Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
3,466 Posts
I've had a CDL for over 40 years, drove OTR and put a LOT of miles on my vehicles. I consider myself an excellent driver. Only one accident which was 100% the other drivers fault. I was at a dead stop when she broadsided me in the B piller luckily not my door which would have caused more injury.

There ARE places you can drive very fast at less risk than the 2 tracks I've driven on. However poop happens. Lightning can strike you etc. It's risk management. M28 in MI is one. I still wouldn't go over 130 MPH, but consider it safer than most tracks as it's a flat wide well maintained highway with limited traffic.

In TX and AZ there are places that you are lucky to see 5 cars in 30 minutes. Not that I condone going beyond your car's or your limits.

My car is more capable than the Dodge pursuit police cars are. Yet it's "safe" for them to go 130? Some civilians are better trained drivers than they are with more capable cars.

A 18-25 year old unless a race car professional driver lacks the experience to drive that fast on public roads.

It's not speed that kills, it's speed differential that's the big issue. If traffic is going 80 you shouldn't be going 55. I personally feel going 5 over the general traffic on the highway is a LOT safer than going 5 MPH under the surrounding traffic.

Slow drivers are dangerous especially if they "hang" in the passing lane. (Pet peeve)

I've seen a LOT if accidents and only 1 was from a speeding car on the "Mass Pike." I90 in heavy traffic in a 3 lane section. It luckily didn't result in any injuries but messed up a few cars. A car going sideways at 80+ makes a lot of tire smoke.

I had a car full of UMV students pass me on my BMW motorcycle like a comet. 100+. I was going 75. The driver and the 3 passengers were dead asleep. Veered into the median, went up the opposite side, then back down onto the highway now sideways to the road.

When the tires hit the pavement the car flipped onto it's roof spinning infront of my bike, me hard on the brakes. Grass n dirt were going over my plastic fairing. Sparks were pouring off the roof of the car as it spun infront of me.

Then went into the ditch on the slow side of the highway slamming into a rock cliff and came to a stop finally.

I stopped to check on the people to see how bad the injuries were. All 4 were 100% fine. So I drove 2 miles to the emergency phone and called the State Police. Then made 2 illegal U turns to return to the scene.

I gave my statement to the responding officer.

Those kids had been up for 2 days cramming for final exams explaining their being asleep in the car.

The funny part was the driver asking the officer "Do you have to tell my parents?" He replied "Well it will be kind of hard to explain the damage to them don't you think?" laughing.

All the windows were broken, the roof was collapsed by about 8", the front and rear were crushed in a bunch.

This was probably the most insane and lucky accident I have ever seen.

I had grass in my air vents in my fairing. I attribute my not hitting them to my years of driving a motorcycle, and being a veteran which both have increased my situational awareness and luck.

Those were 4 VERY lucky kids.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There are soooo many ways for things to go wrong at those speeds on a public road !

1st, at even 130mph you are covering ~200 fps and that leaves precious little reaction time to avoid any crap in the road (debris of any nature, pothole, dead (or live) animal etc.) and any sudden maneuver is likely to result in loss of control. Even a slight rise in the road can 'hide' some wayward bit of junk until you are right on it.

2nd - tires ! Sooo many things can go wrong at 130+ with your tires. Hitting even a small pothole or frost heave could easily result in a blowout & again, loss of control.

3rd, unless you are a pro racer or do a lot of track driving, you are unlikely to be experienced enough to deal with any control issues at those speeds and that's probably 99.9% of us.

I'll admit, I've had my waahoo moments on isolated, empty stretches of freeway here in the sticks but never as fast as this guy was going - just way too risky for my blood.
I dunno Sir.. I go 90-100mph in my SUV almost every day.. Certainly in a proper sports sedan 130 mph cant be too terrible.

When I had a Mercedes station wagon Rental for a month last year, I would go from Stuttgart to Berlin which would take about 2/3rds of a tank of fuel.. I'd estimate at least half of that was at 110 mph or faster... and that was not a proper sports sedan or sports car.. and I got passed a LOT by much faster traffic..
So 130 mph sustained over long distances seems reasonable for a proper sports sedan like a Q50.

I saw only a single Q50 my entire stay here and it was indeed going about 130 mph I'd say.. cant say the year or engine.. (but the take rate for the Red Sports is almost as high as the base 4cyl engine here)

(there really ARE still very long stretches of no limits here.. the Communists.. ahem the "Greens", haven't destroyed this particular aspect of the country, just yet, though they are working on it..)

·
Registered
435 Posts
It's not speed that kills, it's speed differential that's the big issue. If traffic is going 80 you shouldn't be going 55. I personally feel going 5 over the general traffic on the highway is a LOT safer than going 5 MPH under the surrounding traffic.

Slow drivers are dangerous especially if they "hang" in the passing lane. (Pet peeve)
This!!!

Also, the ones that overtake the slow drivers sometimes end up with a minor case of road rage by speeding up and then cutting off the slow driver when the opportunity presents itself. Thus creating more unsafe driving conditions.

If you’re lolly gagging and driving 55 mph in the passing lane with a line of cars behind you and the lane to your right is empty ahead + behind you, then move over to your right lane!

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
3,466 Posts
👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 and 🖕to those who do rhe left lane hang out BS.

CC at 2 over the limit, then stay in the left lane. 15 cars behind them with the first flashing his lights. Grrr.

I hate to admit I now have ZERO TOLERANCE for this and pass them on the right when I get the chance.

Here there is only 1 passing lane up a long hill on the way to "Town". A slow vehicle in the right and the car infront of me pulls into the left and refuses to move into the right lane b4 the zone ends after passing said vehicle with 2-3 cars behind me all hoping to pass the slow vehicle too..

Now I pass them on the right. 🖕 Them. I've had it will that BS.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
A couple of my buddies are Police Officers, here we don't have Highway Patrol Cops, they are Provincial Police, believe it or not there is no law that states that one can't use the left lane as long as they are doing the speed limit, it's more a courtesy to move over to the right lane.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
3,466 Posts
It's the law in many states . Even big flashing billboards "Keep right except to pass"

When the 55 MPH became the law often 2 big trucks would go side by side going 56 MPH. Not breaking any law, just protesting. Didn't last to long but made the point.

"I can't drive 55!"

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
It's the law in many states . Even big flashing billboards "Keep right except to pass"

When the 55 MPH became the law often 2 big trucks would go side by side going 56 MPH. Not breaking any law, just protesting. Didn't last to long but made the point.

"I can't drive 55!"
We have those big electronic signs here too. My favorite was "The north woods are for camping, not the left lane". There are also plenty of signs saying "Slow traffic keep right". A waste of money here in Wisconsin. The problem is that passing on the right is not illegal as long as it is a regular traffic lane. However, you do so at your own risk. There is no culture of rechts fahren like they have in Germany.

Or Indiana for that matter. In 1972 I was traveling with friends late at night when we were pulled over for traveling in the left lane. I was in the left lane because it was smoother and not a car in sight. Except one. The trooper warned me it was against the law to impede traffic in the left lane. I had no idea. He ran my license and let us go with a warning. Not a word from him that I was going 10 over.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
3,466 Posts
I think that if hanging in the passing lane w/o anyone behind you is ok. The big trucks pound the crap outta concrete roads at the joints. Thump thump, thump thump, thump thump...etc. gets old fast.

Constant repairs for this problem on all the major trucking routes. I80 is a good example. If you think it's bad in a car try it in a Kenworth or a flat face Freightliner. 🙄 I used to drive US mail from Springfield MA to Houston TX, and Jacksonville FL. So I get it.

Common courtesy is the real issue.

Ask me about my OTR stories..some crazy stuff. 😳🤣😂

·
Registered
24 Posts
While I like a fast car, street racing like I see these YouTubers post is stupid...period. Driving triple-digit speeds side by side on a highway with other cars on the road is ridiculous. That idiot kid nailed for doing 191 MPH should be jailed, his license suspended for a long time and the car permanently confiscated just like is done with drunk drivers here. One week of no car and a suspended license for a week is a slap on the wrist. Canada should make it more punitive than that.
That's true!!! Back in August 2011, a drunk driver hit my Jeep Wrangler that I flipped. I was stuck and can't move. I had a surgery on my right knee. It's painful every winter or keeping my knee in 90 degrees for too long. The lady driver survive and had her licenses suspended. She did have a nice reward which paid my medical bills, my car, and many more. I HAVE 0 tolerance on DUI. If you are drunk, there are other ways to get home safely..

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
That's true!!! Back in August 2011, a drunk driver hit my Jeep Wrangler that I flipped. I was stuck and can't move. I had a surgery on my right knee. It's painful every winter or keeping my knee in 90 degrees for too long. The lady driver survive and had her licenses suspended. She did have a nice reward which paid my medical bills, my car, and many more. I HAVE 0 tolerance on DUI. If you are drunk, there are other ways to get home safely..
I'm with you are the zero tolerance! First offense should be six months in the county jail. Second offense, summary execution. No, I'm not kidding. I hate drunk drivers that much. What if you were waving around a loaded pistol and pulling the trigger at random.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
@rpietro, I'm with you, about 5 year's ago coming back from his bachelor's party dicided to drive himself home, killed four people from the same family, because his family was rich, he only got ten years, now he is out after four. He is getting married, the other family doesn't exist anymore.

·
Registered
2017 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport AWD
1,370 Posts

When the 55 MPH became the law often 2 big trucks would go side by side going 56 MPH.
Had this happen to me years go when driving from VT to Western NY via I-90. A semi decided to drive 65 next to his buddy for at least 10+ miles!!! I was in a rental car and found myself behind this asshat semi driver. With about 10-15 cars behind me, I decided I had enough...

Having driven this interstate for years (grew up in the area), I remember a couple of areas with a very wide paved center median, typically for when NYS DOT shuts-off one side of the interstate for a complete pavement re-furb/tear-out. I bided my time, and when I saw the long concrete area to the left of the passing lane, I gunned it and went around the semi on his left side. Made it with room to spare. Hated to do it, but driving boxed-in @ 65 mph for miles I deemed to be more unsafe.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
3,466 Posts
I hate that crap too. Happens with cars on CC too. 2 cars with CC on at 67 MPH sorta side by side neither really passing but moving back n forth due to the differences of their CC. Nobody can pass. Cars stack up behind them in hopes one of them does something besides letting their cars drive them.

Finally one of them wakes up mentally and frees up the passing lane.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Finally one of them wakes up mentally and frees up the passing lane.
If the right lane driver is the one that wakes up by speeding up or slowing down, and if the left lane driver continues lolly gagging, then all hell breaks loose with multiple cars speeding up in the right lane and then cutting off the lolly gagging left lane driver 😐

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,342 Posts
You have to love America! We'll give anyone a driver's license and many people don't even bother getting one...or insurance.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts