Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure the dealer will sort it, but I was wondering if anyone else has seen this problem ... I took my car in for my 5k maintenance schedule this weekend and finally got the inTouch system updated. It turns out that there was a DAS update that came down the pipeline just the day before and they took care of that, too.

I picked up the car today after having to leave it over the weekend (car needed 5-6 hours for firmware updates ... the world we live in today!). I never had any issues with steering .. now I do. Will have to make a trip back to the dealer sometime this week or next, depending on when they can get loaners in stock again.

The pull is slight, but definitely there ... it's annoying having to compensate for it constantly. Anyone else see this issue? I was hoping to not see any new bugs with the latest firmware updates ... which is why I avoided them in the first place, lol... was hoping to hold out until apps were finally introduced with inTouch!

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone said there is a way to reset the center alignment.
Something like crank it all the way to the left and then all the way to the right.
Hopefully someone who knows how can comment.
I thought I read something like that, too. I asked the service rep and he said he was going to speak to the foreman and get back to me. I'll test that out when I get back in my car later today, too.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the steering pulling to the right currently. It's not that big but a minute 2-4 degrees misaligned.
I tried the reset but no go. I'm thinking about taking it to the dealer on my 5k service.

·
Registered
478 Posts
One of our techs reset the steering for a Q50 and what you do is crank it to the right and hold it for about fifteen seconds and crank it to the left and do the same thing. Do this a few times and it should reset the das.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Nadir, I just gave the service adviser a bunch of guff for not knowing this.

I can't seem to find my original post on the fix, but here goes:

1.Stop the car on a non-busy, straight road.
2.Turn the ignition OFF and then ON (start the engine / ready to drive mode).
3. While stopped:
a. Place the steering wheel in the straight ahead position (center position).
b. Turn the steering wheel left, about 90 degrees from center.
c. Turn the steering wheel right, about 90 degrees from center.
d. Repeat b and c one time.
4. Safely drive the vehicle onto the road and then drive using one of the following driving patterns:
Steering wheel angle (off-center) is more than 6 degree with vehicle traveling straight.
• In a straight line (hold the steering wheel so the vehicle stays in a straight line).
• On a smooth, straight, flat road.
• Speed of 20 mph or more (recommend staying below 40 mph).
• For a least 5 seconds.
Steering wheel angle (off-center) is less than 6 degree with vehicle traveling straight.
• In a straight line (hold the steering wheel so the vehicle stays in a straight line).
• Speed of 40 mph or more (recommend staying below 50 mph).
• For a least 5 seconds.
? The DAST will automatically correct the off-center condition.
? During the above drive, the steering will gently and very slowly move to a center position while driving straight.
• Make sure to operate the vehicle safely.
• Using a smooth, straight, flat road with very light or no traffic is recommended.
• Bumps, pot holes, or other steering input may affect the calibration, which will require a repeat of steps 1-4.
• Traffic conditions that require steering input may affect the calibration, which will require a repeat of steps 1-4.
5.Recheck: If the vehicle still pulls to one side with a relaxed grip on the steering wheel for a short period of time while driving straight, repeat steps 4.

Short version: Stop on a non-busy straight road with steering wheel in neutral (straight) position. Turn car off, then back on. Turn steering wheel left 90 degrees, then right 90 degrees. Repeat the 90/90 thing. Put in drive and accelerate slowly to ~45mph and hold 45 for a few seconds. Steering should have reset itself.

Sorry you had this problem. I suspect it is a byproduct of us doing the DAST update on your car. Yours happened to be the first one of those we've done. Mine will be the next one. If the same thing happens to mine, I'll be sure to notify our service people and try to remember to update this thread.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

3. While stopped:
4. Safely drive the vehicle onto the road and then drive using one of the following driving patterns:
Steering wheel angle (off-center) is more than 6 degree with vehicle traveling straight.
• For a least 5 seconds.
Steering wheel angle (off-center) is less than 6 degree with vehicle traveling straight.
• For a least 5 seconds.
�� The DAST will automatically correct the off-center condition.
�� During the above drive, the steering will gently and very slowly move to a center position while driving straight.
• Using a smooth, straight, flat road with very light or no traffic is recommended.
• Bumps, pot holes, or other steering input may affect the calibration, which will require a repeat of steps 1-4.
• Traffic conditions that require steering input may affect the calibration, which will require a repeat of steps 1-4.
5.Recheck: If the vehicle still pulls to one side with a relaxed grip on the steering wheel for a short period of time while driving straight, repeat steps 4.

