Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport AWD
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this is a somewhat controversial topic but I have decided to stick with run flat tires for my Q50. (I have relatives in other cities and wouldn’t want to be stuck on the road with a trunk full of luggage)

I have done quite a bit of research and recently got the recommendation below as a good value buy (note I have winter tires on another set of wheels).

Is it a good run flat choice? Would someone have experience with those?
(I would really like to have something better than the Dunlop :))

Bridgestone
DRIVEGUARD
TireRack link

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
5,608 Posts
Have you looked at reviews on Tire Rack yet?

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
5,608 Posts
Yes, of course. Did you see something I missed?

View attachment 103406
No, I was just wondering if you were aware of the reviews on Tire Rack. After being here for a few years I have come to the conclusion that most members have moved on from run flats to conventional tires, so I doubt you will get much feedback here for run flats. When I bought winter tires, I did go with run flats, Pirellis, but in an 18 inch rather than a 19 inch application. I have no regrets about my purchase. My OEM Dunlop run flats have a total of probably less than 8000 miles on them and I plan on using them up rather than throwing them away. I have yet to make a decision on what I am replacing them with.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I know this is a somewhat controversial topic but I have decided to stick with run flat tires for my Q50. (I have relatives in other cities and wouldn’t want to be stuck on the road with a trunk full of luggage)

I have done quite a bit of research and recently got the recommendation below as a good value buy (note I have winter tires on another set of wheels).

Bridgestone
DRIVEGUARD
TireRack link
One year of AAA Plus costs $91/yr.

you get 4 tows per year up to 100 miles from pick up site to anywhere you desire.
you get FREE fuel to reach a nearby gas station
$100 towards locksmith if you lock your keys in the car
roadside battery jump, test, and they'll replace it on the spot if you're willing to pay for their battery
and of course, if you have a flat and have a spare, they'll change it for you or tow as above.

an identical size bridgestone potenza RE980AS+ costs $176/tire. This tire is highly regarded at Rennlist (porsche forums). there's a 22 page post there with dozens of similar threads. the "+" is the newest version of the tire, released this year i believe.

you'd save $175.08 before taxes between the runflats and those tires. you could use the savings to purchase two full years of AAA coverage which compliments the 2 years of tire road hazard offered for free by tire rack (their service only covers 25 miles of towing for flat tires ONLY). this way, you get a better tire in all ways and someone else handles all the issues that may or may not happen.

alternatively, you could go with a continental DWS06+. theyre $155.99/tire and would be a $248.08 difference compared to the runflats. you could just about have 3 years of AAA coverage and still break even compared to the runflats.

cannot confirm, but i believe the roadside assistance offered in the hazard protection is reimbursement first. its handled by nation safe drivers insurance company. i have no experience with them. AAA however, ive had for 24 years. ive never once had a problem with them with anything, from a simple flat in town to once when it was literally 2AM in a tornado warning interstate where i was stuck under an overpass because i ran out of fuel. the fuel gauge lied to me and said i had 1/8th tank left, lol. guy delivered fuel to me less than 30 minutes after i called, 5 gallons of my choice, free of charge. no hassle, no paperwork to file.

just something to ponder.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Those are good / reliable tires according to a friend of mine. But he's driving a honda suv, not sure if you'd count it.

Most of my RFT experiences are with Summer tires, but you appear to be from Canada so all-season is what you'd want.

Reactions: SdeGat

·
Registered
2014 3.7, 14 Hybrid S, 17 Silver sport, 17 Red Sport, now 18 Signature.
2,287 Posts
Here it's CAA, if it wasn't for the noise, and that the dealership wouldn't replace them with 4/32 left, I would still have them, but we still need winters here.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Bridgestone
DRIVEGUARD
TireRack link

I've been running them on my RS since the summer (Dunlop's blew out). So far, so good on the Driveguards. Got it on promotion at Costco. Definitely feel better than the Dunlops (but they were kind of worn out). I drove the through a crazy torrential downpour/tropical rainstorm (legit flooding) and it did great

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
One year of AAA Plus costs $91/yr.

you get 4 tows per year up to 100 miles from pick up site to anywhere you desire.
you get FREE fuel to reach a nearby gas station
$100 towards locksmith if you lock your keys in the car
roadside battery jump, test, and they'll replace it on the spot if you're willing to pay for their battery
and of course, if you have a flat and have a spare, they'll change it for you or tow as above.
Late to the party on this once but a reminder that us Canadians get pretty insane weather, its not unusual
for towing services to be delayed by 2-3 days if you breakdown and there is some type of storm going.

For a sample here is a headlines from a few years back for my city, we usually have major crashes like
this once every year or so and that's just one major roadway over the course of a few hours not total
accidents in the city.

So yeah waiting for a tow when its -30C outside and the tow truck may not be there for a few days
isn't an option if you get a flat tire. Hah

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport AWD
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
(…)
So yeah waiting for a tow when its -30C outside and the tow truck may not be there for a few days
isn't an option if you get a flat tire. Hah
Good point @BigHeadClan :)
I have to admit that I “gave up” and ordered a set of CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS06 PLUS.
Maybe I’ll buy an emergency tire repair kit to go along…

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Good point @BigHeadClan :)
I have to admit that I “gave up” and ordered a set of CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS06 PLUS.
Maybe I’ll buy an emergency tire repair kit to go along…
Hah yep its easy to forget sometimes.

Honestly the DWS06+ are great tires you probably won't have any issues with them but a tire repair kit isn't a bad idea
and cheap insurance. Alternatively a few forum members have a DIY on how to install a spare tire and some dealers offer
to do it as an option.

@mapleDom - Actually added a full sized spare to his Q50 if I'm not mistaken.

DIY Thread - How To: Add Spare Tire Kit to a 2017 Q50

·
Registered
5,959 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport AWD
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Hah its just annoying to replace when you loose a tire if you use the stuff, not the end of the world if you want an extra go
for it but the odds of getting a bad tire are pretty slim.

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport AWD
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have to say that, unlike others here, I’ve had a few flats over the years. Nails/screws and one blade (utility knife?). :confused: Your solution should do the trick though (with a compressor).

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Ooof rough, I drive through the industrial sector every morning too and have thus far been spared any flats for the past 10 years (knock on wood).

·
Registered
2014 3.7, 14 Hybrid S, 17 Silver sport, 17 Red Sport, now 18 Signature.
2,287 Posts
I have to say that, unlike others here, I’ve had a few flats over the years. Nails/screws and one blade (utility knife?). :confused: Your solution should do the trick though (with a compressor).
Here you go buddy, you loose four inches, I've used it once already. $100.00.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts