Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had the unfortunate/fortunate opportunity to press the SOS button earlier this evening. Driving home from my in-laws on the interstate, I hit a huge pot hole. The front right tire began losing air, so I slowly pulled to the right in the emergency lane. The Q50 handled perfectly and never even pulled to the side. The display above the steering wheel alerted me to the loss of air pressure and then switched to tell me the tire was flat. When traffic cleared, I got out to assess the situation. It didn't look completely flat so I drove on to the next exit (slowly and in the emergency lane with hazard lights flashing) since I felt this was safer with two of my kids in the car. While driving, I pressed the SOS button and was immediately connected to the Infiniti call center. The representative was very calm and helpful and conferenced in the Roadside Assistance rep. She sent him my exact location and my cell call back number. He was very polite and called to dispatch help. I shortly received a text message from him with the tow service name and phone number as well as an ETA. They sent a flat bed tow truck as I wasn't sure if I had a spare or run flats. The truck arrived within 15 minutes and I was back on the road after another 30 minutes. The tow truck driver was great as well. No problems on the final hour of my drive. I just wanted to say what a fantastic job everyone did while working together to take care of me and my family. And by the way, it's the coolest looking spare I've ever seen. Anyone had good/bad experience with SOS?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Sorry about your incident, but good to know how well SOS worked. And thanks for the report. As we are entering pothole season, we need to mooch rides from friends and neighbors, whenever possible.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Here is the flat tire...
Thanks for sharing. How well did the run flats hold up after you received notification that it was flat?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a rather different experience with my Roadside assistance call. I started the car and the power steering warning light came on and I was unable to turn the wheel, so I decided that I needed roadside assistance.

I connected through the car to the Infiniti connect representative. We were on hold with road side assistance for 3.5 hours. We finally gave up and I called another towing company which arrived in roughly 45 minutes. I am disappointed with roadside assistance not even answering their calls.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for sharing. How well did the run flats hold up after you received notification that it was flat?
The run flats handled like a champ. I drove for about 5 miles at 30 mph with no issues. When the tire blew, the car didn't pull at all. I was very impressed and wasn't even sure if the tire was flat.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I had a rather different experience with my Roadside assistance call. I started the car and the power steering warning light came on and I was unable to turn the wheel, so I decided that I needed roadside assistance.

I connected through the car to the Infiniti connect representative. We were on hold with road side assistance for 3.5 hours. We finally gave up and I called another towing company which arrived in roughly 45 minutes. I am disappointed with roadside assistance not even answering their calls.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts

Are you sure that your Infiniti Connection was set up properly?
most likely...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Because sometimes they don't even get set up if it's a late at night deal, which would explain why it took 3.5 hours. It shouldn't take more than about thirty seconds max.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Glad you had a good experience with dealing with the flat tire. I have to say I hate these run flats with a passion because they're so hard that the smallest hole could cause the tire to pop, especially in the cold weather. When mine went flat, it tore close to the rim and I didn't even hit anything. I can vouch for the fact that the car handled well with the flat and losing air and it updated me on the screen as well. But the tire itself gets me nervous when I'm driving anywhere. I'm definitely changing them out in the spring for better non run flats. Its not worth the hassle and money to replace the RFTs. That one tire cost me $540 for the tire, mounting and balancing, which was a complete ripoff.

·
Registered
19 Posts
wow, 540 dollars.. Good thing my dealer offered me a tire and wheel protection (600.00) for 4 years with no deductible. Run flats can't be fixed only replaced, So according to my dealer my wheels and tires are covered 100% for the 4 years..

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
wow, 540 dollars.. Good thing my dealer offered me a tire and wheel protection (600.00) for 4 years with no deductible. Run flats can't be fixed only replaced, So according to my dealer my wheels and tires are covered 100% for the 4 years..
This myth about run flats not being repairable has been going on for a long time. Run flats can be repaired if the puncture is in the tread area. The only permanent repair is by an internal patch (plugs are considered temporary, but they do work). An important caveat is that the tire loses its speed rating. I understand that any tire that receives any puncture repair loses its speed rating (this needs verification).

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
This myth about run flats not being repairable has been going on for a long time. Run flats can be repaired if the puncture is in the tread area. The only permanent repair is by an internal patch (plugs are considered temporary, but they do work). An important caveat is that the tire loses its speed rating. I understand that any tire that receives any puncture repair loses its speed rating (this needs verification).
I've heard/read the exact same thing. I've had one of my runflats plugged already and its been working fine without and issues. The tire that popped on me was a tire that had never been punctured. Like KLamalama stated, once its in the thread area, it can be repaired or fixed temporarily.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
I should have got this, but for me the hassle of having to deal with it possibly occurring more because of the run flats and their design is what bothers me. I'd rather spend the money and get more durable non fun flats, better handling out of them, road hazard warranty on those tires than to do it for the run flats. I hope Infiniti is offering a non run flat option for gas models with spare tire as an option in the next model year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What a waste of time! Literally! Driving on the freeway thought I saw a car related to an amber alert! Decided to take a shortcut and used that button to connect me to 911! Had to go through the usual formalities blah blah how are you doing etc if you pressed it by accident blah blah..after explaining the emergency I was put on hold for them to call 911 and wait wait wait... Then while 911 and Infiniti people were on the call I had to listen again them saying we don't know where exactly I am because I am in the freeway...FFS just let me tell them! Stop waiting valuable time! I know I am on CA85 just before Saratoga exit!
Also while on hold your Bluetooth is disabled, engaged with Infiniti connect SO you can't call from your phone while driving unless you stop, in which case you can't see if the car you follow took a turn. It does sound like A Jason Statham movie but there you go! Waste of time!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.