Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my 2020 q50 has factory CarPlay. It is wired though. I have found a dongle at Amazon - it connects to a USB port and the car thinks this is a CarPlay client. But the dongle also connects to your phone wirelessly and the phone thinks it found a wireless CarPlay server. I have no idea how this proxy is implemented or if it breaks with the next CarPlay upgrade, buy it works flawlessly now and the dev team seem to be active and releasing updates. This is how it works: when connected to USB it gets the power when you open the door. By the moment you start the car it takes 3-5 seconds to see the carplay UI. No buttons to press - automatic connection. Amazon Link, get it with prime, do not get direct from China or you will have to pay return shipping if it’s a dud.

While I’m here there is also a good product that taps into mirror power for clean dashcam connect. It is already pre-wired. You will loose dimming side mirror function on red sport. Link

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
So, normally you would have to have your phone plugged in for CarPlay to work in a 2020? WTF?

·
Registered
151 Posts
So, normally you would have to have your phone plugged in for CarPlay to work in a 2020? WTF?

Yeah it is pretty dumb how you cant UI wirelessly, you must plug it in via USB (Android)
and sometimes my Ways app doesn't always connect properly so I'm forced to use
my smartphone independently...I'm not sure if its the same with the Apple Carplay,
but it probably is.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Yeah, it’s not just Nissan though. MB, Audi, Volvo does that too I think - only wired
Well, at least everyone is up to date with the latest tech.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yeah, it’s not just Nissan though. MB, Audi, Volvo does that too I think - only wired

Come to think of it, my Son has a I-phone 11 and he has to plug his in via USB as
well to connect his car play on his 2016 MB CLS AMG-S...Pillboy was correct.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,323 Posts
That's what I have to do when connecting an iPhone to Apple CarPlay in the wife's Mazda3.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I heard wireless CarPlay (not sure about Android auto) is not very reliable hence the reason they go wired. I was debating between 2020 CLS and Q50. CLS also does not have wireless carplay, but it also does not have a touch screen! Honestly, the ability to use CarPlay with touchscreen together with decent Bose system and a backup camera is the only “non-driving” tech that matters to me personally. Maybe it’s just my opinion but MB and other makers attempts to “pull a Tesla” are laughable. My analogy is buying a “smart tv” with embedded OS that get obsolete in a year vs buying a good dumb TV and connecting a Apple TV to it, transforming the whole experience. I wish car manufacturers will do the same instead of underinvesting into their half-baked infotainment systems

1 - 8 of 8 Posts