Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually, $360 for the battery, $18 for the terminals, and $22 for fireproof foam.

Old battery 37 lb 1.8 oz
New Li-ion battery with terminals 4 lb 13.4 oz

I needed a new battery so I thought I'd give this a shot. So far so good. Always fires right up and I've even let the car sit for 3-4 days. I've had it "prop" installed for about 1.5 weeks. Today, I finished up the final install.

Works great. My only concern is longevity. Fingers crossed for at least 3 years.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
3,752 Posts
Actually, $360 for the battery, $18 for the terminals, and $22 for fireproof foam.

Old battery 37 lb 1.8 oz

I needed a new battery so I thought I'd give this a shot. So far so good. Always fires right up and I've even let the car sit for 3-4 days. I've had it "prop" installed for about 1.5 weeks. Today, I finished up the final install.

Works great. My only concern is longevity. Fingers crossed for at least 3 years.
Did the original old down bracket work or is the new battery narrower?

You need to detail under the hood.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did the original old down bracket work or is the new battery narrower?

You need to detail under the hood.
The new battery is narrower in width and length, and shorter in height. I fit the new battery in the OEM full battery sized fireproof blanket/wrap by adding fire proof foam to the bottom and sides of the battery, between the new battery and the OEM blanket. As a result, the new battery sits at the same height the old battery did and the OEM bracket works.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts

Old battery 37 lb 1.8 oz

Curious, what do you expect 32 less pounds to do for you?
My 2017 still has the factory battery in it which I expect to change soon. I plan on a Optima #35 AGM Red Top for about $300 but am open to options.

Reactions: securityguy

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Dude.. You feeling OK?

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 2017 still has the factory battery in it which I expect to change soon. I plan on a Optima #35 AGM Red Top for about $300 but am open to options.
You're asking why someone would perform weight reduction on their car?

If you have deep pockets, you could get a full size Li-ion battery but expect to spend $8 - 900.

Super Street: "With every ounce or pound of weight removed from a vehicle, the car will possess a better horsepower/weight ratio enabling the vehicle to accelerate faster, improve handling characteristics, reduce braking time, while also reducing fuel consumption and emissions."

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
He's just preparing for the weight he is going to gain since Golden Corral is open again.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If anyone wants any foam, I have more than I care to store. I didn't even use a full 2 out of 12. What was I thinking buying a 12 pack, lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Weight reduction is a thing where the sum is the greater than the parts. You can't really shave a couple hundred pounds by making 1 change to a car, but you can make 20 changes that each save 10 lbs.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
If anyone wants any foam, I have more than I care to store. I didn't even use a full 2 out of 12. What was I thinking buying a 12 pack, lol.
That's right were I would keep the extra too. I thought you were married?

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
You're asking why someone would perform weight reduction on their car?

If you have deep pockets, you could get a full size Li-ion battery but expect to spend $8 - 900.

Super Street: "With every ounce or pound of weight removed from a vehicle, the car will possess a better horsepower/weight ratio enabling the vehicle to accelerate faster, improve handling characteristics, reduce braking time, while also reducing fuel consumption and emissions."
Of course I understand the benefits of weight reduction I just didn’t know you were into shaving tenths!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I had thought about a lithium battery in my previous vehicle (was going to run a dual setup, both lithium)...Seemed like there was something in a regular car charging system that wasn't ideal. Believe it was the alternator with regard to voltage or always on max charge, or something like that. Imagine the car (lithium) battery has this in mind, so perhaps it has some built-in circuitry or whatever. Heard of people doing this and like I said, looked into it myself, just there was something about it that needed to be addressed. You may have already looked into this, so just mentioning in case not.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Of course I understand the benefits of weight reduction I just didn’t know you were into shaving tenths!
Have you seen my mod list? Always looking to shave a pound. LDPs shaved about 6.5lb. AMS air box and cone filters 1lb. Lug nuts 2lb. Cat back 9.5lb. Two-piece rotors ~27lb. UR crank pulley 3lb. Rims and tires 34lb. Battery 32lb. Spare tire Styrofoam and wrench 1.5lb. Rear headrests, rear floor mats (no one sits back there), etc. :D

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Have you seen my mod list? Always looking to shave a pound. LDPs shaved about 6.5lb. AMS air box and cone filters 1lb. Lug nuts 2lb. Cat back 9.5lb. Two-piece rotors ~27lb. UR crank pulley 3lb. Rims and tires 34lb. Battery 32lb. Spare tire Styrofoam and wrench 1.5lb. Rear headrests, rear floor mats (no one sits back there), etc. :D
Very cool. Have you measured 0-60 or 1/4 mile times?

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very cool. Have you measured 0-60 or 1/4 mile times?
No, but I want to so badly. No tracks near me but I do have a Dragy. I just need to find a good roadway free of slopes, traffic, houses, businesses, cops.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
No, but I want to so badly. No tracks near me but I do have a Dragy. I just need to find a good roadway free of slopes, traffic, houses, businesses, cops.
Hmmmm...maybe a gated community in the middle of the night?

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
0-60 times with the Dragy are easy to do, I’ve pulled over on the highway to launch. Finding the near flat run is difficult around here. 1/4 is much more difficult due to the high speed.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,721 Posts
You ought to come out here.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
1 - 20 of 71 Posts