Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Showed up fast! I think I ordered it Wed, showed up today, Fri. Free shipping. :D

Went with the Add W1 Version 3 Oil Catch Can (OCC). I had narrowed it down to the Add W1 V3, the Add W1 V3.3, the Mishimoto (cheaper on Amazon than their own site), or the new BMS. And I guess the 5th option would have been to source my own components which I know would be a lot cheaper but I was lazy and wanted the nice pre-fab'ed bracket and the all-in-one ready-to-go kit.

I went with the Add W1 V3 for a few reasons. I didn't think the price increase and the greater installation complexity of the V3.3 was worth the extra money. The Mishimoto looks great but, if we assume all OCC's more or less perform the same basic function, why spend the extra money? And same with the BMS, why spend the extra money? - but to add to that, BMS won't ship to California (so screw them).

Lastly, in addition to the Add W1 being the most affordable (the 'holiday sale' is still going and the 10% code can be added on top of that), I really, really love the option to buy the 1-piece aluminum hose clamp instead of using two lame worm clamps. Furthermore, I liked the option of being able to add a colored ring and hose clamp. I'm not a big fan of decorating my engine bay with bright colors (nothing wrong with that, just not me), but I also thought black on black was a tad boring. So, I went with the gunmetal colored ring and clamp. Not too flashy but a little contrast. I dig it. :) Skipped the carbon fiber option, not really my thing.

I will add this OCC to the "install eventually" pile in my garage. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,448 Posts
Hopefully, you'll install that before you coke up your intake valves.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Showed up fast! I think I ordered it Wed, showed up today, Fri. Fee shipping. :D

Went with the Add W1 Version 3 Oil Catch Can (OCC). I had narrowed it down to the Add W1 V3, the Add W1 V3.3, the Mishimoto (cheaper on Amazon than their own site), or the new BMS. And I guess the 5th option would have been to source my own components which I know would be a lot cheaper but I was lazy and wanted the nice pre-fab'ed bracket and the all-in-one ready-to-go kit.

I went with the Add W1 V3 for a few reasons. I didn't think the price increase and the greater installation complexity of the V3.3 was worth the extra money. The Mishimoto looks great but, if we assume all OCC's more or less perform the same basic function, why spend the extra money? And same with the BMS, why spend the extra money? - but to add to that, BMS won't ship to California (so screw them).

Lastly, in addition to the Add W1 being the most affordable (the 'holiday sale' is still going and the 10% code can be added on top of that), I really, really love the option to buy the 1-piece aluminum hose clamp instead of using two lame worm clamps. Furthermore, I liked the option of being able to add a colored ring and hose clamp. I'm not a big fan of decorating my engine bay with bright colors (nothing wrong with that, just not me), but I also thought black on black was a tad boring. So, I went with the gunmetal colored ring and clamp. Not too flashy but a little contrast. I dig it. :)

I will add this OCC to the "install eventually" pile in my garage. ;)
So how many parts do you have laying around that need to be installed now?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So how many parts do you have laying around that need to be installed now?
You know what, I have been pretty good the last few months. I just updated my signature in fact. I moved things from the "Waiting for Install" sentence to the 'body' of my sig. Recently I have installed my Stillen Catback, OEM alarm integrated shock sensor, and my footwell LED lighting strips. And, while I haven't even put it in my sig yet, I did buy HKS LDPs to replace my non-resonated Megan Racing LDPs. And, I actually did start those the other night! :biggrin: The car is up on jacks and the MR LDPs are out of the car. I hope to continue and maybe finish tonight (11:20pm the night is young!). So, I think I just have left to install my HKS LDPs (half-way there) and my JB4. :) There might be something else, I forget.....

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This e-mail conveniently came in hours after the product was delivered to my door. :S

·
Registered
98 Posts
lol, same here.. i have a laundry list of parts to install. i did pick up the V3.3 and will install in the not to distance future.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
54 Posts
silver. i'm waiting on getting the CZP HKS BOV kit so i can install all at one time.
-AMS intakes
-CZP HKS BOV
-ADD W1 V3.3

spring time will be busy for me. lol

I would love to see a Install video on doing a ADD W1 V3.3 and a HKS BOV kit
being done at once as I want to add those bolt on components as well to my
2020 RS AWD Q50 in the near future...Next after that I want to do a HKS CBE
with Resonated LDP's...and lastly a Z1 Akebono Brake Kit to round out the package.
Finally, after some eventual wear or sidewall blowout get rid of those awful Dunlop's
and also (maybe) replace the stock wheels with some TSW's I like...My plan is to
do only bolt on upgrades to try to keep it as reliable as possible and try to avoid
any warranty issues with the stealership...

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would love to see a Install video on doing a ADD W1 V3.3 and a HKS BOV kit
being done at once as I want to add those bolt on components as well to my
2020 RS AWD Q50 in the near future...Next after that I want to do a HKS CBE
with Resonated LDP's...and lastly a Z1 Akebono Brake Kit to round out the package.
Finally, after some eventual wear or sidewall blowout get rid of those awful Dunlop's
and also (maybe) replace the stock wheels with some TSW's I like...My plan is to
do only bolt on upgrades to try to keep it as reliable as possible and try to avoid
any warranty issues with the stealership...
i will try to post video (i'm no hip youtuber/blogger so i'll try😂).
yeah, i replaced the dumb-flaps 4 days after i had car (to g37s wheels and snow tires)

i'm currently breaking down my akebono brakes for powdercoating

·
Registered
551 Posts
Unless you're insanely strapped for time, you can knock this install out in 20-30 minutes and have the peace of mind. It's insanely easy.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
When I installed my Mishimoto catch can, I probably spent 30+ minutes just trying to get the hose connections off the engine and intake ports and the new hoses back on. Its a tight fit to work your hands and tools in those areas! The rest of the install, I agree, is very simple.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ok, installed! Not too bad. Took me about 1.5 hours of 'work' time, about 2 hours of elapsed time, with breaks.

The hard parts: Getting the OEM hose out! Even after un-clamped and loose (easy to do), it was a pain to get the old hose out! The other hard things were, not so much routing the new hoses, but actually getting the new hoses on the OEM outlet/intake manifold and the inlet/PCV nipples. I don't know how I would have done it without 90 degree needle nose pliers (I think seen in my pics).

The Add-W1 fuzzy, black and white, very brief, instructions leave much to be desired. Do first watch some of the youtube vids before you start. There are several, including one from BIM and E POV. Link.

The kit came with 4 worm clamps, though I only needed two since I bought the optional 1-piece $17 aluminum clamp (I recommend). The other two worm clamps will be hidden under the engine cover (I haven't re-installed mine yet). The worm clamps are 1-2 sizes too large so you end up with a lot of extra "tail". The kit came with two unexplained nuts and bolts (pictured), which I don't know what to do with. The catch can bracket does have two unused holes in it, not sure if this is related. The final picture in the Add-W1 instructions show the use of zip ties which is never addressed in the instructions. I went ahead and added a few on my own as well (see pics). One of two Add-W1 papers, off to the side, shows a figure of a check valve and reads "Optional". A check valve didn't come with the kit. Do I need one???

I stuck a Q-Tip in my OEM hose and inlet/outlet nipples and there wasn't anything 'juicy'. Not sure if that is a good sign or not. But, obviously, I'll now monitor my OCC and see what she collects.

Almost 3am, work tomorrow, night all.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Crud. When I finished installing several nights ago, I closed the hood and checked to see if the catch can made any impressions in the hood liner. It appeared not to. Well, today was the first time I drove the car since install. Tonight, I popped the hood and there is a little denting on the hood liner. :( There is no adjustability in height, the bracket is fixed - it is what it is. Lame. Wonder what I should do?

·
Registered
190 Posts
There is no adjustability in height, the bracket is fixed - it is what it is. Lame. Wonder what I should do?
Is there room around it that you could bend it forward slightly to lower the total height? Prior to doing that, I would each out to ADD W1 with the concerns. After you exhaust both of those options, you could either cut a section of the bracket out and weld it back together, or go with the Mishimoto OCC.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,448 Posts
Get out your angle grinder!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Crud. When I finished installing several nights ago, I closed the hood and checked to see if the catch can made any impressions in the hood liner. It appeared not to. Well, today was the first time I drove the car since install. Tonight, I popped the hood and there is a little denting on the hood liner. :( There is no adjustability in height, the bracket is fixed - it is what it is. Lame. Wonder what I should do?
I just took another look at mine and sure enough it does hit the hood liner like yours. In fact it seems to be starting to wear it down in that area. Personally I think we should be sent a new bracket to resolve this issue. I will have to contact the company also.
IMG_20200215_152408.jpg

On the upside the CC is doing its job after about 1200 miles i have 1/2 Oz of oil. Not sure if this is about normal.

IMG_20200215_152527.jpg

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,448 Posts
The amount of oil you've captured in that time interval is typical.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts