Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also recently put on 19"s from the stock 17. I really don't notice very much ride difference between the two. I have the Bridgestone*DriveGuard and they are great!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I have been thinking about going from my 17" OEM to 19" after market and replacing the RFT with 245/40/19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (V) or the super sport.

I would take my 17" RIMS and put winters on them.

What I am trying to achieve is make corning better in summer time. I find with the 17" RFT cause the traction control to cut power to the engine way to often when taking tight corners. Would getting Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 19" stop this? or would I find the same improvement in getting the (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3) tire in 17".

This is on a Q50 2014 AWD Premium (non sport).
The AS/3s are an all season tire. If you are getting dedicated winter tires wouldn't you want to run a summer tire in the summer?

·
Registered
600 Posts
The AS/3s are an all season tire. If you are getting dedicated winter tires wouldn't you want to run a summer tire in the summer?
Yes I am looking at the Michelin Pilot Super Sport as well. The all season are not far off and have a higher mileage. Just want to figure out if I would benefit from getting 19" or sticking with 17" for both winter and summer.

For example if I got Michelin Pilot Super Sport 17" or 19" would I feel a big difference in cornering between the two?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Me having the 17" wheels on my car, I would say that the 19" wheels would equal a rougher ride by a minor percentage. The 17s ARE the base wheels for a Q50 (and Q50 Premium, which I have), but I decided to not get the 19" wheels because of the rougher ride.

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
...For example if I got Michelin Pilot Super Sport 17" or 19" would I feel a big difference in cornering between the two?
The simple answer is yes, With the 19" 40 series tire you will feel an improvement in cornering and braking. In part because of the larger contact patch and in part because of them being a summer performance tire. The performance will be compromised at temps below 40F.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do you notice it take's corners better?
To be honest, I haven't really tested them in regards to corners and other high speed exploits. I would imagine, however, that since they are a wider base, they would handle the corners better than the stock 17" due to more friction.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience with this, having only had 4x4s until recently, but a buddy of mine tells me that having a summer tire in inclement weather can be downright scary. I think all season is the way to go.

Winter tires are like mush in warm weather and summer tires are like bricks in cold weather. Unless you have the luxury of swapping wheels and tires, then all season is probably the best bet. A performance compromise, yes, but a good one to make.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Went from 17's to 19's (Dunlop) yesterday. Car feels higher, obviously. Looks waaaay better....like a totally different car. Probably could be dropped an inch, but looks fantastic.

Also, while waiting for service, I was loaned a Q60 coupe (3.0t) for the day... 300 hp. That car is beautiful, but noticeable turbo lag and slower than my q50 3.7

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just upgraded to 19s (aftermarket) from 17s and really didn't notice much of a difference in terms of ride comfort and road noise. The key is choosing good tires. I went with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (non RFT) and really like the way it handles. It''s a hair stiffer than the 17s, but is honestly barely noticeable. The car is actually much quieter now on the highway too. I don't have a factory jack kit but will be picking one up soon and will probably get a lightweight 17x7 Enkei RPF1 wheel and light, cheapish tire as a spare.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Went from 17's to 19's (Dunlop) yesterday. Car feels higher, obviously. Looks waaaay better....like a totally different car. Probably could be dropped an inch, but looks fantastic.

Also, while waiting for service, I was loaned a Q60 coupe (3.0t) for the day... 300 hp. That car is beautiful, but noticeable turbo lag and slower than my q50 3.7
19’s do look way better. 17’s look terrible. (I’m rolling on 17’s :crying:)

Car feels higher? What size tires did you go with? 40 series would actually be -2.2% circumference.

Vbox testing has shown that 0-60 times favor the 3.0 vs 3.7, with the sedan. I don’t think the coupe is slower.

@hunter81 wrote:

“I used a VBOX to test a 3.0t Premium loaner and it went 0-60 in 4.87 seconds versus 5.3 for the 3.7. The 3.0t's are definitely quick, not that a 3.7 isn't”

http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/q5...14-q50-buy-end-lease-go-2017-new-lease-3.html

Reactions: hunter81

·
Registered
5 Posts
if You live in Minnesota and have horrible potholes avoid the 19s like a plague. I have 19s on my car and every time I see a pothole I either change lanes (85% of the time) or get ready for a stupid jolt. I think 18s with 45 will be best. I didn’t see this issue when I drove the 3.0t with 17s

·
Registered
326 Posts
I just did this also, Didn't like the look of the 17's, But will run them in the winter, I went with G37S 19's and 245/40/19 Firestone Firehawks+ 20mm spacers

Attachments

Reactions: HamisH007

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Will 18 from G37 fit on Q50 w/o spacers. I do not want to go with 19s because of the road conditions plus I really like the look of G37 18 inch wheels. I do not have the sport brakes.
I believe that 18" should fit and clear the standard caliper. But let's wait for the others to chime in and re-confirm.

·
Registered
2018 Signature.(sold)
2,879 Posts
Will 18 from G37 fit on Q50 w/o spacers. I do not want to go with 19s because of the road conditions plus I really like the look of G37 18 inch wheels. I do not have the sport brakes.
I believe that 18" should fit and clear the standard caliper. But let's wait for the others to chime in and re-confirm.
Yes the 18" will fit I had them on my 14 base Q50, I had 245/45/18 tires.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.