Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Q50 colleagues.

I just installed a Stillen cat-back exhaust. Now I have a new Q50 Red Sport that sounds like a sports car. In standard mode, at city or highway cruising speed, I can just sort of hear it while cruising without much of a load. Under mild load, it has a nice muted sound but it is getting louder and when you really get on it, it sounds really really good (sound is subjective).

In sport or sport +, ****, It sounds more aggressive. Not night and day but a quick switch from standard to sport and back, and there is a very noticeable sound gets louder and you can feel more engine/exhaust vibration. There is a bit of drone in sport at 100 km/h so I don’t drive at that speed..... if you put it in manual shift, you can play with the revs around town to your liking.

I have had lots of turbo cars from Jetta to BMW 1, 3 and 4 series. There has always been some sort of unexpected happy surprise. The Q50 seems to rev up a little quicker and it also feels smoother. There is a bit of a lag up to about 2300-2400 which was there pre Stillen. I am still getting the hang of the throttle and torque behaviours as my bimmers torque come on hard at 1600 rpm.

I am really happy with the Stillen. I only have 1000 km on the new exhaust so the tone will change a bit over the next 20k.

Now, how do I sell my take off exhaust. It has 2000 km on it.....

Reactions: gipsonke

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,985 Posts
Greetings Q50 colleagues.

I just installed a Stillen cat-back exhaust. Now I have a new Q50 Red Sport that sounds like a sports car. In standard mode, at city or highway cruising speed, I can just sort of hear it while cruising without much of a load. Under mild load, it has a nice muted sound but it is getting louder and when you really get on it, it sounds really really good (sound is subjective).

In sport or sport +, ****, It sounds more aggressive. Not night and day but a quick switch from standard to sport and back, and there is a very noticeable sound gets louder and you can feel more engine/exhaust vibration. There is a bit of drone in sport at 100 km/h so I don’t drive at that speed..... if you put it in manual shift, you can play with the revs around town to your liking.

I have had lots of turbo cars from Jetta to BMW 1, 3 and 4 series. There has always been some sort of unexpected happy surprise. The Q50 seems to rev up a little quicker and it also feels smoother. There is a bit of a lag up to about 2300-2400 which was there pre Stillen. I am still getting the hang of the throttle and torque behaviours as my bimmers torque come on hard at 1600 rpm.

I am really happy with the Stillen. I only have 1000 km on the new exhaust so the tone will change a bit over the next 20k.

Now, how do I sell my take off exhaust. It has 2000 km on it.....
Do you have the Bose audio system in your car? If so, you might try turning off ASE (Active Sound Enhancement) in the Diagnostic Menu to see if that helps with the drone. ASE is accentuated in Sport modes.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,136 Posts
Add LDP'S and wake that baby up! The OEM secondary cats are 1.5" and most LDP'S are 2.5". Will give you a noticable pump in power and better MPG!

I too have noticed a sound difference between normal and Sport/Sport+ modes. Even at the same RPM and in the same gear. I have a dB meter and it validates the difference. I belive the timing is different and maybe other parameters besides the level of VDC involvement.

Glad you are enjoying your Q!

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,985 Posts
Add LDP'S and wake that baby up! The OEM secondary cats are 1.5" and most LDP'S are 2.5". Will give you a noticable pump in power and better MPG!

I too have noticed a sound difference between normal and Sport/Sport+ modes. Even at the same RPM and in the same gear. I have a dB meter and it validates the difference. I belive the timing is different and maybe other parameters besides the level of VDC involvement.

Glad you are enjoying your Q!
So do you have ASE enabled or disabled?

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,136 Posts
ASE is off! Cancellation is on.

Reactions: gipsonke

·
Registered
92 Posts
ASE is off! Cancellation is on.

I also turned ASE OFF, and also turned the noise cancellation back ON after being a little over zealous and turning it too OFF.

The noise cancellation feature does a lot to cancel out tire noise. I have NITTO NT555 G2 tires...and, while the road noise isn't terrible, you definitely notice the difference with the noise cancellation setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,136 Posts
I left mine on to also help with tire noise. Lighter rims cause more vibration/noise to get transmitted to the cabin. It was the first thing I noticed after going Z1 two piece brake rotors and forged rims. BIG difference.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
3,837 Posts
My Stillen CB is still sitting in the box, under my pool table, in the living room. :hide:

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,985 Posts
FI CBE installed! Really happy with the sound and the service tech really liked me providing the FI installation instructions. He wanted to be there when I started it up to see my reaction. He got the tip alignment and reveal perfect. Idle is 100% better than stock. ASE needs to be turned off but no drone in the usual rpm range that drone typically presents itself. Butt dyno tells me there is a noticeable improvement in response over the stock exhaust.

Glad I bought it! robrizok gave me a great deal on it too!

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,136 Posts
Lol... lets start a pool..

How long will it take Avedis53 to install LDPs to realize the potential of his FI exhaust system? His knowing he has a 1.5" restriction b4 his CBE is in the back of his mind, soooo.
<1 month
<2 months but more than a month
>3 months

I'm glad you like it. (I knew you would) It's Jewelry and the price was right!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Lol... lets start a pool..

How long will it take Avedis53 to install LDPs to realize the potential of his FI exhaust system? His knowing he has a 1.5" restriction b4 his CBE is in the back of his mind, soooo.
<1 month
<2 months but more than a month
>3 months

I'm glad you like it. (I knew you would) It's Jewelry and the price was right!
John the instigator... LOL ?

·
Registered
2018 Jaguar XE, had 2017 Red Sport 400, 17 Silver Sport, 14 Hybrid and 14 Base 3.7.
1,599 Posts
I would say under a month.?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Agreed, he's already saved 15% on Geico, I mean, with his purchase of a "lightly used" FI CBE, so I'm sure he's got some left in the kitty to buy the FI LDPs ;)

·
Registered
2018 Jaguar XE, had 2017 Red Sport 400, 17 Silver Sport, 14 Hybrid and 14 Base 3.7.
1,599 Posts
Agreed, he's already saved 15% on Geico, I mean, with his purchase of a "lightly used" FI CBE, so I'm sure he's got some left in the kitty to buy the FI LDPs /forum/images/InfinitiQ50_org/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
2 1/2, I don't think he will go to 3".LOL.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,985 Posts
Whoever wants to win this...show me the money!

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,136 Posts
Ok, I'm in.
$20 via USPS (I have your address unless you changed it) if you install LDP's in <1 month and post a "report" on this forum. ?. Grammer & spelling are not reasons for non pmt., as long as it's truthful, honest, and understandable.

I'd be interested in reading the differences and observations like MPG, power delivery etc.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,985 Posts
Ok, I'm in.
$20 via USPS (I have your address unless you changed it) if you install LDP's in <1 month and post a "report" on this forum. ?. Grammer & spelling are not reasons for non pmt., as long as it's truthful, honest, and understandable.

I'd be interested in reading the differences and observations like MPG, power delivery etc.
FI is currently looking at about 2 weeks for fabricating a LDP if ordered today, then add shipping time. That doesn't give me much time to install. You may want to reconsider your estimate.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Get the Megan, you will get then in two- three days.?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
3,837 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts