Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry to revive an older thread but I'm having the same issue as @Slammy on my stock 2020 Luxe.

First few minutes of driving after warm up it pulls hard/normally on acceleration. But then out of no where I start getting what feels like turbo lag. I'll push the accelerator moderately, the gears change but no power for 2-3 seconds. It basically falls on it's face till the boost builds and this also happens regardless of drive mode.

This doesn't happen all the time but is becoming more and more intermittent. No pending or stored codes and has always ran on 93 octane Exxon or Shell fuel since day 1.

This may not happen for a week then all of sudden on a drive once it happens it keeps doing it no matter how long I drive. Next day it's fine, I don't get it. Thanks for your help in advance. I know the dealer will say I'm crazy since no codes so I haven't bothered with them yet.
Had a service advisor drive it while it was having the issue and he said oh **** yea I see what you’re talking about now. Left the car, made sure they left it on before the tech drove it, apparently it went back to normal. They said sorry nothing we can do.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Had a service advisor drive it while it was having the issue and he said oh **** yea I see what you’re talking about now. Left the car, made sure they left it on before the tech drove it, apparently it went back to normal. They said sorry nothing we can do.
So no codes stored or present when the tech checked it out? They probably shut it off anyway and it went back to normal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So no codes stored or present when the tech checked it out? They probably shut it off anyway and it went back to normal.
No codes whatsoever. I read in another thread that putting it into park and back to drive twice will clear the limp mode. If that’s true then it may have gotten cleared after I passed it off to the service advisor to drive then when he passed it off to the tech. Or they just turned it off by accident at some point. Regardless, tech says there’s not issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Happens whether it’s hot or cold out and after the engine has been running for only a few minutes. Been trying to figure out either something I’m doing or a common environmental factor but so far it’s always super random. Drove 180 miles from LA to SD and no issues. On the way back, had the issue at night, got off on a random exit, turned it off at the red light, turned it back on, fixed it.
This car runs very hot normally. You should just run with 91 octane. The pedal delay is an old issue with Infiniti. Happened with g37 where the car sits for 2-3 seconds then takes off. Try to put in eco drive mode then drive aggressive. Then switch back to a sport mode. Also try turning off Navi shift. And any eco brake pedal features.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This car runs very hot normally. You should just run with 91 octane. The pedal delay is an old issue with Infiniti. Happened with g37 where the car sits for 2-3 seconds then takes off. Try to put in eco drive mode then drive aggressive. Then switch back to a sport mode. Also try turning off Navi shift. And any eco brake pedal features.
I always run on 91. It’s happened 5 minutes into my drive when it’s 70 degrees outside. I’ve tried playing with the drive modes as well. I haven’t been able to find any patterns to indicate what could possibly be causing it; whether it be how I drive, how long I’ve been driving, outside temperature, drive modes. I’ve driven it for 2+ hours in 100 degree whether and it never lost power. It’s not a slight loss. It goes from being an RS 400 to a Nissan Sentra. Lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
I always run on 91. It’s happened 5 minutes into my drive when it’s 70 degrees outside. I’ve tried playing with the drive modes as well. I haven’t been able to find any patterns to indicate what could possibly be causing it; whether it be how I drive, how long I’ve been driving, outside temperature, drive modes. I’ve driven it for 2+ hours in 100 degree whether and it never lost power. It’s not a slight loss. It goes from being an RS 400 to a Nissan Sentra. Lol
So I've been trying to pinpoint the issue since I knew the dealer would be useless if no codes are present. I checked for codes before, during, after and while driving. I'm getting nothing, not even a pending code and data stream looks the same while it's happening and when it's not.

For my vehicle I've finally figure out if I DON'T use manual mode at all it's fine. But if I use manual mode then switch back to auto I start getting the power loss. Haven't tried manual mode in two weeks and no issues. I've drove in 30-90 degree temperatures so that's not the cause. I can tell the difference between heat soak and this issue.

YMMV @Slammy but try not using manual mode. In my case drive mode doesn't matter as long as I stay in auto.

In my vehicle going from auto to manual back to auto just puts it into what fells like a faux limp mode.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I've been trying to pinpoint the issue since I knew the dealer would be useless if no codes are present. I checked for codes before, during, after and while driving. I'm getting nothing, not even a pending code and data stream looks the same while it's happening and when it's not.

For my vehicle I've finally figure out if I DON'T use manual mode at all it's fine. But if I use manual mode then switch back to auto I start getting the power loss. Haven't tried manual mode in two weeks and no issues. I've drove in 30-90 degree temperatures so that's not the cause. I can tell the difference between heat soak and this issue.

YMMV @Slammy but try not using manual mode. In my case drive mode doesn't matter as long as I stay in auto.

In my vehicle going from auto to manual back to auto just puts it into what fells like a faux limp mode.
That’s very interesting, now that you mention it... that could be a pattern that I’ve missed. I’m going to try not using manual mode for a while. That might be hard though because it’s kinda just a force of habit sometimes. I still want the tech at the dealer to drive it while it’s having the issue, so finding a way to induce the problem could be helpful. With the amount of power missing when it happens, even if there’s no codes, i don’t know how they’d be able to deny there being an issue.

·
Registered
2020 Infiniti Q50S
24 Posts

I've had this problem intermittently as well.
I think the same thing has been happening to me. It's random and intermittent so I was never really able to pinpoint the issue causing it, but manual mode causing this delayed acceleration makes total sense. Though for me, I don't need to put the gear shifter into manual mode, simply using the paddle shifters causes this lag in throttle response after. I went for a drive today and kept my hands off the paddle shifters and didn't experience any problems. Tried using the paddle shifters again, leaving it in auto mode and sure enough, it had problems with throttle response soon after. Thanks for the suggestion! It was driving me crazy for awhile because it seemed so random.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the same thing has been happening to me. It's random and intermittent so I was never really able to pinpoint the issue causing it, but manual mode causing this delayed acceleration makes total sense. Though for me, I don't need to put the gear shifter into manual mode, simply using the paddle shifters causes this lag in throttle response after. I went for a drive today and kept my hands off the paddle shifters and didn't experience any problems. Tried using the paddle shifters again, leaving it in auto mode and sure enough, it had problems with throttle response soon after. Thanks for the suggestion! It was driving me crazy for awhile because it seemed so random.
Sorry guys I totally forgot to mention that I only have the Luxe trim so paddles never even crossed my mind. This is the strangest problem and a fix will probably never come from the dealer unless a multitude of people came forward.

It's strange because in my particular vehicle once I shift back to auto mode the transmission shifts up and down normally. But the boost almost feels like it builds at a turtle pace compared to before I change modes.

I would say it feels like complete limp mode but once it builds boost it takes off like normal so I dont get it. Being a former automotive technician with a long since lapsed ASE in automatic transmissions you'd think I may have seen this before but no. This definitely seems like a programming error or communication issue but it's so intermittent it doesn't make sense. Over my time in the shop I never seen an issue like this and most techs these days can't diagnose without a code.

The only way I see this getting diagnosed properly is running a data stream with the current gen Consult scanner and having a competent tech actually duplicate the problem and see where the differences lie.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I ruled this out as a cause for mine. I stopped using manual mode in any way also and it has still happened.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I ruled this out as a cause for mine. I stopped using manual mode in any way also and it has still happened.
Man that's disappointing. I've been driving my car hard in standard and sport with no issues. I'm curious if what I'm experiencing in my Luxe differs slightly from your RS? I know we have some different components but I doubt that's the issue.

You're positive you didn't switch it for a moment not thinking about it? I've had to stop myself because it's a natural reaction for me switch to manual for passing and back to auto within seconds.

I've been constantly trying to force it to act up in auto but no dice. Whatever this mystery plague is I hope that we find what's causing it because it's a dealbreaker for me. Mine goes back next month but was going to order the RS MY21 in slate grey until this issue arose. Now I'm leaning towards the 40th anniversary Maxima.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Man that's disappointing. I've been driving my car hard in standard and sport with no issues. I'm curious if what I'm experiencing in my Luxe differs slightly from your RS? I know we have some different components but I doubt that's the issue.

You're positive you didn't switch it for a moment not thinking about it? I've had to stop myself because it's a natural reaction for me switch to manual for passing and back to auto within seconds.

I've been constantly trying to force it to act up in auto but no dice. Whatever this mystery plague is I hope that we find what's causing it because it's a dealbreaker for me. Mine goes back next month but was going to order the RS MY21 in slate grey until this issue arose. Now I'm leaning towards the 40th anniversary Maxima.
Yea it sucks. The day after I read your post about not putting it into manual is when I attempted to drive it without going into manual and about two miles from my house it acted up. So I’m sure I didn’t use manual mode. I had a 2017 silver sport q50 before and never had any type of issues with it. Could just be a lemon but I wish I could get the dealer to see and admit there’s an issue. At this point I’m just dealing with it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am also having this issue on a 2020 RS. I notice a patter. Where if I'm in traffic going at a regular old lady pace, not flooring it, for a while and then when I can open it up, pedal to the floor, nothing happens. It stays at around 2500 rpm for a few seconds then immediately jumps to 6500. I was thinking its heat soak since it only seems to happen in the afternoon and not on my drive to work when its in the 40's or 50's outside. But again there is traffic in the afternoon that there isn't in the morning. I am now trying to watch my JB4 guage for "gear" to see if its just not downshifting immediately on 100% throttle. It feels like starting out in 7th off the line.

But if its related to the slow driving and sudden 100% throttle could it be the water pumps are not running at low rpm and the exchangers are hot? I saw a video on here maybe that showed how to get into the service mode on the screen and you could set duty cycle on the pumps to 100% on.

What is heat soak exactly and are their sensors that prevent the engine from spooling up when the exchangers or intercoolers are hot? While driving fast up and down the speedometer from stop light to stop light when its 90 out the IAT reads from 80-95 and goes down when I'm moving obviously with the air mass going over the exchanger. But no power loss.

This really feels like its not downshifting or something is preventing the engine from cramping up then lets it go. It will also repeatedly do this after it happens once.

Rambled there but I've been watching this for weeks now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My issue has also reared its ugly head once again so No, switching back and forth from manual mode is NOT the cause.

After almost a month of no issues it happend twice in a few days span. I'm truly at a loss for the cause of this phenomenon and doubt I'll figure out before mine goes back next month.

@Slammy Sorry man I really thought I was on to something.

@SilveRS It seems like it could be heat soak but I've had this happen in freezing temperatures within 5 minutes of start up. Chances of heat soak in those conditions are almost nil. It really almost feels like the wastegates are getting stuck open sometimes.

I think there is a simple communication error but it's just not getting recorded. Just went to get my 20K oil change service and once again asked the tech to check for codes. Even with their newest Consult scanner, nothing has been recorded.

I really have enjoyed the vehicle when it's good but the power loss issues really takes away your confidence when you need power delivery. Now everytime I get aggressive on the pedal I'm always waiting for it to choke.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts