Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i asked my dealer and they didnt know so i resort to asking the forum...and this question might make all of ya ???? wat a dumb...but anyways...how can you tell your car has DAS or not?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Pop the hood and see if there is a power steering pump on the serpentine belt.
Look at the in touch and see if you have the ability to adjust your steering.

Otherwise you can probably tell just by driving to.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
so i asked my dealer and they didnt know so i resort to asking the forum...and this question might make all of ya ???? wat a dumb...but anyways...how can you tell your car has DAS or not?
Are you kidding? The dealer doesn't know the make-up of the cars they sell? :confused: Since you are on Guam, I guess you have no choice in dealers. Good luck with any other problem with the car. :(

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
**** that's sketchy. :p

If it's the 3.7L V6 and it has maple wood trim on the interior, then it has DAS. That's the easiest way to tell from the outside.

The same with checking to see if it has the memory buttons on the driver's door or if it has the small black knob on the steering column for power tilt/telescoping.

If it's the Hybrid model, DAS is a standard feature.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Are you kidding? The dealer doesn't know the make-up of the cars they sell? :confused: Since you are on Guam, I guess you have no choice in dealers. Good luck with any other problem with the car. :(
Not to stick up for sub-par training, but it is possible that the person you spoke with knows nothing of cars in general They might not know how to tell is a car has power steering at all on any type of car. Car forums are littered with threads that start the exact same way, it is a very vexing problem. The majority of the people most owners come into contact with are trained mostly in client services not oddly specific technical questions.

I took a month "sabbatical" this summer to go work at another dealer in my area...needless to say I would not be surprised if anyone there could answer that question. Heck, I do not know that people in my current dealer would know the answer to that...the difference here is they do know how to find someone who can answer that question.

The next best way I can think of from inside the car with it running is to select the INFINITI DRIVE MODE option from the lower display and see if there is an option in there for steering adjustments. If not than it is conventional.

It is possible to tell by feel of the wheel but you would have had to experience several before you notice the subtle differences.

·
Registered
585 Posts
It is possible to tell by feel of the wheel but you would have had to experience several before you notice the subtle differences.
NOW YOU'VE DONE IT!!!

I know by reading the posts from several EXPERTS on this forum that there is a huge difference.

...and DAS Sucks!

Hater...:D

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Not to stick up for sub-par training, but it is possible that the person you spoke with knows nothing of cars in general They might not know how to tell is a car has power steering at all on any type of car. Car forums are littered with threads that start the exact same way, it is a very vexing problem. The majority of the people most owners come into contact with are trained mostly in client services not oddly specific technical questions.

I took a month "sabbatical" this summer to go work at another dealer in my area...needless to say I would not be surprised if anyone there could answer that question. Heck, I do not know that people in my current dealer would know the answer to that...the difference here is they do know how to find someone who can answer that question.

The next best way I can think of from inside the car with it running is to select the INFINITI DRIVE MODE option from the lower display and see if there is an option in there for steering adjustments. If not than it is conventional.

I know what you are saying, but I expect that a salesperson should know the equipment on the car they are selling. DAS is part of an option package for the gasser(which he owns), so either he has that option or he doesn't, and the personnel should know what is in that package.

·
Registered
309 Posts
NOW YOU'VE DONE IT!!!

I know by reading the posts from several EXPERTS on this forum that there is a huge difference.

...and DAS Sucks!

Hater...:D

I assume it is now officially ON.

I walked away from my computer and started thinking someone was going to say something about that...no surprises there.

At the end of the turning cycle it feels different. Realistically to most (non forum) users they may not ever notice a difference.

I know what you are saying, but I expect that a salesperson should know the equipment on the car they are selling.
Agreed, but the OP never mentioned talking to a salesperson or service staff member. He just said dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Reactions: SnowItch

·
Registered
309 Posts
Another quick way to tell if it does or does not have DAS is to turn the ignition on, engine off and look for the yellow steering warning light. Conventional steering does not have it.

:)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
okay...i dont have DAS...lol...and yes the dealer sucks...location sucks...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
LOL, so you admit that there is no difference? So DAS is not an improvement over rack and pinion.... DUR!
Yesterday I drove 2.5 hours in heavy rain (some of it torrential). This was at interstate speeds. Biggest trouble I had, besides the wish that the Q had 7 speed wipers, was keeping my speed down. The tracking and stability of the car was uncanny. The car never pulled or ever felt unstable. I believe that DAS and AWD, along with almost new tires, were the factors responsible.

I've never been a fan of AWD. I bought the Q in spite of the DAS. Today, I have to say that I'm a big fan of both.

Maybe DAS isn't best for the track, but in the real world hazard condition I encountered, it was a blessing. It removed the white-knuckle adjective from the day's trip.

·
Registered
309 Posts
LOL, so you admit that there is no difference? So DAS is not an improvement over rack and pinion.... DUR!
Ha, seems like the makings of an epic debate here.

I have to partially disagree with your statement. It is an improvement in power steering technology more than an improvement to the physical steering assembly. The physical linkage is very similar component wise to non-DAS models. The difference is what increases/decreases the force and speed applied to the pinion gear. DAS uses electric motors to perform the function of the pinion gear on conventional system, instead of a solenoid to regulate assist pressure within the rack. This system is more like a smart version of a conventional EPS system used on many hybrids and small cars for the last several years...which also uses a conventional rack and pinion as well as an electric assist motor mounted to the bottom of the steering shaft.

Yes, there are some early bugs in the system and they will be resolved and we will move on from it. In a few years it will be like throttle-by-wire, seat belts, airbags, and tire pressure monitors...all largely disliked when they came out but eventually standard equipment, and even possibly required.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I'm startking to like DAS.
It's laser accurate through corners once you get used to it.

You can also adjust the steering ratio to your comfort level.

And if you drive on roads of ill repair (*cough couhg* San Jose), you don't get jolts at the steering wheel which just helps the ride quality overall.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm startking to like DAS.
It's laser accurate through corners once you get used to it.

You can also adjust the sterring ratio to your comfort level.

And if you drive on roads of ill repair (*cough couhg* San Jose), you don't get jolts at the steering wheel which just helps the ride quality overall.
I've never understood the issue with DAS, I mean I did a test drive before I decided to buy the car, I liked it at that time, I didn't feel anything that was described on the reviews, I can even say that I felt it better than my M37S, so I bought my Q50 Hybrid.

After a month and a half, I love it now, If you think that driving in San Jose California is Bad, take a little trip down here to the Caribbean (Puerto Rico) and try to drive here, then you will know how great is having the DAS. ;)

·
Registered
252 Posts
The tracking and stability of the car was uncanny. The car never pulled or ever felt unstable. I believe that DAS and AWD, along with almost new tires, were the factors responsible.

I've never been a fan of AWD. I bought the Q in spite of the DAS. Today, I have to say that I'm a big fan of both.

Maybe DAS isn't best for the track, but in the real world hazard condition I encountered, it was a blessing. It removed the white-knuckle adjective from the day's trip.
I encountered this today on my way to work. There was a heavy downpour and although my Q50S is not AWD, I was easily and comfortably travelling the speed limit (or slightly above); understandably, the cars around me were all travelling at about half the speed limit. I must say that I never experience any hint of loss of control, the car felt planted and secure.

I've always been a fan of the DAS, and now more so that ever. This plus the IIHS safety awards for 2014 makes it a winner in my book. Plus, it's not bad to look at or drive either. ;)

Now, if only Infiniti would finally fix my slightly off center steering wheel... (I admit that it's mostly attributed to my undiagnosed OCD) :eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.