Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the delay and the Consumer Reports recommendation to avoid purchasing a new model car during the first year, I've been reconsidering my preorder purchase of a hybrid sport with the technology package (graphite shadow with black interior).

I want the car now but I don't want a car with kinks either.

What does the forum group think? Have any of you had experience with buying a first model year Infiniti?

Please let me know.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
The Q50 has a proven drive train. Both the standard 3.7V6 and the hybrid V6 have been available on the M-sedan for over a year. The batteries even come with extended warranty above the standard warranty.

In other words - "Jump! Jump! Jump!"

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
You might want to wait 6 months and see the reviews at that time. Pretty difficult to give you more condense than what the warranty offers until some of us actually have the car.
Welcome to the forum, you will find a lot of good info here and if you haven't read through 80% of the threads, I would suggest you start there. You can also download the manuals on the Q50 to read.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Due to the delay and the Consumer Reports recommendation to avoid purchasing a new model car during the first year, I've been reconsidering my preorder purchase of a hybrid sport with the technology package (graphite shadow with black interior).

What does the forum group think? Have any of you had experience with buying a first model year Infiniti?

Please let me know.

Thanks!
I don't think you're going to get an unbiased answer here! I got a first year TL, a first year Buick lacrosse and a first year jaguar xf. No problems.

·
Registered
118 Posts
For me, the fact that the engine and drivetrain were reused from the G was a big plus. If you go the hybrid route, that has been pretested in the M. If it were not for these, I don't believe I would even consider the Q50 in the first year.

I might add that the transmission has been tweaked so that even though it is recycled, it is much improved over what the G had.

I'm not as concerned about the InTouch system because what we have seen with other car manufacturers is that they can continue to upgrade the software even after you drive off with your car. If it appears to be decent now, it will only get better as they work out the software bugs. You will have to go back to the dealer for the updates though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I will test drive but I also am leaning away from buying based on the Edmunds review finding the Premium does not have the great handling of the G37 or even the Altima. I also want the Deluxe so I find the Auto mag comments on the new electric steering to be concerning. The past review of the G have loved the way it handled, and I do too, so it seems reasonable to accept it. I love the feeling of the G steering.

If I can't see 1 or 2 more full reviews then it does not seem prudent to buy. I'll drive a Sport Deluxe and make sure and do a lot of turning, plus hit rough roads. The S AWD has Dunlop Sport.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I will test drive but I also am leaning away from buying based on the Edmunds review finding the Premium does not have the great handling of the G37 or even the Altima.
I would take that review with a grain of salt. Edmunds pretty much said that they thought the tires were the problem. There has been extensive discussion on that on other threads.

I certainly wouldn't fault anyone for waiting until after August 5 and having a few more reviews come in. That's what I plan to do.

The ultimate review is your test drive. No matter what other people think of it, it has to be right in the way it feels to you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Based on reading more tests I would say the problem is the tire size and not the run flats. I see Edmunds tests of BMW 3s with 18'' run flats turning in slalom speeds of 68. The sport should be good if the ride is ok and not unplesant.

I don't want to spend 50k on a premium and then try to figure out rubber that works, Infiniti should have done that.

Audi in below review had 19s, BMW almost as good on 18 RFT
2012 Audi A4 vs. 2012 BMW 328i vs. 2012 Mercedes-Benz C250 Comparison Test

So you should know, then, that part of the reason the Audi handles the best is because it's fitted with the widest, stickiest tires wrapped around the biggest, heaviest wheels. This is a product of the same optional S line Plus package that gives the A4 the interior detailing we love. The A4 is decidedly the most sporty-feeling sedan in the group as a result. And by "sporty feeling" we mean stiff, because the car's ride quality is compromised by this setup

All-weather ability, for example, might be necessary. If we lived in Colorado, we'd buy the 2012 Audi A4 and ditch the 19-inch wheels and tires in favor of a choice with lighter wheels and better-riding rubber

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I have had first year models of QX4, G35 coupe, FX and G37 convertible, and will have get Q50H AWD sport without heeding consumer report's advise as the consumer report is very conservative about their recommendations. All the infiniti's I have had never had any major issue and Q50 is fundamentally will be as reliable as Gs or even more as Infiniti's future is riding on it.

