Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 3.0t (non-RS) AWD
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! New to the forums, and also new to the q50! I'm loving the car so far, and I scoured the community here before making my purchase (2016 3.0T Q50). It's a great place!

I've noticed on and off that there's some sort of squeal when my car gets above ~2500 RPM. It's not super repeatable, but I've done some experiments while driving:
  • Turning the AC off will (most of the time) stop the squealing
  • The squealing can start with the AC off, but if I turn the AC on and back off, it goes away
  • No squealing below 2500 RPM
  • It almost sounds like a belt, and it leads me to believe it could be a compressor issue?

I've seen 'similar' posts around, and I've heard of misaligned compressor brackets causing belts to flake out, so perhaps I'm being a little paranoid. I just haven't heard of this particular problem. I was seeing if anyone here had any thoughts? Unfortunately it's always happened while I'm driving amongst traffic, so I haven't been able to responsibly take out my phone and record the noise.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,643 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,867 Posts
You have a model year that this TSB pertains to. You should take your car in and reference this TSB.
^This. Don't delay taking in your Q - the belt could shred/blow at any time now. The squeal is a warning.

·
Registered
2016 3.0t (non-RS) AWD
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
As others have said common issue for early model years of the 3.0T, i even after they replace the belt and perform the alignment it's not a bad idea to check on it once every month or so.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just to confirm what everyone thinks, this is indicative of a belt issue and not a turbo issue, correct? I have the same issue but mine is more at 3k rpm and quite repeatable. I bought used but have a warranty from the dealership. Taking it in next week but want to have an idea on the issue before I drop it off.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,643 Posts
Just to confirm what everyone thinks, this is indicative of a belt issue and not a turbo issue, correct? I have the same issue but mine is more at 3k rpm and quite repeatable. I bought used but have a warranty from the dealership. Taking it in next week but want to have an idea on the issue before I drop it off.
It probably is your serpentine belt slipping but as stated above, don't delay addressing the problem. If that belt shreds and separates while you're driving, it could damage your car's engine.

·
Registered
263 Posts
It probably is your serpentine belt slipping but as stated above, don't delay addressing the problem. If that belt shreds and separates while you're driving, it could damage your car's engine.
Second this. It is probably the belt. My belt started chirping at idle around 48k which is apparently good for a '16. Luckily my belt was just worn and alignment was fine.

When you bring it into the dealer have them check this TSB for alignment to prevent future problems.

If you do get a new belt, still keep an eye on the tensioner indicator every once in awhile because the belts may be inferior for the heat and tension they endure during operation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts