Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about this for a while and my car's basic warranty is about to end in a month. Powertrain coverage is still about 2yrs/30k miles away though.

So I ventured out and checked out some options I might like that's under 50k - something to sort of hold me over until electric vehicles mature. Here are the finalists so far:

1. 2018 C43 amg - very attractive and quick car; handles better and feels lighter than the Q50; quick 0-60 but loses steam thereafter; the 2019 update might be quicker than Q50 RS; addicting exhaust sound but it has a harsher ride and Sport/Sport+ mode is annoying if you're not racing.
2. 2018 Macan S - i almost fell asleep while accelerating to 60 but it felt like steering is better than the C43 and that PDK is awesome as expected.
3. 2018 M550i - holy macro! It is fast. But it isn't certified pre-owned so I moved on; I'm afraid that V8 engine might fail prematurely. And its color is what i'm avoiding (black).
4. 2019 G70 Sport - haven't tested it but there are ~7 brand new around me and dealers are asking >10k below MSRP. Maybe I should check them out.
5. M340i - would love to try one but no pre-owned offered within 75 miles of my area.
6. GS F - unicorn and pre-owned sells quickly in our area; above my expected budget unless I ditch my plan on going electric after ~5 years.

Anything else should I add? I still believe Q50 is a better value than any of the cars above - except maybe the G70 as it's priced well below the MSRP.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I drove a 2017 340I M-Performance (full package) recently - it's definitely a great car, compares to my Q50 in many ways. However, things to point out - no blind spot monitor, no forward distance sensors, no 360 degree camera, no forward collision avoidance, no lane keeping tech, no power steering wheel adjustment, felt like I was driving a 2012 car as far as tech goes. The dealer told me that the M-Performance models didn't come with those features. Audio system sounded similar to the Bose in my car, maybe a tad better. I would say that the overall performance side of the car was more enjoyable for me (louder, burbling exhaust, shifts were super smooth and responsive). However quick it was, I can't say it feels faster than my RS400. I also can't justify the price difference - the beamer was CPO, same amount of mileage as my Q when I bought it last year, $15k CAD more than my car. I could do a hundred different things to my car with 15k that would have my RS spanking the life out of that 340 and its mother. But boy, it was a joy to drive. Sorry if that was a mess, these are just the more prominent things I took note of.

·
Registered
2017 Q50 S Red Sport 400 RWD
123 Posts
I say, drive whatever floats your boat. Cars come and cars go. None of them are what I would consider a good investment. You only live once in this life. Drive what makes you happy.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Anything else should I add? I still believe Q50 is a better value than any of the cars above - except maybe the G70 as it's priced well below the MSRP.
My vote. Low $50s if you don't go crazy with options. More "utility" with the Sportback, if you need it.

Reactions: q50adix

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
3,837 Posts
I am very happy with my 50. My mind doesn't stray too often, I am pretty faithful to her. But if my thoughts ever do wonder, it's to this:

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I say, drive whatever floats your boat. Cars come and cars go. None of them are what I would consider a good investment. You only live once in this life. Drive what makes you happy.
That's what I'm trying to do, pick the car that'd be more fun. TBH, I don't really need it nor consider it as an investment. Just looking out there to see if there's anything better, which I'm sure there is.

What about a used M3? Roughly $46k with about 50k miles.
I really like the M3, in fact it's on my shortlist before I bought the Q50. Two of my friends talked me out of it due to potential headaches (based on their experience).

My vote. Low $50s if you don't go crazy with options. More "utility" with the Sportback, if you need it.

View attachment 94103
Why did I forget to put this car on my list lol

Thanks, I'll check the offers around here!

I am very happy with my 50. My mind doesn't stray too often, I am pretty faithful to her. But if my thoughts ever do wonder, it's to this:

View attachment 94110
I'm seeing my faithfulness is growing on one dealership here more - all because of warranty repairs they've been doing for me.

I also like that audi, but just as the G70 the back seat space is a little smaller than the Q. I always take my son for a ride almost everyday after work. He's still small and sits in the back yet complains about his little space already. It'll be a few more years before he'd be allowed to sit in front.

·
Registered
2017 Q50 S Red Sport 400 RWD
123 Posts
That's what I'm trying to do, pick the car that'd be more fun. TBH, I don't really need it nor consider it as an investment. Just looking out there to see if there's anything better, which I'm sure there is.
My Friend. There is always something better or different. No matter what you get. One year I went and bought a new SL65 AMG. Great car! But I felt guilty driving it because it cost more than some of my friends houses. I sold it and downgraded to 993 twin turbo. LOL!!! I love cars. If I could, I'd have one of each. My 2 cents.

