Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum here as I just bought a Q50S about a month ago. I love it so far even though I know there have been a lot of complaints on here. I got everything I wanted in the car with the exception of the spare tire package. I couldn't find a car that had everything so I decided to pull the trigger.

Has anyone looked into adding the spare tire package after taking delivery of their car? It looks like it already has a spot for the spare tire and jack. One of the main reasons is I would like to get rid of the RFTs eventually but would also like a spare tire.

If anyone has looked into this, how much would it cost?

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
It isn't an easy thing to add. But contact your salesperson and let them know what you're trying to do. There's a fair chance they'll sell a car with the spare tire kit and the customer doesn't want it. If so, they may sell you the parts out of that car. We had to order the styrofoam stuff for a client who wanted to do that.

The only problem is you won't have the mounting lug in the bottom of the car to screw the spare down. Also, there's a cross-brace between the rear wheels that comes in a car with the spare (I have no idea what it is for). That isn't in your car.

·
Registered
478 Posts
My parts manager looked into buying it through them, and it was over $1500 with all of the parts. I don't think that the spare is worth that, especially if you have roadside assistance in your vehicle. Unless someone gets rid of their spare like sincure said, I wouldn't even bother doing it. I may be able to get the cost sheet if anyone wants to see it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I did not want to hear that. I figured it would be $200 or so since that is the package cost if selected. A cost sheet would be fantastic if you would.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Also, there's a cross-brace between the rear wheels that comes in a car with the spare (I have no idea what it is for). That isn't in your car.
Yeah I'd like to know what that's for. I noticed it the day I had to put the spare on because my Run Flat ripped. Never thought I'd be doing that so quick.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ya, we actually tried to have one put on for a customer and we figured out the same thing. Let me check with my parts manager and I'll get that posted.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ok, here it is for anyone who wants it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Yeah I'd like to know what that's for. I noticed it the day I had to put the spare on because my Run Flat ripped. Never thought I'd be doing that so quick.
Yeah... I was thinking to remove the spare tire since there is RFT anyway and need space for luggages to airport but the bar still blocks it.
The current carpet won't accommodate the trunk without the spare tires.
Do we actually need that? Is there a way to remove the spare tire and have the carpet installed?

·
Registered
478 Posts
The carpet would definitely be a cheaper purchase than the tire would.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
We bought a set of the styrofoam inserts that fit if you don't have the spare for a client. I think we used the stock pad/carpet since it worked well enough. We did not remove the cross-brace, just because we didn't want any liability if we did it.

From the look of Matt's invoice above, if you can find a customer that doesn't want their spare and is willing to sell you theirs, that may be the best way to go. At worst then, you may have to buy the tie-down piece. If it were me, I would not bother with the cross-brace, although from the looks of it, it may serve to stiffen the chassis, FWIW.

Reactions: mattreading22

·
Registered
251 Posts
We bought a set of the styrofoam inserts that fit if you don't have the spare for a client. I think we used the stock pad/carpet since it worked well enough. We did not remove the cross-brace, just because we didn't want any liability if we did it.

From the look of Matt's invoice above, if you can find a customer that doesn't want their spare and is willing to sell you theirs, that may be the best way to go. At worst then, you may have to buy the tie-down piece. I me, I would not bother with the cross-brace, although from the looks of it, it may serve to stiffen the chassis, FWIW.
Did you say that not all models have the cross member? Can you find out exactly what it's for?

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
We don't know. We speculate that it is there to keep the spare from intruding into the cabin in a front-end collision. It isn't there if you don't have the spare tire, so that's why we've made that speculation. Haven't confirmed w/ anyone though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can anyone post a picture of the set up with the spare tire package (under the trunk mat)? I would like to compare with one that doesn't as there looks like might be a place for the spare even without the package installed.

Can someone post a pic of the spare tire? What is the size of the spare tire that comes with the package? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mine came with the spare tire package and it took up a significant amount of trunk space so I ditched it. Since I have the run flat tires I felt it was unnecessary... I hope.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.