Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

Swapping the upper screen

13K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  Wlaziu 
#1 ·
Is it possible to swap the 2014 Q50 top screen with a 2015 model top screen? The connections are the same. Has anyone tried this before?

#4 ·
I bought one of those Q50 Android modules for the top screen (Lsailt version) for my 2014 Q50. The seller told me it only worked for the 2015-2016 Q50's due to a diff model top screen. Looking at the back of the upper screen the connections are exactly the same for both 2014 and 2015+ models. But the unit is clearly different. I'm hoping Infiniti made their 2015+ upper screens backwards compatible (good chance it is due to same manufacturer/connections) so it would be easy for them to ship out replacement top screens.

#6 ·
I have done this for my Android install, only issue I had is I could only buy one from the US. So I have a late 2015 car with an old 2014 headunit (nice one Infiniti). Purchased a late 2015 USA headunit which works great with my android module but I have lost some functionality, including FM radio and parking sensors :(

#7 ·
I did a swap using a used unit from salvage yard. It's perfectly doable. I swapped EU unit with another EU one. Works perfect.
After swapping you need to do two things:
1) Used unit is paired with immo (nats system). To pair it with your car you need to re register keys.
2) After install you need to configure the unit according to your cars equipement (360 Cameras, sonar, radios, LHD/RHD, bose, hybrid or not, enable navi module etc.)
Hope that helps.

#8 ·
Do you have an idea if EU and USA screens are compatible? I have 2014 Q50 3.7 imported from USA and I want install new Lsailt android module which is compatible only with 2015+ models. So I plan to replace top screen by 2015+ and install android module at same time.
By the way, android module is overriding top screen anyway, maybe configuration with consult would not be required...
I also leave in Poland, where did you configure top screen? Official dealer or somewhere else?

#10 ·
Somebody on ifans.pl forum did the us to eu swap. I never did that but I belive it will work. You will still have us radio freq. and us Navi as they sit in separate modules. You will get different options (ie polish language) as eu version is coded slightly differently.

#12 ·
W domu :)
Mam laptop i w miarę dobry skaner/przelotkę J2534 i Consulta.
Ale po zamontowaniu będziesz miał komunikat ID Secure. To musi Ci ogarnąć serwis, albo ktoś kto robi kluczyki / immo. Wystarczy zapytać o ponowne wpisanie kluczyków.
Masz też drugą opcję. Ja z niej korzystam i jestem zadowolony:
Gościu ma moduł, który ma 8 rdzeniowy procek i stoi na Androidzie 5.1 oraz jako jedyny wspiera DCU z nowszym i starszym Prockiem.

#14 ·
750 USD + VAT. Wszystko póki co działa. Świetnie się integruje z kamerami, tel., przyciskami etc. Można zrobić roota bez problemu.
Ładnie działa naviexpert + spotify.
Jedyne co musiałem "wyregulowac" to wzmocnienie mikrofonu bo było za duże i charczalo.

#15 ·
Ok, let's switch to English. Actually I found on ifans.pl description regarding swapping screens and other modules.
750 usd for the module is quite a lot, but looks like that module is made from high quality componets.
Regarding root, do you think after root and updating android to higher version every thing will work properly? Or why you mentioned about root?
Would be interesting to read reviews of lsailt module as well.

#16 ·
Reszta z nas, którzy nie mówią po polsku, doceniłaby to.

#18 ·
No problem. Others here may be able to provide help if they can understand what you have questions about!

#19 ·
Sorry for wrong language.
Root is usefull to use apps with advenced functions like tasker to automate starting sequence, volume control when switching between aux and internal speaker, and button mapper to remap some redundant up/down buttons.

You cannot upgrade Android to newer version unless James Jin will make a newer rom. He won't. China is worse then Apple as per planned obsolescence to buy new hardware. (look at tesla screen)

Module has some restrictions:
  • no multi-touch (no pinch zoom possible)
  • no fast boot, ca. 60 seconds from car start to navigate and music (theoreticaly you could use a powerbank and a bit of wiring for power during short to medium stops)
  • does not detect long button press (cannot use same button for two functions)
  • Sometimes it keeps resetting the gps. You get an erratic position. I use Tasker to restart location service when that happens. Somehow it prompts yanosik to restart so it's easy to catch. It will happen maybe once a week. Apparently gps is a separate module on board and uses some wired Bluetooth-serial protocol as interface that sometimes fails.
  • you need root to fine tune microphone gain (depends on mic impedance, cable length). Out of the box it picks too much noise.
  • voice recognition works but "ok google" is very finicky so it's better to stay with a button.
  • cannot program (or my software does not recognize) voice button from the Stering Wheel.

All in all it works pretty well, but you will spend few nights polishing it out to work efficiently and quickly.

#20 ·
I believe there are a few others here who have experience with the lsailt. I do not. Hopefully, they will see this thread.

#22 ·
Well it's like with your new phone. You need to spend few hours to install your favorite apps, get your theme, contacts, rings etc. Here you have to configure them to work with buttons, and solve some compatibility issues (android 5.1 is quite old compared to today's phones so some apps don't show in play store and you have to look for older versions elsewhere). But I would not expect "out of the box ready to go experience" from any of those Chinese products. It's like getting a Huawei phone these days, :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.