Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did few road test with Q50 but never with the Direct Active Sterring.
So yesterday , i had a chance to test a Q50S AWD with DAS, 19 inc wheels

First i must tell you that i live in Montreal (canada) and here we have probably the worst road in north america. In some road with avec some kind of track or channels that are digged buy trucks in snow melting season.

I know with large tires the car use to go in those tracks and following them, going out of them requires an effort on the steering wheel.

When i was driving this Q50 i noticed a strange behavior. The car was rocking from right to left, like if you are turning quickly the steering from left to right, to left to right etc.. very fast.

I didn't like this feeling. My interpretation is that the DAS was trying to correct my direction trying to pulling me out of the track, following by the natural behavior of the tire to go bac in the track, following a correction from the DAS etc..

Before trying it , i had a very postifiv attitude telling myself to not listen what reviewer said about DAS, it should be a good option to take.

But i must say in certain conditions it could be a bad option to take.

May be i m going to give it another try with non sport and 17 inches wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Reactions: SnowItch

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think people should stop judging this car till at least own it for a few weeks. I think this can in everyway possible is just awesome from DAS to all of the techs and look.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Ive driven over roads like that and never once have I experienced it in my car with DAS. Although I drive with all the driving aids off. Like simpson said, thats probably the lane controls problem.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forget to mention that i was in the middle of montreal, and no clear lane visible (no paint) and it was raining a bit.

So i m quiet sure it wasn't this function. May be it was on. I don't know.

We can't have the car for a week before judging it. So just a few minutes test drive give us some information. Too bad if infiniti designed a system that don't give a good feedback during those kind of road tests.

And may be car auto reviewer test on a track where almost no one will bring their Q50, they have it for few hours and almost all said the DAS is disapointing.
May be they are expecting too much for such a car like a Q50.

As i said i would have been very happy to fall in love with the DAS but for now unfortunatly not

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive driven over roads like that and never once have I experienced it in my car with DAS. Although I drive with all the driving aids off. Like simpson said, thats probably the lane controls problem.

May be i m going to try another car in another dealer. THe car was brand new, with all the protection on the car. It could be overinflated tires or something like that. May be the car was not prepared yet ?

The salesman can't find the key of the demo car so he took one on his parking lot

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
I've had mine for over a month and have no complaints with the DAS. So I will take my opinion over the car reviewers anyday.:cool:

·
Registered
59 Posts

Yeah, I think it's a preference thing. That's why I didn't go with DAS. Personally, I would have paid thousands more for the DAS package and would have ended up turning off 90 percent of the settings for the ride to be enjoyable to me. That just wasn't worth it to me.

Some people will like it, some will not.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think people should stop judging this car till at least own it for a few weeks. I think this can in everyway possible is just awesome from DAS to all of the techs and look.
You sound a bit Infiniti Homeristic. I think there are awesome things about the car, but it's definitely not without faults as we can see from user reports. Some are even going as far as calling it a beta LOL. I wouldn't go that far, but I would say there are areas where it needs definite improvement. The look of the car is amazing, but the tech side could use some software patches for sure.

·
Registered
982 Posts
When I first test drove the car with DAS, I didn't like. Having owned the car for a week, I still don't like it. Which is why I opted to lease the car instead and will hopefully get the new Q60 coupe when it's out. (they better not force the DAS crap on this car).

If there was an option to choose the Touring Package without DAS, I would have gotten that package.

The steering just feels artificial to me. I have everything sent to normal or standard but it still doesn't feel like a normal rack and pinion equipped vehicle.

Not sure what the setting was when I first test drove the car but I almost hit a curb making a right. The sales guy then adjusted it to all the settings possible. We went though each setting one by one and the only one that felt okay was normal or standard.

Active Lane Control uses DAS so yes, DAS is the fault in the OP's experience. Which is why you cannot get the Technology Package without the Touring Package.

·
Registered
106 Posts
When transitioning from my g37 to my q50 with DAS it took me a few days to get used to it. After driving my car q50 for a few months, I absolutely love the DAS and how quickly it responds to steering input. Didnt realize the difference until i had a g37 loaner one day and an idiot blindy pulled from the shouder of the highway causing me to have to swerve abruptly to avoid an accident, the g37 steering seemed like it had a delayed reaction. I initially thought the g37 had a steering issue but then i realized its just not as responsive as the DAS. I've now been driving a non-DAS Q50 for over a week and at first I could really feel the difference in response to steering input between my car and the loaner but Now I've gotten so used to driving the loaner that the steering response feels fine to me. I guess its all relative to how quickly you adapt to the change in how DAS operates vs. Hydraulic steering. I know when i get my car back ill have to get aquainted with the DAS again.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
I had the exact same experience when I took my first Q out for a test drive. All of the sales tips for the sale people tells them to turn the car to sport mode during test drives. My salesperson did this and had me make a right turn out of their parking lot. The road was VERY bumpy and wavy. With the heavy/quick setting on the steering, I felt that same type of rocking movement. It was VERY unsettling and I almost crossed the Q off my list.

However, Once I got off of that really bad road, the steering felt fine. I put the car in its standard mode and went down the same road at the end of the test drive and it was MUCH better.

I believe the system that feeds the 'road feel' that gives the user feedback on the road surface doesn't know what to do with road surfaces like that in the heavy/quick setting. I believe it's just too sensitive. It was a very odd and unsettling feeling. It felt like the computer was trying to determine the road surface and feed it back to me but the programming was flawed.

I recommended that the salesperson never take that right turn out of their lot for the first part of the test drive and certainly not turn on the sport mode if she did. The best description I can give is that it felt like one of the wheels was missing 4 lugnuts and was wobbling all over the place.

As I said though, when I switched to std/std for the steering that all went away.

On subsequent test drives I avoided that road and haven't had that same experience since. I did go back at the end of that first drive on the same road and the std/std did not exhibit the same road feel.

I've now been actively driving my Q for about 1.5 months and haven't had that experience yet on an single road.

My suggestion would be to make sure the steering is set to std/std and, if you still feel it, turn off the active lane control. Sometimes the car steering tries to correct for you to keep you in a straight line and it may just not be as capable on some really bumpy surfaces.

Either way, give it another shot an drive a Q on a few different settings on that road surface and see if you notice a difference. I did and I'm happy with the result.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I generally like the handling of the car. However, at highways speeds WITHOUT Active Lane Control and in Sport Mode I do get the sense that the car is trying to correct itself with regard to the steering. Not in a way that feels unsafe or that changes the direction of the car in a major way but in a way that makes me feel like like the front end is slightly disconnected from the road. I don't like it but it isn't problematic.

I'd be willing to bet that the DAS is doing something like this as it is receiving a bunch of data about the front wheels and where they are in relation to the steering wheel and thinks it need to "adjust". I think Infiniti really needs to relax the tolerances for what constitutes a necessary adjustment and not over adjust resulting in this false/disconnected feel.

Is there a way to contact Infiniti to voice feedback to let them know about my annoyance with the system?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had the exact same experience when I took my first Q out for a test drive. All of the sales tips for the sale people tells them to turn the car to sport mode during test drives. My salesperson did this and had me make a right turn out of their parking lot. The road was VERY bumpy and wavy. With the heavy/quick setting on the steering, I felt that same type of rocking movement. It was VERY unsettling and I almost crossed the Q off my list.

However, Once I got off of that really bad road, the steering felt fine. I put the car in its standard mode and went down the same road at the end of the test drive and it was MUCH better.

I believe the system that feeds the 'road feel' that gives the user feedback on the road surface doesn't know what to do with road surfaces like that in the heavy/quick setting. I believe it's just too sensitive. It was a very odd and unsettling feeling. It felt like the computer was trying to determine the road surface and feed it back to me but the programming was flawed.

I recommended that the salesperson never take that right turn out of their lot for the first part of the test drive and certainly not turn on the sport mode if she did. The best description I can give is that it felt like one of the wheels was missing 4 lugnuts and was wobbling all over the place.

As I said though, when I switched to std/std for the steering that all went away.

On subsequent test drives I avoided that road and haven't had that same experience since. I did go back at the end of that first drive on the same road and the std/std did not exhibit the same road feel.

I've now been actively driving my Q for about 1.5 months and haven't had that experience yet on an single road.

My suggestion would be to make sure the steering is set to std/std and, if you still feel it, turn off the active lane control. Sometimes the car steering tries to correct for you to keep you in a straight line and it may just not be as capable on some really bumpy surfaces.

Either way, give it another shot an drive a Q on a few different settings on that road surface and see if you notice a difference. I did and I'm happy with the result.
May be you are right about the setting ? i didn t have the time to play with. And i think you re right salesman use to set it to sport and heavy to be sure you feel the difference between the non das car.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
All of this just shows how everybody's perceptions are based on their preferences. I drove the car in standard setting for a long time, but was much happier with the steering when I switched to heavy-quick. Just use the mode you like better.

·
Registered
164 Posts
All of this just shows how everybody's perceptions are based on their preferences. I drove the car in standard setting for a long time, but was much happier with the steering when I switched to heavy-quick. Just use the mode you like better.
That is the great thing about DAS: Ability to change the setting by press of a button depending on your mood or who is driving the car

·
Registered
225 Posts
May be you are right about the setting ? i didn t have the time to play with. And i think you re right salesman use to set it to sport and heavy to be sure you feel the difference between the non das car.
Try out the quick/standard setting. I believe most users have stated that it's similar to the G37's steering feel. I have it set on my car and like it. I like the heavy/quick too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.