BTW: consumer report is great magazine, but the decision to make is yours or mine.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I will test drive but I also am leaning away from buying based on the Edmunds review finding the Premium does not have the great handling of the G37 or even the Altima. I also want the Deluxe so I find the Auto mag comments on the new electric steering to be concerning. The past review of the G have loved the way it handled, and I do too, so it seems reasonable to accept it. I love the feeling of the G steering.

If I can't see 1 or 2 more full reviews then it does not seem prudent to buy. I'll drive a Sport Deluxe and make sure and do a lot of turning, plus hit rough roads. The S AWD has Dunlop Sport.
Edmunds and Autoblop barely did more than we are doing with these dealership test drives. Reserve judgment until you drive one and the dealer isn't rushing you. I found the steering to be exceptional.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
I have had first year models of QX4, G35 coupe, FX and G37 convertible, and will have get Q50H AWD sport without heeding consumer report's advise as the consumer report is very conservative about their recommendations. All the infiniti's I have had never had any major issue and Q50 is fundamentally will be as reliable as Gs or even more as Infiniti's future is riding on it.

BTW: consumer report is great magazine, but the decision to make is yours or mine.
Wow, can't blame the mobile device for that paragraph.

Reactions: afrosheen

·
Registered
302 Posts
Based on first generation jitters, I'm going to lease instead of purchase my pre-order. If there are any kinks, they'll be worked out by the time I get done with my lease.

I know the drivetrain and engines are carry overs. However, I'm equally as concerned for all of the new technology, especially the fly by wire and all of the in-dash controls. Since it is all electronic, I suspect any issues could be resolved by software updates anyway.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Based on reading more tests I would say the problem is the tire size and not the run flats. I see Edmunds tests of BMW 3s with 18'' run flats turning in slalom speeds of 68. The sport should be good if the ride is ok and not unplesant.

I don't want to spend 50k on a premium and then try to figure out rubber that works, Infiniti should have done that.

Audi in below review had 19s, BMW almost as good on 18 RFT
2012 Audi A4 vs. 2012 BMW 328i vs. 2012 Mercedes-Benz C250 Comparison Test

So you should know, then, that part of the reason the Audi handles the best is because it's fitted with the widest, stickiest tires wrapped around the biggest, heaviest wheels. This is a product of the same optional S line Plus package that gives the A4 the interior detailing we love. The A4 is decidedly the most sporty-feeling sedan in the group as a result. And by "sporty feeling" we mean stiff, because the car's ride quality is compromised by this setup

All-weather ability, for example, might be necessary. If we lived in Colorado, we'd buy the 2012 Audi A4 and ditch the 19-inch wheels and tires in favor of a choice with lighter wheels and better-riding rubber
That's why you can get the premium with the 19" Dunlop summer tires and sport wheels for 1K. That's what I did. There's lots of them out there like that on the dealers lots already.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Edmunds and Autoblop barely did more than we are doing with these dealership test drives. Reserve judgment until you drive one and the dealer isn't rushing you. I found the steering to be exceptional.
I agree, steering was great and I didn't even get a chance to play with the steering customizations, although I love that the steering changes when you put it in Sport Mode which means you can set it a little lighter for normal driving and instead of having to go into intouch to tighten it up when you want to, you just have to switch it into sport mode which you can do with the flick of a finger right below the gear shifter.

Reactions: afrosheen

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts

Please let me know.

Thanks!
You should've listened to me all along! :cool: ;)

Even if I were in the perfect position to preorder, I just cannot ignore the risk/uncertainty that goes into preordering a new model car, regardless of who makes it and where it came from..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.