Reactions: MikeD1 and q50adix

·
Registered
539 Posts
Kia Stinger. Change my mind

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kia Stinger. Change my mind
Haven't driven it but I like the G70 Dynamic edition - especially the current offers around me (<$40k brand new). If it had equal back seat legroom with the Q, I would have taken it home.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just picked up my new ride.
Looks nice! I've looked at Jags before but I'm always little hesitant to buy one as I keep seeing them stalled on the side of the road around here in houston. Might be a coincidence but I still ask myself, why is it always a jag? But it's a nice car nonetheless!

Any planned mods so far?

·
Registered
2018 Jaguar XE, had 2017 Red Sport 400, 17 Silver Sport, 14 Hybrid and 14 Base 3.7.
1,599 Posts
Looks nice! I've looked at Jags before but I'm always little hesitant to buy one as I keep seeing them stalled on the side of the road around here in houston. Might be a coincidence but I still ask myself, why is it always a jag? But it's a nice car nonetheless!

Any planned mods so far?
It's supercharged, I'm just going to enjoy it for now, I always wanted one, when Ford had them, they screwed them up, now that TATA has them, they are ten times better.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you poke around a bit I think you'll find the consensus is the AMG, Mxxx & Macan are all maintenance nightmares once out of warranty - parts & dealer $$ are just insane.
I have friends that own various models of these and they mostly lease them for that very reason. They ALL earnestly talked me out of a used CLS 63 AMG last year !

It can work out if you are able to do your own maintenance/diagnostics/repairs or you know of a competent independent shop in your area.

·
Registered
63 Posts
How about getting an extended warranty? I believe you can do it while the original one is still in effect.

I've been thinking about this for a while and my car's basic warranty is about to end in a month. Powertrain coverage is still about 2yrs/30k miles away though.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you poke around a bit I think you'll find the consensus is the AMG, Mxxx & Macan are all maintenance nightmares once out of warranty - parts & dealer $$ are just insane.
I have friends that own various models of these and they mostly lease them for that very reason. They ALL earnestly talked me out of a used CLS 63 AMG last year !

It can work out if you are able to do your own maintenance/diagnostics/repairs or you know of a competent independent shop in your area.
No doubt German brands will be more expensive to fix. I know a competent Merc mechanic though and charges a lot less than the dealer. But again, not looking for a retirement car, just something to have fun with over the next 50k miles and/or 4-5 years.

How about getting an extended warranty? I believe you can do it while the original one is still in effect.
I guess you can say I'm just starting to get tired of my Q50 after several visits to the dealership. I'm not really too concerned losing the warranty and paying out of pocket - except maybe for turbo issue, in case it happens again. But I would upgrade to Pure if that was the case.

·
Registered
2018 Jaguar XE, had 2017 Red Sport 400, 17 Silver Sport, 14 Hybrid and 14 Base 3.7.
1,599 Posts
No doubt German brands will be more expensive to fix. I know a competent Merc mechanic though and charges a lot less than the dealer. But again, not looking for a retirement car, just something to have fun with over the next 50k miles and/or 4-5 years.

I guess you can say I'm just starting to get tired of my Q50 after several visits to the dealership. I'm not really too concerned losing the warranty and paying out of pocket - except maybe for turbo issue, in case it happens again. But I would upgrade to Pure if that was the case.
Both BMW, and Audi offered me $21 k for my car, and knowing that used ones would cost me money to upkeep, I used Autotrader to value my car, they sent me a vaucher showing that my car was worth $29k, I took it to the dealership and they exepted it, I got the same money that I payed two years ago.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
BTW, if you join Audi Club North America, after 6 months of active membership you can get 6% off MSRP on applicable Audi models.

Join - Audi Club North America

LOL... Brooks Brothers - if they ever emerge out of Ch 11.

Reactions: MikeD1 and q50adix

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Both BMW, and Audi offered me $21 k for my car, and knowing that used ones would cost me money to upkeep, I used Autotrader to value my car, they sent me a vaucher showing that my car was worth $29k, I took it to the dealership and they exepted it, I got the same money that I payed two years ago.
That's an awesome deal I must say!

BTW, if you join Audi Club North America, after 6 months of active membership you can get 6% off MSRP on applicable Audi models.

View attachment 94124
Join - Audi Club North America

View attachment 94125

LOL... Brooks Brothers - if they ever emerge out of Ch 11.
LoL! Man I see you've never left the Audi world. With regards to the discount, I think the costco program has equal benefits - if not better. But good to know nevertheless.

·
Registered
94 Posts
No doubt German brands will be more expensive to fix. I know a competent Merc mechanic though and charges a lot less than the dealer.
That makes a huge difference, if I had reasonable access to a quality independent, I would be driving that AMG !

1 - 20 of 48 Posts