Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
I have 8,000 miles on my leased q50 and today noticed that I have a bubble on the sidewall of my front left tire,is this covered by warranty or I'm better off just buying another tire?
Tires are a specific exclusion. So unfortunately you're on your own.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd ask the dealer or a tire store that carries Bridgestone tires - that sounds like a defect. Even though tires may not have a tread wear warranty, the manufacturer warranty against defects - hopefully would apply.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Thread or sidewall separation is usually a typical manufacturing defect that is covered under warranty.
They can also be caused by potholes or by pinching the tire against a curb.

I had a Continental DWS replaced at 11 months because of a sidewall bubble caused by a pothole. Fortunately, Continental has a free 1 year replacement warranty, regardless of cause.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd ask the dealer or a tire store that carries Bridgestone tires - that sounds like a defect. Even though tires may not have a tread wear warranty, the manufacturer warranty against defects - hopefully would apply.
Thanks for the replies, I'm bringing for in to the dealership tomorrow hopefully I can get something done in my favor

·
Registered
444 Posts
I learned something this week with my wife's new SUV. Tires which are on the car when purchased are excluded from any warranty work. It makes sense because these things could be sitting on a 120 degree slab of asphalt for 8 months, or in sub zero conditions etc. before being sold and so forth.

So anything that happens to the factory tires is a SOL situation.:eek:

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I learned something this week with my wife's new SUV. Tires which are on the car when purchased are excluded from any warranty work. It makes sense because these things could be sitting on a 120 degree slab of asphalt for 8 months, or in sub zero conditions etc. before being sold and so forth.

So anything that happens to the factory tires is a SOL situation.:eek:
I understand what you're saying, but if you're buying a new car, all components on it should be under warranty. For a tire to fail like that in just a couple of months is inexcusable, and should have been replaced at no cost to the consumer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
@ChuckQ50 - What tires do you have? The OEM runflats on the car? As I've said before (maybe I need to make a thread that can be a "sticky"), my 19" dunlop RFTs were covered by a road hazard warranty between dunlop & Infiniti. My dealer didn't know this the day I had to replace a tire for $475 @ 500 miles due to a nail in the sidewall. I got a call the next day informing me of this warranty, and I received a check in the mail from Nissan North America a few weeks later for the full price I paid for the tire. My tires are the Dunlops, not Bridgestone.

At least worth asking before you are out $450.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
They can also be caused by potholes or by pinching the tire against a curb.

I had a Continental DWS replaced at 11 months because of a sidewall bubble caused by a pothole. Fortunately, Continental has a free 1 year replacement warranty, regardless of cause.
This is one big reason why i went with these tires on my Q50 after ripping another run flat two weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
I have 8,000 miles on my leased q50 and today noticed that I have a bubble on the sidewall of my front left tire,is this covered by warranty or I'm better off just buying another tire?
Mine wasn't covered by the warranty and I had the same issue, the sidewall basically peeled right back off of the tire. I took the issue to Dunlop (I have the 19 inch wheels) and they said it wouldn't be covered as a manufacture defect. Decided to just change all 4 tires to non run flats with road hazard warranty.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@ChuckQ50 - What tires do you have? The OEM runflats on the car? As I've said before (maybe I need to make a thread that can be a "sticky"), my 19" dunlop RFTs were covered by a road hazard warranty between dunlop & Infiniti. My dealer didn't know this the day I had to replace a tire for $475 @ 500 miles due to a nail in the sidewall. I got a call the next day informing me of this warranty, and I received a check in the mail from Nissan North America a few weeks later for the full price I paid for the tire. My tires are the Dunlops, not Bridgestone.

At least worth asking before you are out $450.
****...yea I had the stock runflat tires 19's I think I'm out of getting that refund I purchased my two new tires @ Pep Boys, I tossed the tires after I replaced them but I will call and see if I can get something if I have any problem with the other two run flats in the front. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I had some tire problems. The run-flats are much more sensitive to pot holes. I had one replaced at the dealer where I had to pay, but then I hit another pot hole (they have really gotten bad in Houston due to an excessive, I mean excessive, amount of rain we've been getting here) I went straight to Good Year and had both replaced as a defect. Good Year's policy is that they have to be able to see evidence of an impact to not replace it as a defect. The tougher material of run-flats mean most impacts won't show on the inside of the tire. I learned all this that day as the service guy was showing me the interiors of both my tires and explaining to me that impact damage is often not visually detectable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just want to say that I have had 2 sets of tires on my Q50S that BOTH had sidewall shredding/tearing. The first tire, a 4" slice in the sidewall near the rim. The second (last night this occurred), the tire pulled away from the rim. I was stranded in the middle of no where for ~3 hours.

These runflats are a joke and I can't believe they are still being manufactured (this Dunlop version for the 19" rim). I have NEVER in my entire 15+ years of driving (5 different cars) had a sidewall pull away from a rim.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Just an FYI- I went to Infiniti's facebook page and saw that a ton of people complained about the same exact thing, so apparently there's a major problem with those tires. I got rid of my RFT's after the first month becauseI hated the way they rode. Now I'm really glad I did.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Are these issues with the 19s mostly with OEM runflats? I was thinking of upgrading my 17" stocks to 18s or 19s. The more I read into the 19 issues, I'm thinking of going for 18" with 45 sidewall and staying away from 19"/40. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Are these issues with the 19s mostly with OEM runflats? I was thinking of upgrading my 17" stocks to 18s or 19s. The more I read into the 19 issues, I'm thinking of going for 18" with 45 sidewall and staying away from 19"/40. What do you guys think?
FWIW, I run an 18" wheel (off an FX) for my winter tires. Those are non-rft blizzaks, so totally different application. But I like the way they look and feel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.