Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I noticed that the Sport comes with a significantly larger brake system than the Premium (Sport - Front 14in, Rear 13.8in vs. Premium - Front 12.6in, Rear 12.1in). What all would it take to upgrade the system to genuine Infiniti Q50 Sport brakes? Is it simply just the rotors or does the whole system need to be replaced? Does the ECU have to be reprogrammed if the swap is done?

I'm not familiar (or mechanically savvy) with brake systems and certainly not read up enough on Infiniti since I've only been in the club a week and a half! Just thought I'd ask the question...if it hasn't been asked already somewhere.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I did the bbk conversion on my premium. What you need:
-Akebono calipers with hardware if not included already (this can be used from any year/model infiniti with the sport brakes)
-Pads with hardware
-Rotors
-Shorter Banjo Bolts
-Uses oem lines, or you can get stainless steel lines (much better pedal feel)

This is assuming you don't buy a full kit will all the necessary items

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got it...thanks!

-Akebono calipers with hardware if not included already (this can be used from any year/model infiniti with the sport brakes)
-Pads with hardware
-Rotors
-Shorter Banjo Bolts

Reactions: a-Sarkar

·
Registered
153 Posts
This is my next upgrade too. Sorry to sound dumb, but what exactly falls under 'hardware' when speaking of sport brakes? Part numbers would be great..
Shim kit, but some pads come with them already. If not, part numbers below.

Carlson front hardware (13619)
Carlson rear hardware (13620)
Centric front caliper kits (143-42038)
Centric rear caliper kits (143-42039)

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have heard these brakes can cause premature warping. Have you had any issues with this? I know there are a thread or two about these already.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have heard these brakes can cause premature warping. Have you had any issues with this? I know there are a thread or two about these already.
I noticed it's more so on factory pad/rotors, I went with stoptech pads and rotors, no issues

Reactions: Nemesys

·
Registered
71 Posts
I noticed it's more so on factory pad/rotors, I went with stoptech pads and rotors, no issues
i'm actually going with aftermarket pads for this reason. just trying to figure out if the pad shape is the same between a sport package from 2014-2015 and the red sport 2017. all sites claim they don't make any pads yet, but i'm guessing the pad shape is the same and its just not updated yet

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
i'm actually going with aftermarket pads for this reason. just trying to figure out if the pad shape is the same between a sport package from 2014-2015 and the red sport 2017. all sites claim they don't make any pads yet, but i'm guessing the pad shape is the same and its just not updated yet

No guessing needed. They're the same pads. They're the same Akebono calipers. Just some are now red instead of silver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
FYI, just because I was second guessing myself, the brake pads for the red sport's are the same as all previous sport models that have the Akebono calipers, whether silver or red.

The part numbers for purposes of purchasing OEM pads OR to crossover to aftermarket application are:

D1060-JL00J, front pad set
D4060-JL00J, rear pad set

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Any one here with the Akebono calipers close to needing brake pads? If so, please send a PM to me. I just need one person and this is NO COST to them. I need some feedback on something and those details will be shared in the PM.

*EDIT* Found my tester.

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Silver Akebono's
41001-JL02A, right, front
41011-JL02A, left, front
44001-JL02A, right, rear
44011-JL02A, left, rear

Red Akebono's
41001-5CA0B, right, front
41011-5CA0B, left, front
44001-5CA0B, right, rear
44011-5CA0B, left, rear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
-Pads with hardware
-Rotors
-Shorter Banjo Bolts

Did you end up using the OEM lines? I'm really considering upgrading to the Akebono BBK for the nicer looks (and slightly for the better stopping power lol), but was wondering whether I needed the SS brake lines.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Did you end up using the OEM lines? I'm really considering upgrading to the Akebono BBK for the nicer looks (and slightly for the better stopping power lol), but was wondering whether I needed the SS brake lines.
I ended up getting SS lines since it was going to be off anyways (well worth imo, big increase in pedal feel) but the regular lines can be used

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've also heard about this problem with Infiniti Sport rotors warping . I can't help but wonder why Infiniti hasn't upgraded the quality of their rotors by now instead of paying all the labor they're putting out to resurface so many rotor problems. Maybe it's cheaper to just repair a problem rather then correct it.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Might be checkin these guys out I just sent an email to them and they said they rebuilt the internals of the calipers and the painted them, but they also saw non painted ones too if you wanna DIY

Same part number:
Silver Akebono's
41001-JL02A, right, front
41011-JL02A, left, front
44001-JL02A, right, rear
44011-JL02A, left, rear

Red Akebono's
41001-5CA0B, right, front
41011-5CA0B, left, front
44001-5CA0B, right, rear
44011-5CA0B, left, rear

Pretty good deal:

Akebono Infiniti Calipers G37 M37 Q50 Q60 FX QX Nissan 370Z Maxima Front Rear - RC Tuning

Akebono Infiniti Calipers G37 M37 Q50 Q60 FX QX Nissan 370Z Maxima Front Rear Raw Finish - RC Tuning

1 - 20 of 92 Posts