Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
The mesh on the grille of the appearance package is black tbats why instead of buying one and havingnone installed, I opted to have mine painted! Only cost me $100! :D

Whos car is that simpsontide? Yours? Love the 2nd shot!

Edit: nvm, i just saw ny! :eek:

·
Registered
252 Posts
The only difference in the grille with the non-Appearance package is that the grille mesh is chrome instead of satin black
Correction: The grill mesh is not chrome, but painted grey (same grey as the spokes on the Q50 Sport's wheels).

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Yeah I don't know how/why Infiniti got away with valuing that black grill at $470. That seems really steep..
Compared to???

Maybe compared to the "cheap" Theater package option in the QX80? $3100 or something like that. Really Infiniti? Three grand for two monitors and a 110 outlet/inverter? Three grand would buy a lot of iPads and movie downloads.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Compared to???

Maybe compared to the "cheap" Theater package option in the QX80? $3100 or something like that. Really Infiniti? Three grand for two monitors and a 110 outlet/inverter? Three grand would buy a lot of iPads and movie downloads.
Theater packages in general have always been pricey. They also aren't something that are common DIY tasks or something that can be done effectively on the cheap.

A grille paint job seems like, even done by a professional, I wouldn't perceive to be at a value more than $250 or so. I can't assume to think of the processes and materials Infiniti uses in their black grilles or how it affects their production. It's not a very common option within this segment so there isn't much of a direct comparison to make.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
thanks man! i was having trouble seeing the difference...i like it either way and don't think it is worth the 1000 bucks for it.
Well, it's not $1000 for the grill, it's a $470 value put on by the Appearance Package, which totals for $860.

If you're rounding that $860 and then adding another $100, then I guess you're ok with taking out an extra $100 out of your paycheck every month cuz it's the same thing, right? :p

Sure, the appearance package also includes $390 in the form of a rear spoiler.

To be honest, I wasn't actively looking for the appearance package on my Q50s, but for a MSRP of $860 (Remember with VPP/invoice it'll come out much cheaper), I'm glad that I have it. It adds a little bit more extra personality to the car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
theater package

about the theater package...we got it in the jx35 when we bought that in december 2012...and i found one that basically had the same thing but no outlet..not big deal but it was only slightly cheaper and you had to run wires under the floor board and all that...it was too much...when i told the guy how much they were marking it down for, he was like dude just get it done..not worth the hassle.

Compared to???

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
those who had it painted on their own what kind of place did you go to ?
Have a trusted body shop in carson that did the paint work on chubbylita!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was thinking about getting myself the black girlle mesh until I saw two Q50s standing next to each other. One with standard grille mesh, the other one with black. I could barely see the difference from 2-3m distance. Typical person would not see it, it is definitely not worth $470. That's why I gave up on this and ordered the rear spoiler only.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
It's kind of to bad you have to take the bumper off to change the grill.
I'm sure there would be some cheaper aftermarket grills, but the install doesn't seem to user friendly.

I have the blacked out grill.
Mainly because I got moonlight white for the car color.
It matches the rest of the trim in the front better with the blacked out grill, and it gives a bit more of a shine than the stock grill.

Not a great pick, but this is it on my moonlight white Q50.

[EDIT]
This is a stock grill.
This is not a hybrid so the bottom grill is also different than my Q50 since I have the Hybrid.
But hopefully you can see the difference between the hybrid with a blacked out grill vs a 3.7L with stock grills.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I was thinking about getting myself the black girlle mesh until I saw two Q50s standing next to each other. One with standard grille mesh, the other one with black. I could barely see the difference from 2-3m distance. Typical person would not see it, it is definitely not worth $470. That's why I gave up on this and ordered the rear spoiler only.
But it's not about the typical person. It's about you.

I mean today, the typical person wouldn't know what an Infiniti Q50 was anyway... :eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.