Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work 100% remote, I bought the car new, it's always garaged (hasn't seen rain in weeks), kept spotless inside and out, and I keep nothing in the cabin or in the trunk. I also use the rubber mats so the carpet ones under don't get damaged. Trying to figure out why there's a mildew smell in it.

Reactions: Batell

·
Registered
955 Posts
Easiest thing to check is floor mats.

Next, check cabin air filter behind glove box. If you have skinny hands, you can yank it without tools.

Then, check around the cowl area where the air fresh air intake is located. Sometimes mildew will collect there.

Then, check sunroof drain lines.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,595 Posts
I work 100% remote, I bought the car new, it's always garaged (hasn't seen rain in weeks), kept spotless inside and out, and I keep nothing in the cabin or in the trunk. I also use the rubber mats so the carpet ones under don't get damaged. Trying to figure out why there's a mildew smell in it.
Perhaps the A/C system has already grown some funk in your heating and cooling unit assembly. You can shoot some A/C system deodorizer into the evaporator where that odor typically comes from.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I will try all the specified remedies and report back.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,360 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I will try all the specified remedies and report back.
While you're at it, check for a build-up of organic debris at the HVAC air inlets at the bottom of the windshield (under the hood). A crazy amount of crap can accumulate there if you regularly park under trees at work (you said it is garaged at home).

Reactions: Kraken

·
Premium Member
Infiniti Q50 '17 Redsport, Dynamic Sunstone. Trunk Strong Arm struts. Red
220 Posts
Search "stagnant water smell" on this forum. This covers it quite well. Peel down the carpeting from the passenger side footwell, you will find the water drain from the AC system. Buy a can of AC condenser coil cleaner, empty half the can up through the water drain tube. Your car will smell brand new again.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Search "stagnant water smell" on this forum. This covers it quite well. Peel down the carpeting from the passenger side footwell, you will find the water drain from the AC system. Buy a can of AC condenser coil cleaner, empty half the can up through the water drain tube. Your car will smell brand new again.
Much appreciated👍

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,595 Posts
Much appreciated👍
There's a YouTube video showing how to do this on a G37 IIRC. The Q50 drain tube from the evaporator is in the same location.

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
910 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot guys. The car is on point, but the smell drives me nuts. It's a 2021 too. Weird for a new vehicle to have such an issue. Never happened on my 2 prior Q50's. 2015 Luxe and 2019 Sport. Ordered this

Liquid Product Bottle Fluid Plastic bottle

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,595 Posts
Thanks a lot guys. The car is on point, but the smell drives me nuts. It's a 2021 too. Weird for a new vehicle to have such an issue. Never happened on my 2 prior Q50's. 2015 Luxe and 2019 Sport. Ordered this

View attachment 110077
I hope that solves your odor problem and it isn't an old bologna sandwich under the seat.

• Haha

·
Registered
2018 White Q50RS RWD
168 Posts
One more thing I've had some success with...was a tip from Infiniti service advisor. He mentioned spraying the cleaner btw too.

Running the heat in the car at max fan + internal circulation off (bringing in external air) for a few minutes before turning the car off. It sucks in the summer but it has worked for me in solving the problem

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,360 Posts
One more thing I've had some success with...was a tip from Infiniti service advisor. He mentioned spraying the cleaner btw too.

Running the heat in the car at max fan + internal circulation off (bringing in external air) for a few minutes before turning the car off. It sucks in the summer but it has worked for me in solving the problem
And this makes me ask the question why does this car always default to "Recirculate" when I turn on the AC? I thought automotive HVAC systems only used recirculate if you asked for "Max AC" or if the ambient air sensor detected a temp over a certain value? I use the system in manual rather than auto mode as I hate the fan running at maximum speed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts