Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, it had power. Still not sold on the wood interior, but the guy said later on probably can swap it out, either dealer or 3rd party. Might just wait. Tech is great, played with some of it, would want to play with some of the other features, obviously not the collision prevention system! That will have to be tested in a real occurrence ;) Was cool seeing the energy flow, was running off electric just cruising at 50mph. Difference between my acura CL-S is that the middle console area is obviously much larger, taking away from the seating area, but still comfortable.

Not sure about financing, got approved for $30k at 1.49% for 48 months or 1.95% for 60 months. Might increase it and put less down, not sure. My savings have been for a downpayment on a house.
I would have to put about $28k cash down if I purchase the vehicle, to effectively get about $30k down with the trade-in, to get the payments about $600/mo.

If I were to lease it for 39 months, it would be like $715 a month with just my $2k trade-in. In the $600 range if I were to put $2k cash down with the trade-in. After the 39 months, $31k ish.

I really want the hybrid and deluxe technology, just that maple wood trim. The trunk saddens me too, but I am single and have the back seat, still relatively young, some kids maybe in the future, but can have another car or if I lease, would have a different car at the time.

My biggest decision is depreciating asset, hard to put down so much money for a car, especially a lease, where it seems it just gobbled up somewhere and after 39 months, have nothing to show for it if you do not buy it.

All in all, it handled really well, he let me play with the InTouch screen after taking off the sticker/warning about upgrade, though it played and worked pretty nicely, so whatever upgrades are coming, sure will be even better :)

This car is so tempting, like others on this forum, you only live once. On the other side, I try to be practical, I am coming from an 2002 Acura CL Type S, which only has 136k miles, nothing wrong with it, just paint job going bad due to salt in air. The other side of me looking at waiting for acura TLX or getting a cheaper alternative like a fully loaded mazda6 for $30k. My car isn't dead yet, but looking at options incase I am in an accident or take the car in for maintenance and needs serious work, then I would be getting a new car immediately.

Attached some pics I took as well. Graphite Shadow.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
I feel you man! It is hard to put all that money on a car! In practicality, it doesnt seems to make sense! I feel if you dont care much for perfomance, there are other cars @ a lower price point that can do the job and for just luxury the same can be said but @ a price closer to what infiniti Q50 is offering though! I feel that the Q50 offers the best of both worlds and that's why I went for it! I am upgrading from my 03 G35 Coupe so having 4 doors is an upgrade in itself for me already! Going for the hybrid was a no brainer for me since I save on gas(drive mostly city) and it gives the performance I want! And for the price I configured the hybrid, compared to the configuration I wanted for the gasser version, I am actually saving a bit with the hybrid! The trunk was almost a deal breaker for me but the wifey talked me out of changing my mind so im grateful for that!

All in all just dont jump the gun man! Im sure you know how to weigh your options properly and go with what makes sense and at the same time will make you happy! At one point you dont want to regret your purchase and thinking what if and at the other there is financial stability to be accounted for!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty weak review. Can you please add more details about the driving experience, interior fit and finish, stereo quality, etc.?
I'm hearing impaired, so its tough for me to gauge audio quality, but we listened to ESPN 710 AM and it was crystal clear for me to hear the words well.

One thing about driving, IT WAS SO QUIET. My salesperson told me that they actually had some people decide against the car because of the unnaturalness of being so quiet compared to other cars? LOL really? Being quiet is great for me, because being hearing impaired with 2 hearing aids, the extra noise is a pain for me when I am driving, especially at higher speeds.

Driving around corners was pristine with suspensions and shocks, going over bumps, considering this car has run flats (first car that had them I'm considering other than BMW). Driver told me to wiggle the car around, let it flow with my steering, saw the parking and camera and all around blind spot monitor in action. superb.

I changed from the sport to the standard. Everything is very customizable and pretty much anything in the car, you can change it somewhere in the InTouch. everything is integrated and fueled through that, so if there is something you may want to adjust or turn off permanently or whatnot, it is probably in there.

Interior fit and finish was good, everything used and catered to the driver as it should be, love the vents for the back seat. I just don't like the small trunk, but like the sales guy says..fits two golf bags if you lay them on top of each other and basically nothing else! I figure I would use the back seat often if needed. The interior finish was like my acura when I bought it new, if not better. The only thing I am not liking is the maple wood trim. I may wait to see if Infiniti gives more options later on or 3rd party, or maybe next years model so that way I can compare it to the new acura TLX.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ditto! I love the technology put into the car, probably the only thing I could want extra is vented seats, but I don't have it in my current car, I can do without. I love the saftey, the performance WITH the gas mpg in mind and the luxury looks. I want a car that will be different from the road. There are so many BMWs and other cars on the road right now and I want to be different.

Can't see you beating this price point for all the technology, performance, luxury, saftey, hybrid, etc placed into this car. Obviously the competition will catch up in the future.

I feel you man! It is hard to put all that money on a car! In practicality, it doesnt seems to make sense! I feel if you dont care much for perfomance, there are other cars @ a lower price point that can do the job and for just luxury the same can be said but @ a price closer to what infiniti Q50 is offering though! I feel that the Q50 offers the best of both worlds and that's why I went for it! I am upgrading from my 03 G35 Coupe so having 4 doors is an upgrade in itself for me already! Going for the hybrid was a no brainer for me since I save on gas(drive mostly city) and it gives the performance I want! And for the price I configured the hybrid, compared to the configuration I wanted for the gasser version, I am actually saving a bit with the hybrid! The trunk was almost a deal breaker for me but the wifey talked me out of changing my mind so im grateful for that!

All in all just dont jump the gun man! Im sure you know how to weigh your options properly and go with what makes sense and at the same time will make you happy! At one point you dont want to regret your purchase and thinking what if and at the other there is financial stability to be accounted for!

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Great reviews - thanks for posting!

In terms of the money down, payment, finances, etc. I would weigh the benefits of using that house money on a car. You could always lease and then buy out at the end to keep the payments lower.

While there is no guarantee that a house will appreciate, there is a guarantee that the car will depreciate. That's a lot of money to put down for a car and if the decision is to tight between house money and car money it may be more obvious than you think where you may want to place your priorities.

If you have money or both, or you can figure out how to make it work with both without putting yourself at financial risk then that would be a great way to go. If you have to choose between a house and a car. . .well, that's a personal thing but choose wisely. Especially since you've already mentioned at you could wait a year or more to see what other cars look like. Doesn't look like the bug has bitten you too hard yet.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm planning to buy and probably down about 25-30k depend on the APR.
Do they willing to negotiate at all on the pricing? Is 1.95% APR is the lowest for 60 months?

Not sure about financing, got approved for $30k at 1.49% for 48 months or 1.95% for 60 months. Might increase it and put less down, not sure. My savings have been for a downpayment on a house.
I would have to put about $28k cash down if I purchase the vehicle, to effectively get about $30k down with the trade-in, to get the payments about $600/mo.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm planning to buy and probably down about 25-30k depend on the APR.
Do they willing to negotiate at all on the pricing? Is 1.95% APR is the lowest for 60 months?
Pen Fed is doing 0.49 if you use their car buying program (I don't think the Q50 is in their list yet though - the "car buying program" basically just uses TrueCar). 1.74 if not through the car buying program, up to 60K.

https://www.penfed.org/Auto-Loans-Overview/

EDIT: They do have the Q50 in the Car Buying Program. Since there's no negotiating the price anyway, might be a good idea to go through the program.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I also drove the hybrid sport yesterday

First off, this was a graphite shadow just like the OP. The paint color isn't much different (if at all) from the G37's but it looks great just the same. I've always been longing for that color ever since I got my G35 which is the lighter silver color. I originally wanted that car in the darker silver, but the dealer did not have one handy and I couldn't afford to wait for them to order one specially for me.

The sales guy had just gotten his cars in so wasn't familiar with every little detail, but he did a good job pointing stuff out that I didn't know even after reading this forum for a while. To wit: The door handles have a sensor on the inside that detects your hand (well, any object, I suppose) and so you don't have to push the button on the outside to unlock the door. It will unlock as soon as you put your hand around the handle. Very cool! The button can be used as well to unlock, but must be used to lock (makes sense).

So after getting in the car, the next thing I noticed was that the seats were nice and comfortable. These were the sport seats with the extra extension in the front so that probably helped. The car I ordered is the premium so I won't have that, but the rest of the seat also felt great including the sides and back. I like the material as well. Not as "sticky" as the leather in my G35.

We started up the engine and, like others have noticed in the hybrid, it's completely silent when you start it up. Even the sales guy thought he hadn't done it correctly so he pushed the button again and turned it off! He said "last time the engine came on" but I don't think that's the case since the hybrid never turns on the gas engine when you first start it up, unless there's a glitch there somewhere.

