Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

Would you like STILLEN to make an Axle-Back Exhaust for the Q50

• I would definitely buy that!

Votes: 28 62.2%
  • I might be interested...

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • No, the Cat-Back is better.

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Just sell me the tips so it looks like I have an exhaust!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone!

I have gotten a few requests and inquires for a STILLEN Axle-Back Exhaust System. This POLL is to gauge interest and see if we will make/release one. Tell anyone else who might be interested to come and vote! Thanks! :D

Below are pictures of the STILLEN Q50 Cat-Back Exhaust so you can see how the axle back would most likely look.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Would there be any downsides to going axle back?

Also would that be a cheaper option?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
axle back typically doesnt have as much performance gains as catbacks.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
axle back typically doesnt have as much performance gains as catbacks.
Yea, was just really not that into exhaust but kinda read up a bit!

So far, if it sounds as good or even better than the catback system, with a significantly cheaper price and no any sort of performance loss over stock then I am in! :D

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yea, was just really not that into exhaust but kinda read up a bit!

So far, if it sounds as good or even better than the catback system, with a significantly cheaper price and no any sort of performance loss over stock then I am in! :D
i dont think it would possibly be better then the catback system as i think the piping size on the stillen catback is bigger then stock so = more flow. but i dont see how there would be a power loss. any idea how much you guys would be selling them for stillen? because that plays a huge factor when it comes to choosing between the catback and the axle back.

Reactions: Team_STILLEN

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
i dont think it would possibly be better then the catback system as i think the piping size on the stillen catback is bigger then stock so = more flow. but i dont see how there would be a power loss. any idea how much you guys would be selling them for stillen? because that plays a huge factor when it comes to choosing between the catback and the axle back.
Oh nah! Definitely man! Since all the piping between the cat and the muffler is omitted(still using stock pipes) in the axle back right?

Just want to make sure that there is no power loss over stock exhaust but hopefully have the same or maybe even a sweeter exhaust note! :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
From my understanding... When modding engine parts like exhaust if you don't have enough air flow in to the engine you basically not gaining but loosing HP. So if you are getting an exhaust you def need upgrade your intake to go with it to maximize..

The max HP can gain from each mod is 5-10 HPs.. Mark you have more accurate statistics?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The max HP can gain from each mod is 5-10 HPs.. Mark you have more accurate statistics?[/QUOTE]

yeah did you guys get a chance to throw it on the dyno yet?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I know that the best gains will come from the cat back and depending on the price point I would most likely vote for the cat back.

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, I should have logged in from home last night lol.

Would there be any downsides to going axle back?

Also would that be a cheaper option?
The downsides of going axle-back are generally:
a) Not as much power (Correct @Vancity808)
b) Slightly quieter exhaust note (subjective downside)
c) Less bragging rights and knowing you only have an axle-back ;)
d) Sound may not be the same as a cat-back system

The upsides of going axle-back are generally:
a) Less expensive than a full cat-back system
b) Slightly quieter exhaust note (subjective upside)
c) Easier to install

From my understanding... When modding engine parts like exhaust if you don't have enough air flow in to the engine you basically not gaining but loosing HP. So if you are getting an exhaust you def need upgrade your intake to go with it to maximize..

The max HP can gain from each mod is 5-10 HPs.. Mark you have more accurate statistics?
This can be generically true with some cars but does not apply to the VQ37. We had made upwards of 18 rwhp on the 370Z with the stock intake on our cat-back exhaust. Now we have not seen those kinds of numbers on the Q50 for a few reasons we believe. Instead of reworking the motor to make more HP, Infiniti/Nissan just tweaked the intake and exhaust system (like what they did with the Nismo models) to get more power. So any power gains that we have gotten from the VQ's in the 370Z and G37 have lessened. I don't have any official dyno numbers, but I know they weren't as good as the gains on the G37.

We would not anticipate any power losses with an axle-back. However we would not expect to see much of any gains. It would be almost purely a style and sound piece.

any idea how much you guys would be selling them for stillen? because that plays a huge factor when it comes to choosing between the catback and the axle back.
I cannot comment on pricing at this time (would need to discuss with production and R&D). All I can say is it would be less expensive than the cat-back system if we went ahead with it. Do not expect it to be half the price of the cat-back or anything crazy like that though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm interested because I've experienced the axel back alone and the full cat back on my G37 (just traded the G37S In yesterday for the Q50S). I had the Tanabe axel back for about a year and although the power increase may have been minimal to zero, it was a perfect sound. Quiet inside the cabin, no drone, and then roared like a pissed off liger under full throttle. I got addicted and then went to the full cat back. The volume went way up as you would expect which was cool but there was too much noise in the cabin.

Reactions: ktsg21

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm interested because I've experienced the axel back alone and the full cat back on my G37 (just traded the G37S In yesterday for the Q50S). I had the Tanabe axel back for about a year and although the power increase may have been minimal to zero, it was a perfect sound. Quiet inside the cabin, no drone, and then roared like a pissed off liger under full throttle. I got addicted and then went to the full cat back. The volume went way up as you would expect which was cool but there was too much noise in the cabin.

Totally agreed. Rather go elegant than noise.. :D

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The STILLEN Cat-Back is actually really quite. If too high of sound levels is a concern, the interior volume for the full cat-back is really good.

Thanks for the replies and votes. Keep them coming guys (and Gals) :)

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The lip is in the final stages and will be available soon. Will keep everyone up to date on that. As far as the diffuser goes, I will need to make a poll to figure out if there is enough interest in one to make it.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Just give us a few pictures PLEASE, ive been itching to see some body mods for our cars !

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
574 Posts
The lip is in the final stages and will be available soon. Will keep everyone up to date on that. As far as the diffuser goes, I will need to make a poll to figure out if there is enough interest in one to make it.
is the lip gonna come in painted? carbon fiber? or what material? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
is the lip gonna come in painted? carbon fiber? or what material? Thanks.
It will be Urethane. It will come unpainted and ready for prep and paint.

Lets try and keep this thread on topic. If you have questions regarding the Front Lip please PM me. I will be starting a new thread about the Lip when I have some pictures and an exact release date.

·
Registered
574 Posts
bump!!! axel back axel back!

Reactions: Team_STILLEN
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.