Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Texting is a modern part of everyday life for both individuals and businesses. Successful businesses will target their audiences very specifically, which in this day and age, means communicating through text messages. But how, exactly, did texting become the main form of communication?

In the beginning

Though the very first text message was sent in 1992, texting didn’t really become popular until the early 2000s. Kids were all over it. The idea that you could send an instant message to someone through their phone was amazing! It seemed way easier than calling and leaving a message because you didn’t have to wait while the phone rings. Then, if you were to leave a message, you would have no quick confirmation that they got it, unless they called you back and left you a message too. On top of that, it is way easier to communicate times, dates, names, and places when you can just type them in a text instead of hoping the person on the other end of the line heard the right information. Communicating is just easier when you can instantly send information to someone.

Making it easy

The ease of texting information led to a huge decrease in phone calls. In fact, in 2007, more texts were sent than phone calls for the first time ever, according to Rebtel.com. Now, we are to the point where texting is our main form of communication. It is used between people for conversation, and businesses now use it to offer deals and bargains to their loyal customers.

Why use texting?

For individuals, using texting means you will get the right information to your friends. It means you can check something very quickly without having to make the other person on the other end of the line wait for you. It is a much more efficient way to talk to friends and make plans.

For businesses, texting is the best way to tell your loyal customers that you appreciate them. It is the best way to offer a quick deal when they need a pick me up. When there is no business, you can encourage people to come in. Talk to your customers and get them excited about what you have to offer. No matter what you are trying to sell, texting will benefit you.

Mobile technology news brought to you by www.businesstexter.com

Sources: The Evolution of the Text Message

·
Registered
585 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
O.K., texting is the wave of the future for communication, and it's here now. But let me play devil's advocate and reaffirm my standing as this forum's old fart:

The one big advantage I see for it, is that it allows you to perfectly form your ideas before passing them on, which is what we do here(except for people who don't screen their posts before sending them). However, when we receive a text(and by we, I mean you, because I don't partake), we lose the nuance in someone's voice that also conveys a message. We lose the richness of the connection we have with that person. We've seen the cartoons, based on real life, where two teenagers are texting each other, even though they are in the same room. No, I want the connection with a voice, that texting just doesn't convey. I can't help but think of eating nutritious food that has no taste - it keeps us healthy, but has no "life" and isn't enjoyable. While on vacation with a dear friend for two weeks, it was still annoying that she was so addicted to her phone, constantly texting what she was doing at the time. Conversations were interrupted and opportunities missed to appreciate something together. It's like people who are addicted to video games, that they don't get to see the rest of the real world. I very much hope that some day, people decide they want more than dry words on a screen.

One more thing: One reason phones are banned in most schools(or at least, during class) is that kids figured out that texting was a great way of cheating during tests.

·
Registered
585 Posts
O.K., texting is the wave of the future for communication, and it's here now. But let me play devil's advocate and reaffirm my standing as this forum's old fart:

The one big advantage I see for it, is that it allows you to perfectly form your ideas before passing them on, which is what we do here(except for people who don't screen their posts before sending them). However, when we receive a text(and by we, I mean you, because I don't partake), we lose the nuance in someone's voice that also conveys a message. We lose the richness of the connection we have with that person. We've seen the cartoons, based on real life, where two teenagers are texting each other, even though they are in the same room. No, I want the connection with a voice, that texting just doesn't convey. I can't help but think of eating nutritious food that has no taste - it keeps us healthy, but has no "life" and isn't enjoyable. While on vacation with a dear friend for two weeks, it was still annoying that she was so addicted to her phone, constantly texting what she was doing at the time. Conversations were interrupted and opportunities missed to appreciate something together. It's like people who are addicted to video games, that they don't get to see the rest of the real world. I very much hope that some day, people decide they want more than dry words on a screen.

One more thing: One reason phones are banned in most schools(or at least, during class) is that kids figured out that texting was a great way of cheating during tests.
I see your point and I agree that sometimes the human interaction is important. There are other times when not having the human interaction helps take the "drama" out of a situation because people are able to deal with "black and white" text without the subtleties of how the question is asked.

For instance, my wife tends to be extremely analytical (my Brother-in-Law refers to it as "analysis paralysis". She not only analyzes "what" is presented, but also "how" it is presented. There are times that I want a "yes" or "no" answer (and don't have a vested interest in the answer). As an example, lets say that I'm on my way back from somewhere, and I'll be going by a grocery store. Trying to be efficient, I used to call her and ask her "hey, do you need anything from the grocery store". Because of the way her mind works, that would turn into a call on where I was, why I was there, what did I do, what grocery store, did I really want to stop, etc. etc.

Now, I send a text message. "Do you need anything from the store - list it on Remember the Milk"

She inputs what she needs in an app called Remember the Milk (google it - terrific app for computer and smart phone), I go to the store and get the goods, and we are both much happier because we didn't have the additional baggage of a telephone call.

I was anti-text at the beginning of the smart phone era. Once I discovered that I couldn't communicate with my kids without it, it became an integral part of my communication arsenal.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I see your point and I agree that sometimes the human interaction is important. There are other times when not having the human interaction helps take the "drama" out of a situation because people are able to deal with "black and white" text without the subtleties of how the question is asked.

For instance, my wife tends to be extremely analytical (my Brother-in-Law refers to it as "analysis paralysis". She not only analyzes "what" is presented, but also "how" it is presented. There are times that I want a "yes" or "no" answer (and don't have a vested interest in the answer). As an example, lets say that I'm on my way back from somewhere, and I'll be going by a grocery store. Trying to be efficient, I used to call her and ask her "hey, do you need anything from the grocery store". Because of the way her mind works, that would turn into a call on where I was, why I was there, what did I do, what grocery store, did I really want to stop, etc. etc.

Now, I send a text message. "Do you need anything from the store - list it on Remember the Milk"

She inputs what she needs in an app called Remember the Milk (google it - terrific app for computer and smart phone), I go to the store and get the goods, and we are both much happier because we didn't have the additional baggage of a telephone call.

I was anti-text at the beginning of the smart phone era. Once I discovered that I couldn't communicate with my kids without it, it became an integral part of my communication arsenal.
You do realize that I'm texting this post to your wife, right?:D

·
Registered
51 Posts
You do realize that I'm texting this post to your wife, right?:D

LOL :p

All kidding aside, I will not do business with ANYONE who texts me..period. Call me old school but I like the 1 on 1 business interaction.

I believe the majority of texting is for social and very little of it is used for business. THe only time I like texting is when it comes to locations or places or meetings, then I have it there to enter it into my calender of events.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.