Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its hot as **** in socal today.

Anyone here have a stanky a/c? It only smell AFTER I turn off the a/c and keep the fan running. Like immediately after I turn it off.

In other vehicles, the smell is there after u turn off the car and turn it back on as molds start to grow due to moisture.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Every car AC smell after you turn it off and air coming through the air vent when you drive. What work for me to minimize the effect is either don't use the re-circulation or turn off the AC a mile before you get home and turn off the car.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yes. I have this problem. Dealer has said they can't find anything wrong.

And I reject the notion that every car does this. I have owned 13 cars and other than one that had something wrong with it--which the dealer diagnosed and fixed--none of them have had this problem.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Every car AC smell after you turn it off and air coming through the air vent when you drive. What work for me to minimize the effect is either don't use the re-circulation or turn off the AC a mile before you get home and turn off the car.
??? The smells happens immediately after I turn off the a/c while driving. Not when I start up the car.

This never happened in my G35 coupe or my previous Is350 fsport.

I know it happens when you turn the car off while using the A/C but that's not what I am referring to.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Maybe it's a temperature issue.
The AC runs when you defrost the front window.
So presumably all those folks in the arctic freeze have had their AC on at some point running the front defroster.

I've used mine to for defrosting.. no issue's.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My car does this too, the A/C smells funky when I turn it ON, but only for the first 30 seconds. I figure its because the car is new and it will eventually go away. I have only had the car for week, so only time will tell, the smell does seem to be going away.

I would say just continue using it constantly, thats what I have been doing, since its been in the upper 80's here in Socal

Another thing I would do is check out your A/C Air filter, take it out and check if that is the source of your smell.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I see. I don't think I get the smell when turning off the AC while driving.
I do get the smell after driving with AC on, turn off the car and left it for while. I'm going to pay attention to it later today when I drive home from work.

??? The smells happens immediately after I turn off the a/c while driving. Not when I start up the car.

This never happened in my G35 coupe or my previous Is350 fsport.

I know it happens when you turn the car off while using the A/C but that's not what I am referring to.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
No, it will not get better. That's how it is unless you own one of MikeElmendorf 13 previous cars :rolleyes:

My car does this too, the A/C smells funky when I turn it ON, but only for the first 30 seconds. I figure its because the car is new and it will eventually go away. .

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
What kind of smell? I've seen some cars that get a little mildewy smell from the AC if the user runs the AC most of the time. But I've noticed one or two Q50's with a bit of a "low tide" sort of smell when they're relatively new. I'm not sure if this is just something that got into the HVAC system on the boat, at the port, or whatever. But it seems to go away fairly quickly.

Best way to avoid the mildew smell is to drive the car with AC off some of the time - and if possible, turn it off 1/2 mile from home so it can dry out before you get there and not sit, wet all night growing mildew. Also, citrus disinfectant sprayed into the vents below the windshield (under the hood) while the AC is running full blast will clear out the mildew at least temporarily, and probably long-term.

·
Registered
236 Posts
found the problem in my car! it was the in cabin air filter...it got wet somehow and thats where the smell is coming from...my dealer told me it could have been from the tinting or even the condensation from shipping...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
What I notice when I drove home today with the AC on. Within the first 20 minutes of AC usage while driving and when I turn off of the AC, I got this faint AC smell for about 5 seconds or so. After that, the smell disappear. After 40 minute of AC usage while driving and when I turn it off, I do not get the smell.

By the way, anyone know where the cabin air filter located on the Q50?

·
Registered
263 Posts
What I notice when I drove home today with the AC on. Within the first 20 minutes of AC usage while driving and when I turn off of the AC, I got this faint AC smell for about 5 seconds or so. After that, the smell disappear. After 40 minute of AC usage while driving and when I turn it off, I do not get the smell.

By the way, anyone know where the cabin air filter located on the Q50?
most likely behind the glovebox.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
found the problem in my car! it was the in cabin air filter...it got wet somehow and thats where the smell is coming from...my dealer told me it could have been from the tinting or even the condensation from shipping...
You may want to periodically check that there aren't lots of leaves and other gunk clogging up the vents below the windshield wipers (outside, not in). Sometimes if that gets clogged up, water can end up on the air filter or even inside on the passenger side. It can make a mess and be smelly.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hope so. My Lexus ES350 is in the glove box. So easy to replace.
I used to have an Honda Accord 2002 which you have to remove the entire glove box just to get to the air filter :eek:
Same thing with the G35 coupe. Remove the passenger kick panels (which was a biotch), and then the glove box.

On the Lexus it was real easy.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What kind of smell? I've seen some cars that get a little mildewy smell from the AC if the user runs the AC most of the time. But I've noticed one or two Q50's with a bit of a "low tide" sort of smell when they're relatively new. I'm not sure if this is just something that got into the HVAC system on the boat, at the port, or whatever. But it seems to go away fairly quickly.

Best way to avoid the mildew smell is to drive the car with AC off some of the time - and if possible, turn it off 1/2 mile from home so it can dry out before you get there and not sit, wet all night growing mildew. Also, citrus disinfectant sprayed into the vents below the windshield (under the hood) while the AC is running full blast will clear out the mildew at least temporarily, and probably long-term.
Slight mildew smell. It doesn't smell during initial startup. It smells right after I turn the A/C off.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, I had my fans on all day (recirc). No smell.

Then, 2-3 minutes AFTER turning the A/C on, it starts to smell horrible. Had to turn the A/C off and open my windows to vent out the car. (kept the fans running in recir mode)

Car is going to the stealership on Monday.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Okay, I had my fans on all day (recirc). No smell.

Then, 2-3 minutes AFTER turning the A/C on, it starts to smell horrible. Had to turn the A/C off and open my windows to vent out the car. (kept the fans running in recir mode)

Car is going to the stealership on Monday.
Not being funny here, but having the car running in recirculating mode for all that time means that the same air is staying in the car, with no refresh of outside air. Of course it's going to be "stale." I only purposely have the recirc mode on when I'm around diesels, or going through an area with bad air pollution. If that's the reason for an all-day recirc mode, then I'd move. This sounds like another "nit" that the dealership is going to have to "pick" with you.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.