Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Saw this on InfinitiScene, thought I'd start one here!

So let me start with a drying tip. When drying your car after a wash, shoot a steady stream from your hose (no gun) at the car. Most of the water will just slide off the car and a simple microfiber can be used to dry some drips of water. Start from the top down. Makes the drying process so much easier!

Also I use Chemical Guys products. They're awesome, check out their YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/chemicalGuys

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Also you want to wash when the metal is cool to the touch. Washing hot paint will leave water spots. Also, you want the water to sheet off and not bead up. For sheeting action you need a little mild soap to break the water tension.

One last thing. I'm a big fan of clay bars. Get a meguiars kit with the lubricant and the clay. Use it once per year. It will amaze you. Especially on a brand new car that likely has over spray and other imperfections you can't see.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also you want to wash when the metal is cool to the touch. Washing hot paint will leave water spots. Also, you want the water to sheet off and not bead up. For sheeting action you need a little mild soap to break the water tension.

One last thing. I'm a big fan of clay bars. Get a meguiars kit with the lubricant and the clay. Use it once per year. It will amaze you. Especially on a brand new car that likely has over spray and other imperfections you can't see.
+1 on the clay bar!

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
clay bar works wonders!

Reactions: Q50Aggie

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Yeah I tried it once and it made me a believer. You wash and dry first and think it's clean. Then you get out your white clay bar and start working it over and you're amazed at what comes off the finish. The way it feels is awesome too, like glass when you're done. A coat of wax and maybe polish and you're golden.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yeah I tried it once and it made me a believer. You wash and dry first and think it's clean. Then you get out your white clay bar and start working it over and you're amazed at what comes off the finish. The way it feels is awesome too, like glass when you're done. A coat of wax and maybe polish and you're golden.
"Clay bar" sounds menacing. Any chance of ruining the car if you do it wrong?

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
I don't think so. As long as the clay is clean, you cant really scratch the car. I've been doing it for the past 5 years on my Acura TL. Just like afrosheen said, it feels like glass when you're done.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
"Clay bar" sounds menacing. Any chance of ruining the car if you do it wrong?
That's why you spray the surface liberally with lubricant. The Meguiar's kit (I swear I don't work for them) comes with their quick detailer spray and is perfect for this and little touch ups.

The clay is more like hard silly putty. It's workable and stays in one piece and is sticky to the touch until you get it wet.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Washing a car is not rocket science.

1 bucket for the soap
1 bucket for the rinse

Rinse after every panel

Wash the car out of direct sunlight (not in the direct sunlight!!)

Use a high quality microfiber wash mitt or better yet a real sheepskin wash mitt.

Dry using some sort of microfiber towel.

I usually pat dry to avoid scratches. If you must wipe use the weight of the towel - dont apply pressure. You can aid the wipe by spraying some quick detailer or spray wax on the surface before wiping off (acts as lubrication and finishes it with a nice gloss)

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Goodness I read this blurb on Amazon when researching Clay bar....

"There are claying videos on Youtube and I think on Meg's site. Watch them before you begin your project. When I do an average sized sedan, "right" you're talking about anywhere from 4 - 8 hours total."

4-8 hours to clay the car (not including the wash/dry)?!?! Lord have mercy! That's a LOT of time in the Southern heat for this gal!!! :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Goodness I read this blurb on Amazon when researching Clay bar....

"There are claying videos on Youtube and I think on Meg's site. Watch them before you begin your project. When I do an average sized sedan, "right" you're talking about anywhere from 4 - 8 hours total."

4-8 hours to clay the car (not including the wash/dry)?!?! Lord have mercy! That's a LOT of time in the Southern heat for this gal!!! :eek:
Yes maam and there should be a video of that car wash as well!

For informative purposes ofcourse! :p

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Yep it is time consuming. You only do it annually and you can skip it and just wash and seal if it's too hot.

Then again there are mobile detailers that will come and do it for you. You can sit on the porch with a mint julep and watch a sweaty man do all the work lol.
I live in Tennessee, not Kentucky! Tennessee is all about Jack Daniels (made here...in a dry county no less!) not Bourbon....but I don't drink either! I'm more of a vodka/martini or Moscato wine drinker! :D

·
Registered
302 Posts
My process is very easy:

1) drive to local brushless, full service car wash.
2) turn on hazards to indicate undercarriage wash
3) exit car
4) watch car being vaccumed & mats removed and cleaned
5) watch car being towel dried and interior wiped down
6) Go to step 1 when car needs cleaning

:D

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
My process is very easy:

1) drive to local brushless, full service car wash.
2) turn on hazards to indicate undercarriage wash
3) exit car
4) watch car being vaccumed & mats removed and cleaned
5) watch car being towel dried and interior wiped down
6) Go to step 1 when car needs cleaning

:D

The horror...the horror. I have yet to see a brushless wash that gets the surface clean, so the hand dry guys are wiping the gritty dirt off. I promise if you had an Obsidian car this would not be your choice. :p

·
Registered
302 Posts

The horror...the horror. I have yet to see a brushless wash that gets the surface clean, so the hand dry guys are wiping the gritty dirt off. I promise if you had an Obsidian car this would not be your choice. :p
I do have an Osidian G37x. :)

Honestly, I haven't taken as good care of it as our owned Infiniti. That will change with my Q50. Hand washing days will return!

Reactions: SnowItch

·
Registered
436 Posts
I used to detail exotic/luxury cars for a living so I have some experience. Do you guy have the "Absorber" shammy in the states? If so and you havent used it before, go buy one right now!

A little trick I share with people is to mist spray wax (prefer Lucas or Eagle One) onto the Absorber shammy as you are drying the car. Slides like glass and leaves a perfect finish between waxes.

Also, highly recommend a product called "World's Best Wax" which I have been using for years.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.