Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,865 Posts
I KNEW you'd know.

I replaced the battery in our Ford and did not do anything about resetting the battery age. I have noticed no ill effects so far (a few years), so it probably makes no difference to the charging of the battery, but has dropped fuel mileage by 0.06 MPG.
As a side note, if you're going to work on your car and disconnecting the negative battery cable is part of the job, don't disconnect the cable immediately after turning off the ignition. The ECU may remain active for some time after the ignition is turned off. If the battery cable is removed before the ECU finishes it's thing, then a DTC detection error or ECU data corruption may occur. Infiniti recommends a minimum of 60 seconds before disconnecting the battery cable.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
3,817 Posts
As a side note, if you're going to work on your car and disconnecting the negative battery cable is part of the job, don't disconnect the cable immediately after turning off the ignition. The ECU may remain active for some time after the ignition is turned off. If the battery cable is removed before the ECU finishes it's thing, then a DTC detection error or ECU data corruption may occur. Infiniti recommends a minimum of 60 seconds before disconnecting the battery cable.
Hell, it takes me 5 minutes to find the 10mm wrench to loosen the cable. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
3,817 Posts
Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
287 Posts
Late to the party. Tater if you'd like ill sit up ahead on Domengioni to look for the fuzz. Between Winchester and Warren its pretty flat and early in the morning its always clear. That's where, if I were to have done this, I hypothetically hit 150 a few times.

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Late to the party. Tater if you'd like ill sit up ahead on Domengioni to look for the fuzz. Between Winchester and Warren its pretty flat and early in the morning its always clear. That's where, if I were to have done this, I hypothetically hit 150 a few times.
Lol

Silv, I like it! Thanks man. I'm more of a late night and not early morning guy but you're doing me a favor so whatever works best for you. Unless you think I'd be fine by myself, then I can try, without bothering you. There are several horizontal curves, does that affect the Dragy?

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
So, back somewhat on topic, lol. I installed my Antigravity 5lb Li-ion batt some 2 weeks ago but haven't actually driven the car. Just started her and she fires right up every 2-4 days. Well, this past week, I thought I should take her to work. On Wednesday, I think it was, I go to drive her to work and she was completely dead. :cry: But, in my experience, when a car is dead, dead, dead, which it was, it's not so much the batt, it's a connection/continuity issue. Sure enough, when I got the chance to look it over Thurs night, the positive terminal slipped completely off the positive post. Meanwhile, I am hearing an earful from the mrs. "I knew you shouldn't have spent $360+ on a motorcycle battery for a car". Well, when I was originally tightening down the positive (10mm socket) connector, I was afraid of arcing my wrench against the battery brace. This time, I laid down a shop rag over the batt brace. I cranked down hard! She's good! :)

Today (yesterday), 04-30, we took the 50 out for a 25 mile each way date night while my Mom watched the kids. And no problems. :D

·
Premium Member
3,817 Posts
You connect the positive cable first and the negative last to prevent the accidental arcing from happening.

And I would have given you the same $h!t that Spudette did.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
You connect the positive cable first and the negative last to prevent the accidental arcing from happening.

And I would have given you the same $h!t that Spudette did.
how about when you do a jump?

·
Premium Member
3,817 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Well, with a heavy heart, the battery is boxed up with a return label to Amazon. It was really weird. It could be fine fore days and the car would fire right up, and then one day it started in the morning for work but when I went to go out to lunch 4 hours later, dead-dead. Jump start it and it worked fine the rest of the day (I have a little jump start machine). Works fine several more days, then dead-dead. It would either start the car effortlessly or be dead-dead (no lights or anything). There was no in between. I don't know if I got a defective battery or if this battery is just not compatible with our Q50s. Before I removed it tonight, I measured the voltage. It was literally 0V. When I took the car terminals off the posts and then measured the battery from post to post, I got 11V. Put the terminals back on, measure from post to post, 0V. How do you explain that? When it first arrived, it only measured 9V and the little button on the top that you can press to see if low, weak, strong didn't even light up weak. I had to jump start it even before first use! When it's starting the car no prob, the button lights up strong. Tonight, once again, no light at all. Part of me thinks I got a defective batt and I should try one more time. Not sure what I'll do.

I will update Post # 1 for any future searchers.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,865 Posts
Sounds defective to me.

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Well, with a heavy heart, the battery is boxed up with a return label to Amazon. It was really weird. It could be fine fore days and the car would fire right up, and then one day it started in the morning for work but when I went to go out to lunch 4 hours later, dead-dead. Jump start it and it worked fine the rest of the day (I have a little jump start machine). Works fine several more days, then dead-dead. It would either start the car effortlessly or be dead-dead (no lights or anything). There was no in between. I don't know if I got a defective battery or if this battery is just not compatible with our Q50s. Before I removed it tonight, I measured the voltage. It was literally 0V. When I took the car terminals off the posts and then measured the battery from post to post, I got 11V. Put the terminals back on, measure from post to post, 0V. How do you explain that? When it first arrived, it only measured 9V and the little button on the top that you can press to see if low, weak, strong didn't even light up weak. I had to jump start it even before first use! When it's starting the car no prob, the button lights up strong. Tonight, once again, no light at all. Part of me thinks I got a defective batt and I should try one more time. Not sure what I'll do.

I will update Post # 1 for any future searchers.
How much $hit did you get from the Misses?

·
Premium Member
3,817 Posts
That's why Spud bought the jump box, so he wouldn't have to call Spudette to come jump start his race car.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Actually, none when I told her the $360 batt was going back! She was happy. But, if I try another light weight batt, I'll get S again, lol.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Lol good luck! 🤞

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Premium Member