Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeking to buy Q50 AWD Premium.

I have browsed thru past threads but unable to confer what is the general conclusion...

Is it worthwhile to get the spare tire package inspite of tires being RFT ?
Is the idea that all nearby service shops will not be able to fix the RTF after a RFT blows, then spare comes in handy ?

What is is the spare ? is it RTF too ? or just a conventional donut ? If the later, that too anyway cant get you too far.

Understood its only $200, but will take space, so whats the general recommendation worthwhile to take spare package or not ? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
How many flat tires have you had in the past ten years? Are you going to lease? Will you always have roadside assistance? Do you need the trunk space. All things to consider. We can't make your decision for you.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My Q50 came with the run flats and the spare tire option. What I noticed is the spare tire takes up a lot of room in the trunk, much more than I liked. I removed the spare tire with all the foam inserts and now have the trunk space I need. I'm trying to get the insert that comes with the non spare tire package, which is a much lower profile insert, but am having difficulty getting a part #. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
"Fear of Flats" is a newly discovered disease that was largely unknown before the discovery of the Run Flat microbe.

Let's go back a bit into tire/flat history:

Prehistoric - solid tires never went flat, but did develop flat spots.

Radial tires - the flexible sidewalls allowed for superior handling and ride comfort, as compared to prehistoric bias ply tires.

Pneumatic/tube - subject to sudden deflation/flats. Needed spare(s).

Pneumatic/tubeless - sudden flat syndrome largely fades into history. The use of portable DC air pumps largely bans "Fear of Flats", and tire changing (for Klamalama).

Run Flat Tires - The return of the stiff sidewall mostly negates all benefit of radial tires. Additionally, this microbe embeds "Fear of Flats" into the modern driver's brain.

Antidote: Have non run flats? Have TPMS? Good! Then keep a portable DC air pump in your trunk. This will take care of 99.99% of your tire concerns. The .01% to be avoided: severe potholes; drifting into curbs; off-roading into ditches; etc. If you had run flats in that .01% you would still be looking at tire replacement, at a much greater cost.

Dear Friends, please have no fear of the run flat microbes. Just ditch them at your first opportunity.

Reactions: druhoops and ikagan

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
LOve it, KLamalama! For me...
Years since last flat tire: 30
Level of RFT paranoia: fair
Current Rx: Conti Comfort Kit, AAA membership, Infiniti Connection, cell phone...
The Cure: Vossen wheels and very sticky, non-freaking-RFTs next summer.
To the OP: IMO, skip the spare.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It depends where you live as well. If you live in the hood which is almost all of Los Angeles County including Beverly Hills, you are in for some nasty potholes and a lot of crews dropping nails and screws on the road.

·
Registered
982 Posts
It depends where you live as well. If you live in the hood which is almost all of Los Angeles County including Beverly Hills, you are in for some nasty potholes and a lot of crews dropping nails and screws on the road.
I use to work for a tire shop. Every now and then when it's slow, we would throw nails on the hwy around our area.

It's good for business . :eek:

lol jk. I would never work at a tire shop.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Had RFT's on my BMW and was stuck over a holiday weekend waiting for a replacement. If I had a spare, I would have had wheels to get around a small town with one repair shop. With no spare, no car. In spite of the loss of trunk space, I will order the spare tire option. Since its usually just the wife and me, the back seat is still an option to carry "stuff".

·
Registered
151 Posts
Probably going to ditch the RFT tires on my Sport Hybrid as soon as they are need of replacement. Can't see spending twice as much or more for a new set of RFT when I can get some sweet non-RFT for far less.

I'll just buy a tire patch kit and portable pump and take my chances with that. I'm not sure the RFT will help more than those in any situation since you can't have a spare with a hybrid anyway.

*If* RFT were to drop in price significantly in 3 years or so when these are due for replacement, I might consider them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.