Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, after looking around for over a month for the right Q50 I finally found the right one and am / was about to purchase it tomorrow morning . It’s a 1 owner cpo 2017 sport with 26k miles that looks to be immaculate. The carfax shows 11 services with multiple “engine checks”. The engine checks are listed at approx. 2,400, 3,400, 4,000, 5,700, & 8,900 miles . Is this something standard that Infiniti does every time you go to the dealer or is this cause for concern of a preceding problem ? I don’t want to over think it and pass on what seems to be a great car but I also don’t want to inherit a lemon . Any advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also the carfax only shows the checks , no actual repairs are listed as having been performed .

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
The only time I saw a CarFax with that much service activity was a 2007 Porsche GT3 which was showing visits to the dealer every 1k miles for tires, which I could only interpret as the owner was club racing, and getting new skins mounted for the next race.

·
Registered
376 Posts
All those engine checks are probably from shredded belts lol
Jokes aside, I would just keep looking around

·
Registered
777 Posts
A friend of mine has his engine checked every time he brings his car in for service. This includes simple services like tire rotation and other miscellaneous service.

As suggested by another member....If you can find the dealership that performed the service, call and ask if this is a regular function they perform.

CPO is a huge plus.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies , the dealer selling the car is actually the same dealer that sold it new and did all the service . The sales men Is speaking with service and trying to figure it out . He said it was only checks when the car was brought it or updates . I still want to know what was noted from the previous owner to necessitate all the checks

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
2,400, 3,400, 4,000, 5,700, & 8,900 miles --> these intervals are too close for me to get comfortable. How about the timeframe between each visit? To me it seems like the previous owner was experiencing something, brings the car in but tech is unable to verify/replicate - or maybe eventually replaced / fixed something around 8900 miles. Then if there's nothing (major) logged between 8.9k miles and 26k miles, then I think that is okay. But then again, it wouldn't hurt to inquire with the dealership and do more research.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After the last engine check nothing else is shown
2,400, 3,400, 4,000, 5,700, & 8,900 miles --> these intervals are too close for me to get comfortable. How about the timeframe between each visit? To me it seems like the previous owner was experiencing something, brings the car in but tech is unable to verify/replicate - or maybe eventually replaced / fixed something around 8900 miles. Then if there's nothing (major) logged between 8.9k miles and 26k miles, then I think that is okay. But then again, it wouldn't hurt to inquire with the dealership and do more research.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The dealer actually just got back to me know , the check engine light was coming on for an emissions code . First they changed the evap control valve and the problem persisted, then they changed the evap canister and haven’t had any other problems . . I don’t think this is a big deal , but should this be enough to make me pass on it ?

·
Registered
164 Posts
You don’t want anything to do with a car that has questionable information on the Carfax. Carfax is a horrible organization, but unfortunately, bad or questionable information stays with the car. One day when you go to sell the car, the next buyer will try to murder your asking price over the specious information. They made plenty of these cars, so there’s no need to put yourself in that position.

·
Registered
777 Posts
The dealer actually just got back to me know , the check engine light was coming on for an emissions code . First they changed the evap control valve and the problem persisted, then they changed the evap canister and haven’t had any other problems . . I don’t think this is a big deal , but should this be enough to make me pass on it ?
Sounds reasonable and believable. If you’re going to pass on this good luck finding the perfect used car. One would think of it as a plus the previous owner brought the car in for service over avoiding the issue.

Infiniti CPO provides very good service coverage for a used car.

Reactions: MikeD1

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,811 Posts
Probably a leak in the EVAP canister as the system runs under a vacuum and there is a EVAP control system pressure sensor on the canister. That wouldn't be a reason for me to avoid the car.

Reactions: MikeD1

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I would be comfortable pursuing that car. Sounds like the problem has been addressed and the car is a CPO.

Reactions: Jeffpeds and MikeD1

·
Registered
65 Posts
congrats! lets get some photos

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Hope everything goes well and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2016 QX50 Touring AWD Malbec Black 325 HP ~ the Original CUV
18 Posts
Alright, I would've said " Roll the Dice "

If not too late, try to determine where these Checks took place at from Car Fax

City ? Dealer ? Call Service Dept, Give VIN# and politely ask what these "Checks" were about ?

You'd be surprised how willing and helpful most Service Writers can be in researching a Vehicle's past records.

Then in closing, ask them . . " Would you buy this car for yourself or a Family member based on these findings ? "

1 - 20 of 23 Posts