the list, seems the worst published time was given for the Q50 and best time for the others. Even so, given so many variables in the real world most of those would be a driver's race and close enough to really not matter.

·
Super Moderator
3,372 Posts
And my '21 SQ5 Sportback ('22 same performance specs) will do 0-60 in 4.7 sec.

Not bad for an SUV that weighs 4,321 lbs.

Font Parallel Screenshot Number Rectangle

·
Registered
1,972 Posts

0-60 times

Not sure where you are getting your 0-60 time for the Q50, but that isn't correct. 0-60 for the 300HP variants is 5.1 to 5.0 seconds. Car and driver tested it the same.
"From a standing start, this Q50 3.0T reached 60 mph in 5.0 seconds flat."

Reactions: ErikVQ and DeeCee

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Reactions: StingerGT
21 - 38 of 38 Posts