Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,690 Posts
The existing dust shields can be cut instead of buying new dust shields.

Reactions: saboxerman

·
Registered
2018 Q50 Sport RWD
6 Posts
Easiest route to go is a kit from Z1 or ConceptZ. There’s no calibration that’ll be needed.

The only extra thing you’d have to get from a dealer are the dust shields. I recommend those. They do serve a purpose. Don’t skimp when it comes to performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, looking into the kits you recommended. But if I went another route, what calibration are you talking about?

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,690 Posts
Thanks, looking into the kits you recommended. But if I went another route, what calibration are you talking about?
There's no calibration required to do a caliper/rotor change.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,690 Posts
That's what I was thinking, just checking. Usually calibration means computer lol. I picked up my car this past Monday so I'm still learning as much as possible. Thanks all!

Reactions: abq

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
There was a question about it last week -

Does anyone know if upgrading to Akebonos on 2017 Q50 AWD with driver assist package requires any additional work/calibration?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have read through this post, and many others, but for some reason I can’t find the answer to my question. When upgrading to the Akebono calipers, can you use the caliper brackets from the premium, or do you need to purchase them for the sport model?

·
Super Moderator
4,071 Posts
When upgrading to the Akebono calipers, can you use the caliper brackets from the premium, or do you need to purchase them for the sport model?
The Akebono calipers do not have separate caliper brackets - they have cast ears that are integrated with the caliper pressure vessel.

Here's a picture of the front hub without a caliper - the Akebono Caliper simply bolts to the ears on the steering knuckle.

·
Registered
2018 Q50S [RWD]
195 Posts
I upgraded my brakes to the Akebono BBK, and ended up cutting the dustshield as a temporary solution. I want to replace them later with the bigger distshields.

Can anyone walk me through the process of removing the dustshields? It lools like the wheel hub needs to be removed, is that so?

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
17,690 Posts
The wheel hub and bearing assembly needs to be removed to replace the splash guards.

Reactions: Geraldomi

·
Registered
Q50 3.0TT, Signature
34 Posts
I did the bbk conversion on my premium. What you need:
-Akebono calipers with hardware if not included already (this can be used from any year/model infiniti with the sport brakes)
-Pads with hardware
-Rotors
-Shorter Banjo Bolts
-Uses oem lines, or you can get stainless steel lines (much better pedal feel)

This is assuming you don't buy a full kit will all the necessary items

Nicely done!

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,908 Posts
I upgraded my brakes to the Akebono BBK, and ended up cutting the dustshield as a temporary solution. I want to replace them later with the bigger distshields.

Can anyone walk me through the process of removing the dustshields? It lools like the wheel hub needs to be removed, is that so?
Any pics of modified dust shield?

Reactions: Geraldomi

·
Registered
2018 Q50S [RWD]
195 Posts
Before
Before

After. Different sides, sorry didn't have one from the same side, but it's basically the same.

You see the lip on the first picture? Just cut it away with a grinder, you could use a dremel but you will eat the cutting disc away too quick. I used some black paint to protect it from rust.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,908 Posts
Before

Before

View attachment 98186

After. Different sides, sorry didn't have one from the same side, but it's basically the same. View attachment 98187

You see the lip on the first picture? Just cut it away with a grinder, you could use a dremel but you will eat the cutting disc away too quick. I used some black paint to protect it from rust.
Thanks for pics.

So it seems the only interference is the “lip” that stick in then? So can you not just bend it out flat? Maybe cut a few slits to help flatten it easier. Could probably weld or Jb weld the slits to seal it once flattened.

·
Registered
2018 Q50S [RWD]
195 Posts
Thanks for pics.

So it seems the only interference is the “lip” that stick in then? So can you not just bend it out flat? Maybe cut a few slits to help flatten it easier. Could probably weld or Jb weld the slits to seal it once flattened.
You could do that. I've seen a couple people do it on YouTube. In order of preference for me at least

Replace it with the right part # > Cut the lip > Bend and cut with metal scisors.

·
Registered
2018 Q50S [RWD]
195 Posts
@17awdQ50P also notice the angle on the top part of the dustshield has to be cut. The Akebono BBK caliper shape would interfere with the dustshield there.

Reactions: 17awdQ50P

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,908 Posts
you menttion shorter banjo bolts linky please i have all the rest ready
You piece together yourself or buy kit?

·
Registered
2018 Q50S [RWD]
195 Posts
61 - 80 of 92 Posts