Short version: Stop on a non-busy straight road with steering wheel in neutral (straight) position. Turn car off, then back on. Turn steering wheel left 90 degrees, then right 90 degrees. Repeat the 90/90 thing. Put in drive and accelerate slowly to ~45mph and hold 45 for a few seconds. Steering should have reset itself.

Sorry you had this problem. I suspect it is a byproduct of us doing the DAST update on your car. Yours happened to be the first one of those we've done. Mine will be the next one. If the same thing happens to mine, I'll be sure to notify our service people and try to remember to update this thread.
Thanks for the details, Randy.

I noticed your instructions are slightly different from the scan that another user had posted here .

Do I accelerate to up to ~45mph/under 50mph or up to ~20mph/under 40mph? I guess I can try both.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
When I've done it, I've just accelerated to 45 and it fixed it. I think there's some leeway.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I actually haven't had a chance to do it yet ... but the car seems to have automagically calibrated itself - at least to the point I don't notice it anymore. I'll still do the calibration to fine tune it, but just wanted to report back that it seems to reset itself at some point. I probably put at least 30-40 miles on it since.

·
Registered
140 Posts
question...

3. While stopped:
• For a least 5 seconds.
• For a least 5 seconds.
The DAST will automatically correct the off-center condition.
During the above drive, the steering will gently and very slowly move to a center position while driving straight.

When doing the 90 degrees left and then right, do you stop at center before going the other direction or just keep going past center when going to the right 90 degrees? Do you put the wheel back at center before doing the second set of 90 degree moves or just keep moving to the left 90 and then back to the right 90 degrees, ending at center after the last two swings?

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Nadir, that sounds about par for the course. DAS does have some cool points, and one is that it can seemingly sort out issues like that in cases where you get a flat tire or other stuff.

Kosh, I think I stopped at center each time when I tried it, but I doubt it matters.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Interesting... a colleague of mine had a similar occurrence that was caught and corrected before the car was cleared to go. But I can see if the car is not road tested (not just a spin around the block but longer at higher speeds) there is a chance a few might escape with the wheel being off center, despite the technician following every step in the procedure.

I do like that the OPs car fixed itself, that is encouraging, knowing most of the capabilities of this system I am not surprised that it did this I just do not know how long it might take.

I would expect Infiniti to update their service procedure pointing this out soon.

To all the owners who are getting this done soon. Please do not be afraid to get the update, maybe casually mention this thread to the person writing you up but this does not seem like cause for panic just yet. :)

·
Registered
982 Posts
Infiniti doesn't care if the steering wheels are off centered. As long as the car drives straight, they deem it good to go.

I had my G35 coupe aligned at the dealership. When I got it back, the steering whel was off by about 2 degrees and at highspeed, the steering wheel would shake a little.

One of the many examples of where I would have been better off leaving the car alone and not let these clowns touch it.

Keep in mind that my G never had an alignment in 2 years. Yet the car drove straight, steering wheel wss dead center and zero vibration on the steering wheel at high speed.

the moment OC Infiniti did an alignment, it threw everything off.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Infiniti doesn't care if the steering wheels are off centered. As long as the car drives straight, they deem it good to go.

I had my G35 coupe aligned at the dealership. When I got it back, the steering whel was off by about 2 degrees and at highspeed, the steering wheel would shake a little.

One of the many examples of where I would have been better off leaving the car alone and not let these clowns touch it.

Keep in mind that my G never had an alignment in 2 years. Yet the car drove straight, steering wheel wss dead center and zero vibration on the steering wheel at high speed.

the moment OC Infiniti did an alignment, it threw everything off.

Yeah not so much.
Infiniti just did TSB 13-046 for DAS (And we ALL know your opinion on DAS) on my car and the wheel is off center to the left about 5 degrees. They are doing TSB 14-006 tomorrow and will correct it. My dealer has been awesome through out this and with the amount of highway miles I put on this car I cant imagine this car w/o DAS

·
Registered
982 Posts
Yeah not so much.
Infiniti just did TSB 13-046 for DAS (And we ALL know your opinion on DAS) on my car and the wheel is off center to the left about 5 degrees. They are doing TSB 14-006 tomorrow and will correct it. My dealer has been awesome through out this and with the amount of highway miles I put on this car I cant imagine this car w/o DAS
Several people have indicated on here and G35driver that their steering wheel were a few degrees off when they got their car back including you lol.

So they obviously don't care if its off. Maybe they let the car go hoping we don't notice it.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Several people have indicated on here and G35driver that their steering wheel were a few degrees off when they got their car back including you lol.

So they obviously don't care if its off. Maybe they let the car go hoping we don't notice it.
Re-read his post VBX.

He said they will fix it tomorrow as his car has to go back for TSB 14-006. ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.