Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker who has found all of the advice and experiences from the active forum members very helpful. Thanks!

I placed a pre-order that is due to arrive at the end of October (Q50 Premium, nav, leather, deluxe touring, 19" wheels). The 19" wheels on a non-sport is my only "uncommon" option. If I wanted the standard wheels, I could probably go to a local dealership and purchase today. I did have one dealer offer to put the 19s on a car they had on the lot. I've read that the speedometer and odometer need to be recalibrated and that there is a risk of other issues when changing tire sizes (ABS, etc.), but I've also seen guidelines to keep within 3% of overall diameter, etc. I know it is done all the time, but how does a swap out at a tire shop or at the dealership compare to it coming "from the factory" with the larger wheels?

Thanks in advance.
Eric

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
The overall circumference of the 19" and 17" wheels from the dealer, once you put the tires on, is the same. 17's have tires with a taller sidewall.

If the dealer does this for you, you won't have to reprogram anything. If you were to buy wheels from tire rack or someplace like that, then you'd need tpms and programming. And if you went to 22" rims, you'd either need a tire with about a 1/4" tall sidewall, or changes to the speedo.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
The overall circumference of the 19" and 17" wheels from the dealer, once you put the tires on, is the same. 17's have tires with a taller sidewall.

If the dealer does this for you, you won't have to reprogram anything. If you were to buy wheels from tire rack or someplace like that, then you'd need tpms and programming. And if you went to 22" rims, you'd either need a tire with about a 1/4" tall sidewall, or changes to the speedo.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
This is interesting to know.

I only ask because I'm contemplating getting a non-Sport Hybrid but I really dislike the 17" wheels and would rather swap them out with the Infiniti 19" bright alloys. I've just been curious to if this was even possible...

·
Registered
289 Posts

I only ask because I'm contemplating getting a non-Hybrid Sport but I really dislike the 17" wheels and would rather swap them out with the Infiniti 19" bright alloys. I've just been curious to if this was even possible...
The non-hybrid sport comes with 19s standard (?)

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts

I only ask because I'm contemplating getting a non-Hybrid Sport but I really dislike the 17" wheels and would rather swap them out with the Infiniti 19" bright alloys. I've just been curious to if this was even possible...
Non-Hybrid Sport comes with 19" Sport Wheels.
Non-Hybrid Premium come Standard with 17" wheels that can be upgraded to 19" Sport Wheels or the 17" Bright Finish Wheels.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My dyslexia came out in full blast, my apologies!

Obviously I meant the Non-Sport Hybrid! :eek:

Can the 17" alloys be upgraded to the 19" bright alloys at the dealer? :)
(Edit - Sorry, re-read and caught your last sentence/question this time-around & modified my answer a little) Yeah SimpsonTide, it is a bummer that the 19" Sport Wheels can only be ordered with the 3.7 gas model. I don't know why Infiniti does it that way. But it is not a factory orderable option on a non-S model Hybrid. That said, you might be able to get a dealership to swap them out for you as part of your deal on a non-S Hybrid, if they were willing to do it for the sale. Of course they'll probably tack on the $1000 MSRP and possible some extra for doing the swap. I'm just curious as to how a dealer would do this (hint-hint to any dealer folk reading this). If they take them off a 3.7 gasser that was built/shipped in with'em, then they would be on the original window sticker. Can the sticker be re-done by the dealer to then sell that car with out the 19" tires and with the 17" ones instead??

·
Registered
164 Posts
I enquired about switching the run flats with Michelin AS3 tires about a month ago when I did my first test drive. At that time, the salesperson said it could be done at no cost, as they had just done it with another customer since the Michelins are cheaper than the run flats, and overall the cost factor would be even if you add labor/balancing, and they would get credit from Infiniti once they send the tires/wheels back to factory. However, when I pulled the trigger for purchase this weekend, he informed me that switching out tires was no longer a possibility as they had just found out that Infinity refused to pay them back for the tires they had returned for the prior customer, and apparently this ended up costing the dealership a good $1200.

Not a deal breaker for me. I figure the run flats will wear out by 20K miles and I'll do the switch then (I got the spare tire package).

·
Registered
4 Posts
The overall diameter of tire not wheel size is what's important. I ran a plus 3 set up from 17 to 20 aftermarket. The overall tire diameters are almost close enough. When speedo says 60 i am actually going 60.4. As for the tpms they can be swapped out by breaking tire bead without dismounting the whole tire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.