Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Studio on Wheels includes 14 high-performance speakers, and the company’s first application of Bose Advanced Staging Technology that delivers front-row concert sound for front-seat passengers. The Q50 also comes equipped with Bose Active Sound Management to reduce unwanted cabin noise while still maintaining engine acoustics.

Advanced Staging Technology directs audio to the most ideal locations, vocals in the centre, instruments right and left. There are five 3.25-inch Bose mid/high range tweeters across the front dash. AST is supposed to give a wider sound and a precise audio environment, probably why they call it Studio on Wheels.

Six other mid/high range speakers can be found though out the cabin, two 1-inch tweeters, one near each side mirror; one 5.25 inch mid range speaker in each rear door, and two 3.25 inch tweeters on each side of the rear deck behind the rear passenger row.

Base comes from two 10-inch Bose woofers (one in each front door) and another woofer mounted on the rear deck for depth.

The Q50 also comes with Bose Active Sound Management to control engine and powertrain sound inside the cabin. In conjunction with the audio system’s speakers and amplifier, the Bose Active Sound Management system reduces unwanted powertrain noise in the Q50 while enhancing the desirable engine sounds (all of them?)

Anyone ordered their Q50 with the Bose System? Anyone had a chance to fiddle with the Bose sound system?

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
The Bose Active Sound Management must be the playing of the engine and exhaust sounds through the speakers. It is very awesome sounding!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Bose Active Sound Management must be the playing of the engine and exhaust sounds through the speakers. It is very awesome sounding!
Interesting you say that, alot of people have been up in arms about BMW running engine sounds through the speakers, Is there any difference between what Infiniti is doing and what BMW is doing? :confused:

And if there isn't dont you guys find this a little disturbing that makers feel the need to pump engine acoustics into the cabins? Personally i would trade a bunch of sound deadener to hear the engine do its thing without extra gimmicks. Probably get a better fuel econ too ;)

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Anyone order it??? We pretty much all have it since no one on this forum (that I've seen) is getting the base model Q50

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Anyone ordered their Q50 with the Bose System? Anyone had a chance to fiddle with the Bose sound system?
All trims except base come with the Bose system. I'm getting the Sport pkg so I'll certainly have it. Btw, acoustic quality is obviously a subjective measure. Superior car audio performance is extremely important to me; currently, I have a 12" type R aftermarket sub in my G37, powered by a 500w Alpine amp that's professionally spliced to my factory head unit. It is a phenomenal setup. Of course, the factory unit has inherent limitations on the adjustability and fine-tuning of the sub; I can only adjust the sub gains as the head unit will only manipulate the interior door/rear speakers. Long story short, I have convinced myself that I will not be going through the hassles of installing my (heavy:eek:) sub into my [0.26 cd] Q50--adding weight & potentially interfering with the endless amount of tech in this car. I was hoping the Q50 would offer advanced audio controls with this new Bose package, such that I can at least attempt to mimic the deep bass & minimize clipping that will inevitably happen in the Q50 upon tuning the volume up at max levels; at least with the low to mid-fidelity music that sometimes plays over the air. With that being said, I have not had a chance to explore this Q50 system in-depth, so perhaps it may surprise me :confused:. I presume the overwhelming majority on this forum will likely be satisfied with the Q50 system; I'm just hoping that disappointment will be spared for me! :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Interesting you say that, alot of people have been up in arms about BMW running engine sounds through the speakers, Is there any difference between what Infiniti is doing and what BMW is doing? :confused:

And if there isn't dont you guys find this a little disturbing that makers feel the need to pump engine acoustics into the cabins? Personally i would trade a bunch of sound deadener to hear the engine do its thing without extra gimmicks. Probably get a better fuel econ too ;)
From my understanding, the engine sounds are only pumped into the cabin of hybrid sport models.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Lexus generates engine sound trough the sound system (IS350/250).
It sounds too good to be realistic. Like a Video game.
VW and Porsche use sound "pipe" from the engine compartment, with acoustic
correction. Nothing is real anymore, we live in a virtual world...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lexus generates engine sound trough the sound system (IS350/250).
It sounds too good to be realistic. Like a Video game.
VW and Porsche use sound "pipe" from the engine compartment, with acoustic
correction. Nothing is real anymore, we live in a virtual world...
Thats my problem with it, Id trade all the insulation in the world to hear the engine howl naturally.

Thanks for all the input about the Bose System, I'm likely going with the base model so its just an option to me ;) My main playlists are Garage/Psychedelic, the likes of Jefferson Airplane, 13th Floor Elevators, Big Brother and the Holding Company etc. and I like it LOUD, I know chicagokevo mentioned something about clipping at high volume levels and I was wondering if anyone could elaborate a little further.

I dont know too much about audio systems and realistically if I can get a better system from the aftermarket world I'll readily save myself the extra dollars.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
When I test drove, i turned off all audio so I could focus on car noise, road noise, engine noise, wind noise. Coming from my current car, *anything* will be an upgrade in terms of audio, so I did not bother checking the sound system on the Q50.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
I meant in relation to the Q50, Anyone had a chance to crank the knob? I know what an overdriven amp sounds like ;)
I did try it and played some hard rock on it and it was ok for me! Maybe didn't play it long enough but I wasn't wowed by it! Certainly an upgrade from my G35 but not something that wowed me!

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
I've forgotten what it's like to have a really good sound system in a car. Bowers and Wilkens in My Jaguar XF was good and before that I have to go all the way back to my 1993 Chrysler Cirrus. The Bose in my M is just ok. From what I heard in my test drive of the Q, it is just OK, not wow.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Bose Active Sound Management came out in the 2009 G37 convertible and it really makes a big difference when the roof is open.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.