Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
So the new bracket is defiantly shorter by about 1/3 of an inch. but there is another problem. If you notice from the pic the newer one is wider on the top and after installing the new bracket it now touches the engine cover. I tried angling the can but no matter what itt would still touch the engine cover or if I angled it toward the engine the can itself would touch the inter-cooler.

IMG_20200222_143456.jpg OCC.jpg

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
So is the updated bracket free for those who bought early ones?
u1, I am only speculating so do contact Add-W1 yourself but I suspect if you contact them and can show your hood liner is taking some wear, they will send you a new bracket for free. Keep us updated! Good luck.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
So the new bracket is defiantly shorter by about 1/3 of an inch. but there is another problem. If you notice from the pic the newer one is wider on the top and after installing the new bracket it now touches the engine cover. I tried angling the can but no matter what itt would still touch the engine cover or if I angled it toward the engine the can itself would touch the inter-cooler.

View attachment 90713 View attachment 90712
Oh no, bummer. :(

Does it clear the hood liner though?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah it seems to be clearing the hood, but it's hard for me to know 100% since there is already a permanent indentation there. But considering the difference in height it should be fine. I already contacted ADD W1 and they said they would get back to me with a solution about the engine cover.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
483 Posts
u1, I am only speculating so do contact Add-W1 yourself but I suspect if you contact them and can show your hood liner is taking some wear, they will send you a new bracket for free. Keep us updated! Good luck.
After seeing how my modified bracket clears my hood liner and engine cover well I will just leave mine as is.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Crud, it gets worse, lol. I hadn't put my engine cover back on until tonight. When I did, I see the catch can rests against it. Bummer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Crud, it gets worse, lol. I hadn't put my engine cover back on until tonight. When I did, I see the catch can rests against it. Bummer.
Yeah the bracket is too wide. I contacted Add W1 and the guy that responded said give him 1-2 weeks to figure something out., so I am not sure what is going to happen. At this point I am about to give the old bracket to my father to draw up a new shorter one and have it fabricated, he is a mechanical engineer and works with Cad/SolidWorks.

Also I did try and mount the bracket on the bolt closer to the front, but the OCC would not even fit at all.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
My new bracket showed up today..... well, yesterday as it is well after midnight, lol. I played around with it tonight (this morning?). First, it looks like it came from Add-W1's imperfection parts bin. It's not nicely finished, with blemishes, and no logo like the first one. It is shorter (a little over 7.5" vs. 8") so I think it will clear the hood liner. That's good. But, the short leg of the upper "L" is about 2" wide when the original was about 1" wide. With the current 1" wide leg, my catch can rests up against the engine cover. I can't imagine the new bracket even fitting with the engine cover installed. All I need is the same as the original bracket but a little (1/2"?) shorter to clear the liner. Why did I receive a wider bracket?? I replied back to Jack at Add, with pics. Let's see what he says. Arrgghh. 😣

Attachments

·
Registered
550 Posts
My catch can has always rubbed against my engine cover and the paint from the ring is already rubbed off. Once this all gets figured out I'll request the updated bracket and a new ring.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

·
Registered
373 Posts
Sh!t. I Installed the Add W1 OCC V3.3 last night. My hood liner hits the top of the OCC too. Any other news/updates from you guys with the updated brackets?

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,448 Posts
I wonder if the manufacturer ever installed one in a Q50 after building it?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Sh!t. I Installed the Add W1 OCC V3.3 last night. My hood liner hits the top of the OCC too. Any other news/updates from you guys with the updated brackets?

View attachment 91060
View attachment 91061
View attachment 91062

EQ,

This is what I received from Jack on Feb 26:

---
Hi <ptatohed>,

We'll work on this and get back to you in about 1 weeks.

Thank you
Jack

---

Haven't heard back yet. I just sent a reminder e-mail to him. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

You should probably report it to them with pics so they know it's not just a few isolated cases. e-mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
373 Posts
Done just now. I have emailed Add W1 with attached photos of the install and damage.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the add w1 3.0 and checked mine earlier and there is an indent in the hood liner as well, most likely from the dipstick and bracket.

The hood liner must really hang down when closed and compress that seal
because visually it looks like everything sits below the master cylinder cover.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I received an email from Jack (Add W1 Sales) at 1:51 AM PST this morning stating that the updated bracket will be ready in about 2 weeks.......... :unsure::cautious:o_O

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have the add w1 3.0 and checked mine earlier and there is an indent in the hood liner as well, most likely from the dipstick and bracket.

The hood liner must really hang down when closed and compress that seal because visually it looks like everything sits below the master cylinder cover.
You should reply to your “Order Confirmation” email (basically your invoice email) with photos of your proper installation and the damage due to the OCC. That’s what I did.

41 - 60 of 98 Posts