Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,736 Posts
Yeah, he didn't mention fallen rock, cliffs, tourists, and logging trucks.
Don't forget RV's, 5th-wheelers and bicycles choking up Hwy 101 during the summer. Falling rock is no joke around here as a lot of the roads are cut into hillsides along the rivers and coastline. Add some clear-cut logging on the slopes above and the next bout of torrential rains cause a landslide because the trees that were holding it all together are gone. I've seen some pretty hairy landslides around here over the years.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Reactions: Pillboy

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Dude.. You feeling OK?
Lol. You know me well. But it's not like I spent $400 (total) to shave 32 lb. I needed a new battery anyway. A good new lead-acid battery would be what? $200 - $300? Let's say, $250. So, I spent 'only' $150 to shave 32 lb. 😆

And I did get 5% of with Prime. And, shhhh, I use an .edu e-mail address to get Prime for 1/2 off.

Starting to sound more like me now? 🤣

Reactions: u1arunit

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
That batter is about 1/2 the size.

I didnt know foam was fire proof.

GL Tater I hope it works and lasts. Much cheaper than my $1300 battery.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
That batter is about 1/2 the size.

I didnt know foam was fire proof.

GL Tater I hope it works and lasts. Much cheaper than my $1300 battery.
It is a motorcycle battery. That is my only concern. But Li-ion is supposed to last longer than lead-acid. Antigravity claims twice the lifecycle. This is just my wishful thinking, no data for it, but twice the lifecycle at half the size will equal the lifecycle of a good full size lead-acid? I hope!

I didn't know either! It was only after searching and searching for a fireproof lightweight material that I could use to fill in for the smaller size battery did I discover it. And it was always acoustic tiles. Works for me.

Thanks, only time will tell but happy to report updates over time.

How many miles/years on your Li-ion jode?

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Actually, $360 for the battery, $18 for the terminals, and $22 for fireproof foam.

Old battery 37 lb 1.8 oz
New Li-ion battery with terminals 4 lb 13.4 oz

I needed a new battery so I thought I'd give this a shot. So far so good. Always fires right up and I've even let the car sit for 3-4 days. I've had it "prop" installed for about 1.5 weeks. Today, I finished up the final install.

Works great. My only concern is longevity. Fingers crossed for at least 3 years.
Heeey good luck sir!

Honestly $360 isn't much more money than what many would spend on the normal AGM battery, 32lbs of weight savings is actually
pretty good return given how much many spend to cut weight else-where in the car.

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
It is a motorcycle battery. That is my only concern. But Li-ion is supposed to last longer than lead-acid. Antigravity claims twice the lifecycle. This is just my wishful thinking, no data for it, but twice the lifecycle at half the size will equal the lifecycle of a good full size lead-acid? I hope!

I didn't know either! It was only after searching and searching for a fireproof lightweight material that I could use to fill in for the smaller size battery did I discover it. And it was always acoustic tiles. Works for me.

Thanks, only time will tell but happy to report updates over time.

How many miles/years on your Li-ion jode?
Hard to say. I probably got it around 12,000 miles...could have been end of 2018 or beginning of 2019.

I now have 28,000.

You can't count pandemic miles.

Also, I bought a G35 in August 2019, so miles didn't accumulate so much on the Q50. Not intentional...that is just how it went down.

And now, as I've said it before, during the pandemic, the G35 is my daily.

The Q can easily sit for a week at a time. I will try to drive it mid week just in case.

My only concern is that I can not jump the car. There was some set of directions that came with the battery about a jump or a charge. It has been sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hard to say. I probably got it around 12,000 miles...could have been end of 2018 or beginning of 2019.

I now have 28,000.

You can't count pandemic miles.

Also, I bought a G35 in August 2019, so miles didn't accumulate so much on the Q50. Not intentional...that is just how it went down.

And now, as I've said it before, during the pandemic, the G35 is my daily.

The Q can easily sit for a week at a time. I will try to drive it mid week just in case.

My only concern is that I can not jump the car. There was some set of directions that came with the battery about a jump or a charge. It has been sitting on a shelf collecting dust.
That's good to know your Li-ion equipped Q50 can sit for a week at a time.

I hear what you are saying. I was reading about how I should buy a Li-ion specific charger/jumper. But I really don't want to keep adding to the cost of this, lol. My Li-ion actually came "dormant". 9.8 V and wouldn't start the car. I read they can 'fall asleep'. I did use a conventional jump start machine to 'wake it up'. Only had to do that once and she's awake and doing well now. I hope I did not cause any damage.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
That's right were I would keep the extra too. I thought you were married?
Good point Pill. Is this better? In the garage now. Upper cabinets.

The fam (wife and kids) went to Lego Land "today"/well, yesterday (04-25) [it's after midnight], staying at the Lego Land hotel, going to Lego Land again Monday 04-26, and won't be home until 04-26 PM. I think I am good! ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Actually, $360 for the battery, $18 for the terminals, and $22 for fireproof foam.

Old battery 37 lb 1.8 oz
New Li-ion battery with terminals 4 lb 13.4 oz

I needed a new battery so I thought I'd give this a shot. So far so good. Always fires right up and I've even let the car sit for 3-4 days. I've had it "prop" installed for about 1.5 weeks. Today, I finished up the final install.

Works great. My only concern is longevity. Fingers crossed for at least 3 years.
Im thinking of changing my battery shortly but I have a question since you just swapped yours.....Did you use a battery saver? if not did you lose any presets like Memory seat, Radio or other in touch settings?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,736 Posts
Lol. You know me well. But it's not like I spent $400 (total) to shave 32 lb. I needed a new battery anyway. A good new lead-acid battery would be what? $200 - $300? Let's say, $250. So, I spent 'only' $150 to shave 32 lb. 😆

And I did get 5% of with Prime. And, shhhh, I use an .edu e-mail address to get Prime for 1/2 off.

Starting to sound more like me now? 🤣
I'll bet you wash your used ziploc sandwich bags in the dishwasher to reuse them too.

Reactions: Pillboy

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
For those letting their cars sit with a light-weight or Lithium-Ion battery a battery tender may not be a bad idea, not too expensive and
mitigates any risk with having your car sit for a week or two.

My old man picked one up for his motorcycle originally but ends up using it on his 3-series if he doesn't drive it for more than a week
seems to work like a charm.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I'll bet you wash your used ziploc sandwich bags in the dishwasher to reuse them too.
You don't know me as well as I thought. Yes, we absolutely re-use ziplocs. But why the dishwasher shenanigans (expense/time)? We just shake them out! Good to go! ;)

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,736 Posts
You don't know me as well as I thought. Yes, we absolutely re-use ziplocs. But why the dishwasher shenanigans (expense/time)? We just shake them out! Good to go! ;)
My sister-in-law turns her used ziplocs inside out and runs them through the dishwasher. If she ever has one drop down on the dishwasher's heating element during the drying cycle, she'll wish she hadn't done so. Ziploc recommends hand-washing and drying their bags before reuse. Hopefully no one in your family will get salmonella from uncleaned bags with meat residue, mayonnaise, and other putrescible food waste.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Im thinking of changing my battery shortly but I have a question since you just swapped yours.....Did you use a battery saver? if not did you lose any presets like Memory seat, Radio or other in touch settings?

Thanks
You know, I haven't tested everything yet. I've actually not driven the car, just started it in the garage. I did not use a battery saver. I noticed a mixed bag. Like my radio presets were there. But that absurdly annoying feature of the seat and steering wheel moving on its own was back. I believe the same thing happened at Infiniti when I was getting an ECU update and they disconnected the battery. I think most of my settings were retained except the - did I mention ridiculously irritating? - seat and wheel moving.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
My sister-in-law turns her used ziplocs inside out and runs them through the dishwasher. If she ever has one drop down on the dishwasher's heating element during the drying cycle, she'll wish she hadn't done so. Ziploc recommends hand-washing and drying their bags before reuse. Hopefully no one in your family will get salmonella from uncleaned bags with meat residue, mayonnaise, and other putrescible food waste.
How else are you supposed to get your salmonella?

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,736 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
We will reuse paper plates over and over as well. Unfortunately, there does come a time where the call is made that the plate or ziplock bag has reached the end of its useful life. mrs. ptatohed's judgement call comes before mine. I feel they always have "a few more uses" left in them.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,736 Posts
We will reuse paper plates over and over as well. Unfortunately, there does come a time where the call is made that the plate or ziplock bag has reached the end of its useful life. mrs. ptatohed's judgement call comes before mine. I feel they always have "a few more uses" left in them.
Do you hang used paper towels out to dry so they can be re-used? How about toilet paper? You could use leaves instead and save a tree.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
21 - 40 of 71 Posts