Anyway, so once we got the car started up, he took me through some of the touch screen features. I have admit, it's very obvious why Infiniti doesn't want people playing with the touch screens on there before the update. They are *super* laggy. Coming from a modern smartphone, this is one area where the tech is way, way behind. I don't know what CPU these things have, but I bet my phone from 2 years ago is more powerful (or they left some pre-production test code in there and forgot to take it out). Whatever the case, the screens are usable, but it's a very poor user experience right now. If this isn't cleared up by 8/5, I could see myself reconsidering my purchase plans. It's that bad.

On the good side, however, I like the layout and features of the InTouch and things seemed to work well. FM radio stations automatically get HD if the channel is available. The Bluetooth audio interface worked flawlessly with my Lumia 920 phone and the sound system was noticeably better than my G35 which was a pivotal issue for me. The bass is really present and the highs come through great as well. I could do with a little higher frequency response, but my ears aren't what they used to be so I'll let that slide. :) I was able to test with my own music from my phone and things sounded great.

When it was time to back out of the parking spot, the screen switched to the around view camera. I had seen this in action before since a friend has a new JX35, but I've never been behind the wheel for it. So this was a new thing for me. It's really, really cool! There are very little areas where the camera can't see (even better than the JX) and so you really do have a 360 degree top down view of the car. The image isn't super high res so you may not be able to work out what exactly an obstacle is, but you can definitely see that one is there (like a curb). And you can even use the side camera to make sure you don't curb check your wheel when you parallel park. The side cameras are on the mirrors so the doors need to be closed (duh!) and the mirrors can't be stowed inwards (another duh).

So backing out of the spot was a much different experience than what I was used to. Once I got going in the parking lot a little, I noticed the steering wheel and how nice it felt. I don't know what's different exactly, but it felt more padded and thicker, perhaps. It also moved more smoothly and the steering response was *much* tighter than my G35. More on that later. I switched to the front camera to see how that works while driving slowly, and that's great for seeing how close your front end is to an obstacle. It helped me navigate through the parking lot a bit.

We finally got on the road and I noticed the firmness in the ride and how quiet the interior is. We had the A/C on so there was fan noise, but very little vibration in the car itself. Obviously, with the steering decoupled from the mechanics of the wheels, there is no road vibration in the steering wheel. That's not to say the wheel is 100% vibration free. Some of the natural vibration of a moving vehicle is felt through the wheel, but that should be small enough to give you that "I'm in motion" feeling and not much beyond.

The sales guy said "drive it like you want" so that was enough for me to test out the acceleration. I was initially a bit disappointed in the launch characteristics. I wasn't standing still when I floored it and I didn't put the pedal down all the way, that contributed and the A/C was on so that might have played a part as well. But the launch wasn't great. But then we stopped at a red light. On green, I floored it and we took off. Seriously took off. It was akin to my '99 Corvette. Not the same feel as the V8 in that, obviously, but the acceleration was there. I asked the guy if he knew the 0-60 time and he said "4.8" I said, "Really? Where'd you get that number?" and he said it was from one of the guys on the track in Texas when they had first taken the cars out for a ride on the track. That's for the hybrid, of course.

Now, I can't tell in my time with the car if that is accurate or not, but it *seemed* fast. I was at 60 in no time at all so it can't be far off. All I know, is that if a BMW 3 tries to drag me at a light, he's in for a rude awakening. Not that I would do that often. :) Never did, even in my Vette.

Anyway, so the acceleration was there, ride was very smooth. The tires felt hard, but not too bad. These were Dunlops, not Bridgestones. Not sure if all the cars are like that, but this was a Sport, not a Premium so the tires on the Prem could be different. No one seemed to know. They did not have any hybrid Prems in yet.

But in all that, the most impressive thing to me was the handling. It was an unexpected surprise. I would say the difference between the Q and G is almost night and day. A huge, huge improvement. (Mind you, I have an '05 G35, so maybe it's huge *for me*). Anyway, as I said before, the steering response is fantastic. Very small movements in the wheel result in equally small movements in the car. There is no "dead zone" where the steering wheel turns but the wheels do not. There is also virtually 0 lag time between steering and wheels. Very impressive. So this is the steer by wire tech, eh? The sales guy showed me the settings screen for this and there are 2 settings. I think these are steering response and steering sensitivity. Response seems to be how fast the wheels react to movements in the steering wheel, and sensitivity is the ratio of steering wheel to car wheels. We had both settings on the lowest which I really, really liked. He said you may want to change that for different driving situations, but it felt great to me.

(As an aside, I work on a racing video game for a living and I am very familiar with this stuff overall).

I tested the handling on various curves, turns, etc and it really hugged the road. I was afraid to push it, but I surely could have. The balance felt great and I did not ever feel like the rear end was going to break loose. The only issue with the handling is that the car is a sedan. I was used to a very low center of gravity, and light car in my vette and obviously this doesn't handle as well as that did, but for a sedan, I'd say its fantastic.

On the way back, made a left turn onto a wide open road and floored as I apexed the turn. It took off this time and before I could look down I was already at 70MPH. Braking from that seemed fine. I'm not really a brake expert so I'll say that the car stopped fine and didn't nose dive. I really didn't do any hard braking since I just don't find it that critical in my driving.

One thing I did notice is the feature that auto-brakes for you when you get too close to the car in front. I'll need to decide if I like that or not, but it's a welcome feature. Also the sales guy said the cruise control is laser guided and you can dial in a speed and number of car lengths and it'll do the rest. You can even use it set to 70MPH in stop and go traffic and it will "just work". Pretty cool. We didn't test it out, however.

When we got back, I used the around view cameras to pull into the parking spot and again was impressed by how much it helps you align and not hit the curb in front of the car. Not that I desperately need this feature, but with it I surely would have avoided scraping my front bumper on a few occasions.

The last thing we did was check out the trunk. On the hybrid, it's small. I mean really small. Disappointingly small. A deal breaker? For me, no since we also own an SUV which does most of the heavy lifting these days anyway. But for picking my parents up from the airport, I will have to get creative. I can maybe fit one of their ginourmous suitcases in there, but two would be nigh impossible. Fortunately, there's more room in the back seat so it'll fit there. But hey, it's better than the 'vette. :) For those without a second car with a bigger trunk, if trunk space is important, this could be a major issue. Also, there is no spare tire because of the run flats (same as my vette). Not a huge deal for me, especially after driving and feeling that the tires (at least the Dunlops on the Sport model) didn't feel terrible.

Overall, it's everything I hoped it would. A couple of disappointments, but mostly very positive. At $53K without tax, it's pricey (my vette cost $44K in 1999 if you can believe that), but seems to be worth it considering all the tech packed into it.

They invited me back for second test drive if I felt like I needed to see more and I may take them up on it. My car is due to arrive at the dealer on 8/2, but they said they absolutely cannot let anyone go home in one until 8/5 at the earliest. So it doesn't matter when my car arrives as long as its before 8/5.

Feel free to ask me any additional questions you may have.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Anyway, so once we got the car started up, he took me through some of the touch screen features. I have admit, it's very obvious why Infiniti doesn't want people playing with the touch screens on there before the update. They are *super* laggy. Coming from a modern smartphone, this is one area where the tech is way, way behind. I don't know what CPU these things have, but I bet my phone from 2 years ago is more powerful (or they left some pre-production test code in there and forgot to take it out). Whatever the case, the screens are usable, but it's a very poor user experience right now. If this isn't cleared up by 8/5, I could see myself reconsidering my purchase plans. It's that bad.
Worked great on the one I test drove Thursday and Friday...maybe yours hadn't been updated yet...it was not slow at all...

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
None have been updated yet so it's interesting to hear some people say its fast and some say slow. This is why the dealers aren't supposed to be letting anyone play with intouch. The sticker is supposed to remain over the lower screen. As to the tires it's embarrassing that your dealer didn't know what's on their own website information not to mention forums like this. All the 19's, no matter premium, sport, or hybrid come with the Dunlops and all the 17's come with Bridgestones.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Great write up - thanks for taking the time!!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Awesome review man! Makes me excited to test drive my Q50 already but unfortunately my dealer still wont let us do that! :(

Anyways thanks for sharing your insight about the Q50 man! Maybe pics next time? :D

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I've been hearing a lot of different reactions concerning the lag of the Intouch system. I can only speculate that between the experiences in the feedback, the systems were at different points in their updates/software upgrades between them.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
I've been hearing a lot of different reactions concerning the lag of the Intouch system. I can only speculate that between the experiences in the feedback, the systems were at different points in their updates/software upgrades between them.
None have been upgraded yet and frankly there hasn't been one shred of evidence that the upgrade is even designed to address the speed of the system, that has just been pure conjecture by all of us.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Excellent write-up. Lots of encouraging feedback.

As far as the InTouch system goes, I was told by one of the guys at West Houston Infiniti that none of their cars had been updated yet. They expected the update to occur sometime this coming week. I personally did not want to look at the car until they had this system working in its ready-for-prime-time version. We'll see how it looks at that point.

Another note of interest for those in the Houston area - West Houston Infiniti is expecting 30 more Q50s to be delivered this coming week. It is supposed have sports and hybrids in this next batch. So maybe we can test them all here soon. Maybe there will also be a full selection of interior/exterior color combinations. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.