Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Infiniti Q50S

So weird. It magically started working again yesterday. This happened in July for a few days and someone said it was SiriusXM promotion related but I can't find anything from them this time around that would indicate the same.

Wonder how long it will last this time.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Free stuff! Cool.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,811 Posts
SiriusXM will be available for free until Dec. 1st.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Oh fun, but now that I work from home I literally drive less than once a week, but I do love the Rock the Bells and Underground Garage XM stations.

Reactions: Agc41510

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I subscribe to the traffic service. Along with the most basic music subscription. Living in an urban area I find it very useful. Saved me headaches several times. It is pretty close to real time also. At worst just a few minutes behind. At $3.99 per month it is a bargain. You have an expensive car. If you find traffic useful how can you not justify $3.99 a month. I can spend that in a day on beer somedays.

·
Registered
2014 Q50S
46 Posts
I subscribe to the traffic service. Along with the most basic music subscription. Living in an urban area I find it very useful. Saved me headaches several times. It is pretty close to real time also. At worst just a few minutes behind. At $3.99 per month it is a bargain. You have an expensive car. If you find traffic useful how can you not justify $3.99 a month. I can spend that in a day on beer somedays.
I would agree if this was 2005 when we didn't have Google Map on our phones.

·
Registered
98 Posts
When I lived in a more congested area I liked the traffic service, but since you could only get it with a radio subscription (which I find useless), I let it drop when the free trial expired.

Now that I'm basically in the sticks & rarely go to the city doubt I'd pay for traffic even if it were stand-alone.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,811 Posts
I can't use SiriusXM because of the topography of this area. The highways either follow the coast or go inland and cross through numerous hills while following river paths. The hills block out the satellite signal long enough to empty the buffer and the signal drops out frequently. I have better luck streaming Pandora with my phone than using SiriusXM.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yes its free currently but I've been using a 3 month free trial for about a year now.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
When I lived in a more congested area I liked the traffic service, but since you could only get it with a radio subscription (which I find useless), I let it drop when the free trial expired.

Now that I'm basically in the sticks & rarely go to the city doubt I'd pay for traffic even if it were stand-alone.
I have been led to believe that you can get the service without requiring a music plan. I have not explored that so I am not certain.

Reactions: MikeD1

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I can't use SiriusXM because of the topography of this area. The highways either follow the coast or go inland and cross through numerous hills while following river paths. The hills block out the satellite signal long enough to empty the buffer and the signal drops out frequently. I have better luck streaming Pandora with my phone than using SiriusXM.
No big loss really. I stream Apple music for most of my music. I have an iPhone SE II with dual SIMs. I have a very basic pay as you go service on the second SIM. If my primary carrier, T-Mobile is unavailable it will seamlessly switch to the secondary on the Verizon network without a glitch. Unfortunately the switch doesn't work seamlessly for phone calls as it is a separate number but for data it is just fine.

The SiriusXM reception is better near large urban areas. The dirty little secret is that SiriusXM is licensed as a satellite service with terrestrial augmentation when the opposite is true. They have a .5 megawatt transmitter in Chicago 85 miles away. I still receive the signal without hiccups when I am in a seven story parking structure. I would venture to guess given the population density in cities that most subscribers get their service that way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I spent a significant part of a day calling Infiniti Navi support and SiriusXM trying to figure out why I couldn't add the 3.99 traffic option to my music subscription on the SiriusXM site. There seems to be a glitch for the NAVI systems that will not allow the subscription. Yet, it just starts working when they open up free listening a couple times a year.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I spent a significant part of a day calling Infiniti Navi support and SiriusXM trying to figure out why I couldn't add the 3.99 traffic option to my music subscription on the SiriusXM site. There seems to be a glitch for the NAVI systems that will not allow the subscription. Yet, it just starts working when they open up free listening a couple times a year.
The problem is with the SiriusXM database. Not the hardware. This has been going on since the Q50 was introduced. What, almost eight years now? Typical bureaucracy. I had a hard time convincing them they had it wrong. Just tell them to put the damn thing on the account. It will work.

As you can see that when they have the free promotion it obviously works.

Reactions: Agc41510

·
Registered
2 Posts
While I've enjoyed having Sirius for the past few days for free, I'd never pay for it when I can choose what I listen to with my Spotify account. The choice of genres is limited in my opinion. Superfluous waste of money for me, but to each their own.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
While I've enjoyed having Sirius for the past few days for free, I'd never pay for it when I can choose what I listen to with my Spotify account. The choice of genres is limited in my opinion. Superfluous waste of money for me, but to each their own.
This thread is about the traffic function. I'm sure many will agree with your sentiment but I believe the traffic is available separately.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a music subscription. I like not having to fiddle with music selections and I like to be surprised. Traffic is available separately from music.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts