Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Infiniti q50 Red Sport
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my cat was in the pound for 3 months. When I picked it up I saw a yellow triangle with an exclamation in the middle.

I ran a simple diagnostic they offer free at Autozone and O’rellys and got back a P0087.

What do yall think it could be?

In diagnosing it where should I start?

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,306 Posts
Means low fuel rail pressure detected. Does it run fine? Might just be a quirk of sitting too long...maybe a slight clog in the line. How does the car run?

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,100 Posts
So my cat was in the pound for 3 months. When I picked it up I saw a yellow triangle with an exclamation in the middle.

I ran a simple diagnostic they offer free at Autozone and O’rellys and got back a P0087.

What do yall think it could be?

In diagnosing it where should I start?
How much gas is in the gas tank? What do you mean by your cat was in the pound for 3 months? I'm assuming you meant car.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much gas is in the gas tank? What do you mean by your cat was in the pound for 3 months? I'm assuming you meant car.
😂

Yes I meant car. My car was taken to an impoud where it stood for 3 months without ever being turned on or driven.

As far as gas I want to say there was approximately 1/4 tank or less.

I'm curious to know why the tank level has anything to do with it?

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,100 Posts
😂

Yes I meant car. My car was taken to an impoud where it stood for 3 months without ever being turned on or driven.

As far as gas I want to say there was approximately 1/4 tank or less.

I'm curious to know why the tank level has anything to do with it?
Because a low level in the gas tank can cause the LPFP to suck air and drop fuel line pressure. The SM mentions low gas tank level as a possible cause of P0087.

Reactions: Code.Name.Pops

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
From your experience what’s the best way to see if this indeed is the case?
Based on Avedis description I'd say top off the car with fresh fuel and then prime the fuel pump a few times but turning it into accessory mode and then turning off the car 3-4 times.
But the factory SM I had on my old laptop hasn't been moved to my new one yet, so if Avedis replies back with instructions I'd defer to him.

There was another forum member who ran into a similar issue and his car needed an update to one of the control units, but given the model year of your car it likely got that from the factory.

But relevant thread is below.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,100 Posts
Fill the tank, have Autozone clear the DTC and see if you get P0087 again.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will give that a shot and let you guys know what happens.
On August 26th after replacing my flat tire I drove my car and noticed the dash might that pulled a P0087 code was gone. One day later came back on. Two days later turned off. A few hours later turned on and stayedon until 2 days ago it turned off and hasnt come back on.

I feel it’s a matter of time before it comes on again.
Any explanation to this happening?

·
Registered
669 Posts
You may want to take it into your local Infiniti dealer and have it checked out. But I am curious as to why your car was in the pound for 3 months. I would need mine back a little faster than that if I got towed or whatever.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
On August 26th after replacing my flat tire I drove my car and noticed the dash might that pulled a P0087 code was gone. One day later came back on. Two days later turned off. A few hours later turned on and stayedon until 2 days ago it turned off and hasnt come back on.

I feel it’s a matter of time before it comes on again.
Any explanation to this happening?
Not a bad idea to bring it into the dealer in the code persists, but I'd wait until your next refill personally and see if it goes away all together after that.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Have you emptied (driven) the original gas and filled up with fresh? If it's pure gasoline and no corn oil, it should still be "good enough" after 3 months although at that point probably starting to degrade. Add ethanol though and potential issues can arise, depending on how well it was stored. Has a tendency to collect moisture and worse yet, when it gets enough can separate, sinking to the bottom along with the water (both heavier than gasoline).

Wouldn't think this would happen in the gas tank but perhaps it was suspect to begin with, if the station doesn't practice good storage techniques.

May not be the case here, just saying to get rid of the old and put some new gas in and then after awhile see it the code pops back up.

I've had a bad experience or two with gas, one of them in my CTS-V was so bad it would not start on its own without spraying say carb cleaner or starter fluid spray in the TB to get it going. Afterward, ran fine until the next time it sat. After going through the gas and putting new in it from a different station, ran just fine and never another issue...Suspecting the mobil station I bought it from originally didn't store it right or something...

I do not like ethanol but we are forced here in CA to have ~10%....it is especially crappy for small engines like lawnmowers, string trimmers, chainsaws, etc. Constantly having fuel issues with that stuff on those. There is NOWHERE that sells "pure" unleaded here.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A few days ago the light came back on and hasn’t turned off. I had my breaks serviced at a local mechanic shop. These guys are competent and fair. They ran a diagnostic on it using one of the higher end scanners and it came back with the recommendation of swapping out both air flow sensors.

Does that sound right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts