Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two 2018 Q50RS's, identically equipped. Same tires on both (Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ss); same wheels (Rays 9x19 sport wheels); exactly the same equipment on both; same air pressure on both. One of them, though, with about 22,000 on the tires, is showing severe cupping on the inside of both front wheels and abnormal outside wear. The other one, without about 5,000 miles less on the same tires, has perfect fronts: no problem whatsoever. I'm replacing all the tires with new 4Ss on the one with the problem and am taking the car in for a dealer alignment, but I find it strange why one of the cars shows this and the other one shows nothing. Any ideas?
DSC_0581.jpg
DSC_0583.jpg

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,601 Posts
Stock suspension? Lowered?

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,601 Posts
Alignment then?

Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alignment then?
Well, I am going to do that, but I wouldn't expect both fronts to be out almost identically: maybe one side from a pothole or something, but both by virtually the same amount? I admit that the one with the problem is my wife's car, and she, surprisingly, drives much harder than I do, but still. She wants a Ferrari 458, so maybe that tells us something. I'll post the results of the dealer alignment, which, incidentally, on a DAS car is VERY expensive (which also makes little sense to me, but I have some recourse if the dealer alignment is screwed up) .

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,601 Posts
I've reviewed the alignment procedure for DAS-equipped cars and it's rather involved. You need a CONSULT tool to perform DAST calibration when adjusting toe-in. Camber and caster cannot be adjusted. The front suspension needs to be inspected for wear or damage if those are outside the standard. The tire wear sure looks like an alignment problem to me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's going in to the dealer on Friday, so I'll let everyone know the results.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,601 Posts
She wants a Ferrari 458, so maybe that tells us something.

Your wife has good taste! Here I am about to do some laps at Portland Int'l Raceway in a Ferrari F430. Fun car to drive. I'm going back up to PIR in 3 weeks to drive a 660 HP Ferrari 488 GTB and a 602 HP Lamborghini Huracan LP610-4 on the track. My youngest son is going also and is driving the same cars. A little father-son bonding moment!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There was really nothing in the alignment results that could possibly account for that front tire wear.

In any event, sort of off thread, my wife doesn't just like any Ferrari 458, she likes the 458GT, as well as the Lamborghini Hurrican GT, which are both dedicated race cars. Obviously, she has spent too much time at Dream Racing at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. If PIR has the Lamborghini Aventador SV, you might want to try that. Although it's not a dedicated race car, it's pretty nice with a 750hp V12.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Just going by the look of the wear, I would think it'd be caused by lower tire pressure. You said both cars had the same pressure. Were the tire on hers on or around 35 psi when cold? The LF might be due to camber.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts